Every once and a while I think my BB is nuked.

The other day I tried to play some music and it went to the player, but would not start the song...

So after trying it a few times I did a battery pull.

This is what worried me.

After the battery pull the red led light went off a few times then the dreaded hour glass.

So I just let it sit awhile doing its thing.

Getting impatient I did another battery pull, and then a few more, and nothing. So then I did one last one and let it sit for an hour.

Thinking it was nuked I dl'ed all the software I was going to need to try and fix what I thought was my first nuked BB.

Then when I turned it on one last time I finally got my provider screen and it started up with no problem.. And its been fine ever since.

So, my question is, has anybody had this happen?? I haven't installed any software or anything.. Most I've done is watched vids on vtap.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 07:51 PM
    This is almost like watching scenes in a movie where the parachute won't open and the hero keeps pulling and pulling and breaking and backup and pulling.

On a serious note you may want to take a backup, wipe and install a fresh OS, and then used the advanced restore functions to restore just the databases you need and build the rest up fresh.
    07-02-08 08:07 PM
    When you do a battery pull do it for at least 30 seconds.

07-02-08 08:24 PM
    BBs don't reboot like PCs do. Remeber they aren't processing power houses so patience is a must. I believe it takes 2 or 3 minutes to reboot. Alt+right shift+del will also peform a reboot and is more convinient and puts less wear on the battery cover and contacts. I can't imagine incomplete booting is any good for the OS or other software on the BB. I know with PCs incomplete boot up and shut downs harm the OS and software I would assume the same with other platforms. The hourglass is not a bad thing. It is there to let you know the BB is processing. If it weren't there people would think something is wrong, like maybe their BB is broke or froze up.

07-02-08 10:52 PM
    ...Getting impatient I did another battery pull, and then a few more, and nothing. So then I did one last one and let it sit for an hour...
    I believe you have just outlined your own problem. After pulling your battery BE PATIENT. Pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling is NOT the answer!! You're making it so much worse when you pull the battery back out before the last reset is complete.

...you may want to take a backup, wipe and install a fresh OS, and then used the advanced restore functions to restore just the databases you need...
    BBIronMan has exactly the same thought as I did on this, I would highly recommend taking his advice!!
    07-02-08 11:21 PM
    sometimes you just have to wait the 30 seconds is all
    07-02-08 11:24 PM
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I have 4.3 on my computer, so I will backup and reinstall.

THX guys.

07-02-08 11:52 PM
    just want to clarify one last thing.

so to wipe I just go to options, then security... so on.

then I just go to BB desk top on my box, and update from there�

simple as that?
    07-03-08 12:31 AM
    Before you go to this extreme, pull all your media off your card and reformat it, quite possible your card is the culprit since you were messing with media when it happened.
    GL

07-03-08 02:23 AM
    Good idea, fonebrkr! I never would've thought of that...

07-03-08 02:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD