I've heard a bit about memory leak problems plaguing this device, but haven't run into any problems myself. How pervasive are the problems, and what causes them? What tends to trigger the leak...too many calls in the log? To many saved e-mails? Too many apps running simultaneously? And, how do you know when the problem is occurring...only after you have lost data, or is there a way to more proactively monitor the situation?
    02-24-08 07:07 PM
    this is it - when you have as you said, too many apps, too many saved emails, or to many things going on at once, your "free bytes" or memory is reduced, making your handheld slower and causing it to not be able to function at full capacity.

because of this, your phone may "leak" messages, etc because the system memory is low. in my case it happened only once and at this point my memory or "free bytes" under status in options was at 0...

people have said to close your apps using the menu, close not jsut the red button for that just hides them

also, delete any unused apps and or messages for they rack up.

Finally, do a soft reset (battery pull) about once or twice a week

that should do it!
    02-24-08 08:15 PM
    A "memory leak" is an expression that describes a programs behaviour. If the program does not return tempory memory but continues to claim new memory. The end result is a shrinking of the memory pool and eventually a collapse.

That is not what is happening with the device, the programs are working correctly. What is claiming memory is the browser content cache. It grows until the device is forced to reclaim space. That is where the old stuff is going.

A regular back up and a restart of the device is the best way to minimise the impact.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-08 08:40 PM
    I have found that mine will loose a couple Mb a day if I open and close the programs a lot. Whenever you open a program it "barrows" memory from the device. When you close that program it's supposed to give that memory back so other programs can use it. It's like if I barrow a dollar and only give back 97 cents. Eventually there's no memory left and the BB starts deleting old messages. Once your memory gets down to 0 it wont even save new text messages or call logs.

Did that sum it up well enough?
    02-25-08 12:26 AM
    Yes, thanks for the posts that clarify this. One question: how do I check total device memory vs. remaining memory so I know when it is time to do the battery removal work-around?
    02-25-08 02:39 PM
    Options > Status. Compare file free against file total.
    The memory is shown in bytes 1024 bytes =1kb, 1024kb = 1MB.
    02-25-08 02:43 PM
    I ordered a 4gb card, will this get rid/drastically reduce this?
    02-27-08 10:43 PM
    I ordered a 4gb card, will this get rid/drastically reduce this?
    No. The memory problem has to do with the system memory.
    02-27-08 10:45 PM
    All of a sudden all my text messages have disappeared and I get notified for having received a new msg, but when I go to read it...the inbox is empty. Is this caused by the mem leak? I checked my options > status and my bytes are well in the thousands =/ weird. I just bought this phone a month ago!
    02-29-08 12:59 PM
    No. The memory problem has to do with the system memory.
    You're partly correct. If he's storing ringtones, wallpapers, etc., on the BB directly, that WILL use up space much faster, which can be reclaimed if he moves all that to the media card.
    02-29-08 01:02 PM
    All of a sudden all my text messages have disappeared and I get notified for having received a new msg, but when I go to read it...the inbox is empty. Is this caused by the mem leak? I checked my options > status and my bytes are well in the thousands =/ weird. I just bought this phone a month ago!

Mine was doing this too, and Ive only had the phone for a month.....My free memory still had over tons of bytes when it was deleting my call logs, SMS history, etc.....from now on as per other threads on this site, I've installed the soft reset app and will use it frequently, as well as clear my cache cookies...and I got rid of apps i really dont use...will have to monitor it to see if that has helped
    02-29-08 01:10 PM
    Have to weigh in... I got the pearl (VZW) to help manage my life with the calendar, contacts as well as SMS, MMS. The reviews I heard were 99% good. Well I am on my second 8130 and it's about to go back for a non BB device. It makes me sad!

The first one kept freezing up. This was aside from losing memory and missing text messages. I get pages from my employer, etc so I can't miss messages due to poor engineering on the part of BB. The second phone doesn't freeze up but the memory leak is horrible. I start the day at 15meg and by 1pm have to do a battery pull because the free space is down under 9 meg. I do receive lots of email but clean it out rapidly. The only additional program installed is google sync, Viigo, and VZ Nav. None of which are used frequently. It also drops calls in barely marginal signal areas.

I did use the VZ Nav for about 3 hours Saturday and the memory usage was alarming.

Now, I like playing with technology and phones. But to keep watching the free memory status hourly and having to pull the battery at least once a day in order to keep from missing important messages is too steep a price to pay.

Either today or tomorrow it's going back for probably the Moto v9m. I really wanted a "smart phone". The other smart phones offered by VZW are bricks. So, back to a reliable flip I go.
    I don't intend to offend you BB addicts. BB's are pretty cool! I like lots of the BB features, enjoy!
    03-17-08 09:15 AM
    I have had no issues with my 8130 it just sounds like you had bad luck. I bb messenger/text/browse all the time on my pearl and have had no issues.
    03-17-08 09:31 AM
    Most likely..... sort of gettin' used to it! lol

I have had no issues with my 8130 it just sounds like you had bad luck. I bb messenger/text/browse all the time on my pearl and have had no issues.
    03-17-08 09:43 AM
    Let's hope that the 'memory leak' is addressed when/if they release the new OS
    03-18-08 02:26 PM
    My pearl definitely got better with the upgraded OS.
    03-18-08 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD