I've had my bb less than a week, and today I discovered the standyby mode, via the button at the top of my 8130.

Does anyone know if you can assign this button another function, kinda like the way you can assign the side keys?
    06-04-08 11:10 PM
    No, sorry, the button on top is only for muting calls or putting the device into standby mode. The only programmable buttons are the right and left side convenience keys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 11:22 PM
    Ah ha! Thanks for the info - BUT your response makes me ask another question (can you tell I'm a newbie)

So, that top button puts the phone in standby mode. Ok, great.

You also say that it puts the phone on mute......

So my question is, when I get an incoming call, but I don't want to answer it.... I feel bad hitting ignore, becuase that sends the caller directly to voice mail correct? So if I hit the "mute" button, does that let the call ring tottaly out and then go to voice mail?
    06-04-08 11:37 PM
    The volume keys on the side do that, i'm not sure about the top
    06-04-08 11:40 PM
    The mute key does let the call ring out. That is one of my favourite keys when that annoying client keeps calling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-08 06:06 AM
    Awesome - So I can press either the top button or the side buttons to let the call ring out, but "mute" the noise.

Thanks for the info guys!
    06-05-08 08:40 PM
    Hi, quick question from another newbie - sort of related - on my 8310, when I press the standby button and put the phone away, my calls are going directly to VM. Is this standard behavior? I was just trying to shut the screen off/lock it to stop accidental presses.

Thanks.
    06-11-08 12:14 AM
    Yes that is standard. By putting the phone into standby, you are not locking the screen. There is already a feature on the device which will lock the screen which is totally independent.
    06-11-08 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD