Hi everyone,
    I have a Storm currently, but the reception is horrible. I am curious if the pearl will have better reception. I will be living in Florida, south of Jacksonville.
    Also, how is everyone liking their pearl? anyone leave a storm and go to a pearl? just curious. I like my storm but the reception is very poor for me.
    i am on verizon and already on a contract, but i am thinking about buying one off ebay or maybe the marketplace.

thanks for your help.
    wendy
    06-05-09 12:05 PM
    How often do you plan on using your backup phone?
    06-05-09 12:09 PM
    I love my Pearl!!! It I think has great reception too. I bought my Pearl off of Ebay cause I am wanting one of the new BB's that are coming out but I will keep my Pearl active.
    06-05-09 12:35 PM
    I had a Pearl for a year before getting my Storm last week. I'm not looking back now. (How much are you willing to pay for a used Pearl? PM me if you're interested.)
    06-05-09 12:36 PM
    312, thanks for responding. i am thinking about using the pearl for a while just to see how the reception is. and probably switch back and forth between the two. i have only had the storm for a couple of months.
    06-05-09 12:39 PM
    I think the Pearl is pretty cost effective as a backup, but, I have a feeling that you'll end up using it full time if you're having a reception issue. Have you done a PRL update on your Storm?
    06-05-09 12:41 PM
    Itoeppe, i am going to keep an eye on ebay

312, yes i have done an PRL update and it still didnt help.

Scooter, i tried pm'ing you and emailing you but i dont have enough posts yet.
    i have no idea how much to pay for one? is yours through verizon? if not could it still be used on verizon? my husband doesnt even know i am looking into getting a pearl. he knows i am having problems with reception though. he bought this storm for me when it wasnt even time for upgrade, so i kind of feel bad about even looking. but i tell ya i hate being on a call and it just cuts me off. if i can get one at a pretty good price i would get it. but i am not sure what a good price is lol...the storm was my first bb. maybe we can correspond by emailing, can you try emailing me?
    06-05-09 12:52 PM
    I got mine for $98 dollars they vary in prices on ebay I have great luck with mine. I love it alot I am really addicted to BlackBerry and the Pearl plus I like the size of the Pearl it is compact too.
    Let me know when you decide if I can help let me know I can refer you to some great sellers off ebay.
    Lisa
    06-05-09 05:09 PM
    Lisa, thanks for your information. Yes, please let me know the sellers you have used off ebay. I would appreciate it alot. I know what you mean about the size. I like the storm but it is bulky and I miss being able to put my phone into my pocket sometimes. Thanks again.
    06-05-09 08:02 PM
    Hi Wendy you can catch me on yahoo right now if ya wanna chat!!! lisatoeppe I am on yahoo. then I will send you some links. I can also email them to you as well. I always run in invisible mode but always on either BlackBerry wise or yahoo. You can get me on BB messenger.
    Thanks,
    Lisa
    06-05-09 08:22 PM
    I really love my pearl. My friend has the storm and he is always losing reception while I have plenty of it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 11:22 AM
    i give it a 10 out of 10 on the reception quality. my parents house always gets bad reception on verizon and with all my old phones i had to go outside to make calls. with the pearl i can use it anywhere in the house no problem
    06-08-09 02:57 PM
    I had a 8130 pearl for a few months and picked up the storm on release day. Just recently went back to my pearl, got tired of the clickscreen and the bulkiness of the storm. I think I might end up ebay'ing the storm.
    06-08-09 03:01 PM
    I order a pearl off ebay and should be getting it in a few days. I am very excited about getting it. I am little concerned about the typing on the pearl. But the storm had a learning curve too lol

06-08-09 03:05 PM
    Hey let us know how you like the Pearl when you get it activated I think you will be pleased with what this small phone can do.

06-09-09 12:06 AM
    Hey Lisa! We move to Florida tomorrow. We hope to have the pearl there when we get there. It is suppse to be Fedex there. I am looking forward to trying the Pearl.
    06-09-09 06:00 AM
    I order a pearl off ebay and should be getting it in a few days. I am very excited about getting it. I am little concerned about the typing on the pearl. But the storm had a learning curve too lol

I have big hands and I could type on the Pearl just fine. SureType is still the fastest way to type and I use it almost always on my Storm
    06-09-09 10:37 AM
    I love the pearl 8130 but I've never used another BB. I'm in Mississippi and I've got cellular south (I'm pretty sure they're in Florida too if you're looking to switch carriers) and ive never had a problem with coverage. Some old phones I've had dropped calls all the time with the same carrier and basically same location. But like I said, this the only BB I've ever had. Cellular south has always been good to me and I'm sure the carrier has plenty to do with dropped calls too.

As far as the price goes, my phone was a gift so I don't know what they go for but my plan runs me about $56 a month (500 min, unlimited data and text.)

Now the typing I am still getting used to and I've got pretty big thumbs but its still faster than a conventional phone keypad layout. I actually like it more than the full qwerty layout.

Overall, I have to say this is the best phone I've ever had and I've heard a lot more complaints about the storm than the pearl. Hope you enjoy the new phone and your new home!

06-09-09 11:49 AM
    I hope you enjoy your new Pearl Wendy let me know when you get it. Have a safe trip down.
    06-09-09 05:51 PM
    Wendy, this is kind of after the fact, as you've already purchased your pearl, but just wanted to say that I LOVE mine, and my husband has the storm, he as trouble with good reception too, I never do, period. He gets so frustrated while I just grin and happily use my little 'o pearl. Can't wait to hear what you think of it! I was very jealous when he got the storm, but now that I've used both I wouldn't trade my pearl for a storm for anything, its just a nice, reliable, solid device.

06-12-09 09:20 PM
    Ive had my pearl for about 3 months now and its been such a change from a "regular phone." Its a great little phone. It does all its tasks wonderfully. The only issue I have with it sometimes is the memory. If you don't have a card then you always have to keep an eye on how much free space you have. Other than that its a great powerful little phone.
    06-12-09 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD