Ok stupid ? Can I get those lil smiley faces etc to include in SMS texts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-08 11:34 AM
    Ok stupid ? Can I get those lil smiley faces etc to include in SMS texts?

Sorry to say not in sms, mms or email. BB Messenger yes.
    03-04-08 12:20 PM
    Is it just me or do a lot of these newbies have extremely high expectations for what a phone should be able to do? The latest BlackBerry phones are amazing and for the most part I am happy with mine. To me it seems like people expect these phones to be exactly like their computer. To be able to do anything and everything they want with no limitations what so ever in capabilities.
    03-04-08 12:28 PM
    Not so much that, in the fact that a lot come over from regular cell phones, can use sms, mms for messaging, and have the option to use smileys. This is just an example, but you get my drift. My cell phone did it why can't this.
    Also, they are not use to all it can do. How many with a regular cell could get email, surf the web with a real browser, sync info, etc.
    We all got to learn somehow, somewhere, and as you know, people get more info and are better informed coming here and asking vs CS.
    How many times have you or I or any of the regulars answered the same post only worded differently right next to each other. Yea it does get repetitive after a while, but again they come here looking for help, and we try no matter how many time we type... you need the OS loaded to!
    03-04-08 12:52 PM
    its NOT that ppl expect that the BB should be like their computer ... its that people expect the BB to be better than their old phone ... i agree with you sunkast ... the BB is an AWSOME piece of technology and its only going to get better! ... but with other phone makers having tons of features built into their subBB phones ppl expect the BB to have all of those features and more ... when in reality the BB is kinda playing ketch-up (hehehe) to other phones in the consumer market ...
    03-04-08 12:53 PM
    I have so many FAQ's and Stickies bookmarked so I can grab a link quickly. I don't mind helping, I was there too (recently)
    03-04-08 12:55 PM
    That's I've have started doing myself Chaz. It's annoys me when people say "well my old cellphone could do such and such." But they don't get they are using a different phone now, its not going to be the same.
    03-04-08 01:02 PM
    first of all i never said i expected that the BB could use smileys. it was a simple question. i searched the forums, couldn find anything on it so i asked. sorry forgot some of us know everything
    03-04-08 11:54 PM
    first of all i never said i expected that the BB could use smileys. it was a simple question. i searched the forums, couldn find anything on it so i asked. sorry forgot some of us know everything
    It was nothing against you personally. Just general frustration crap.
    03-05-08 12:02 AM
    C J L welcome to CB
    Hope you stick around. The people here are generally very cool.
    03-05-08 05:29 AM
    considering that i have a 2 year old sanyo that was able to do emoticons in sms. its no surprise that people expect a current phone such as the feature rich BB's to support them.
    but these are business oriented phones brought to the consumer level, so i can see why they dont.. yet. but i was a bit surprised that the bb couldnt do it either

and you have over 1000 posts here sunkast, since december of 07. your no stranger to the BB or these forums, might i suggest that if you are frustrated posting up in a newbies posts isnt a good place to vent. that person may take it the wrong way.

cheers
    03-05-08 06:04 AM
    There is a program in the CB store that will allow you to use emotiocons in email, SMS any mms messages. Program is called Berrycons. Tried to post the link but CB won't allow me until I have made 10 posts lol.

03-05-08 06:37 AM
    berricons will allow you to look at the face and select, but once you do it still inputs the code and not automatically the face. In other words, if i send you a , it shows up as a : ) and not the face itself. So its great if you want to send the faces but cant remember all those goofy codes, but if you want to see them when they arrive it still wont help at all.
    03-31-08 11:09 AM
    Is it just me or do a lot of these newbies have extremely high expectations for what a phone should be able to do? The latest BlackBerry phones are amazing and for the most part I am happy with mine. To me it seems like people expect these phones to be exactly like their computer. To be able to do anything and everything they want with no limitations what so ever in capabilities.
    Coming from a Treo background, I must admit it's a little frustrating in the lack of third party apps out there. When you look at the Palm OS, there's so much stuff out there that you can configure your phone to do about anything. I think the problem here is when people get too greedy and try to replace their PC with their smartphone and this is when everything starts to crash and I think that's the main reason people complain about the Treos not being stable. If you used it relatively out of box, then it's not going to crash (WM5 is a different story...Microsoft just loves to crash!!)

Despite the frustration in the lack of third party apps of the BB, I think it's a great device for work. It's definitely geared towards the business user and I think as more and more average Joes that may not be associated with the Corporate America world make the transition from Treos and other smartphones to the BB, there's going to be more griping.
    03-31-08 01:54 PM
    One thing I liked about CB from the start is that everyone was so friendly and patient. I have recommended a few people to CB and I hope they would get the same welcome I did. the newbies like myself might have questions that seem repetitive or what some might think are "dumb" but we are new here and just need some education. I hope after reading this thread that newcomers will still feel free to ask. Thanks to all pd you who have been patient with me.

03-31-08 09:28 PM
    That was supposed to be thanks to all of you not "pd.". Lol. SureType strikes again.

03-31-08 09:33 PM
    I hardly find it a high expectation for a phone to be able to display emoticons. Many phones can handle them and have been able to do so for years. As more consumers begin to purchase BBs (I have seen many in my high school using them, for instance), you're going to get questions like this from people who have come from phones that already have these features. To them, why shouldn't a BB have emoticons? Their last cheapy phone had it...a relatively expensive BB should have them too.

(On the other hand...I don't care. I don't use them very often anyways).
    03-31-08 10:25 PM
    coming from various other types of wm "dumb"phones, i was never able to receive emoticons from other regular cellphones. i just got a few lines of garbage txt, which was annoying but i never cared, but even now, im happy sticking to >p. txt based dirty looks will never go out of style!
    04-01-08 07:43 PM
    I know this is an old thread but I am wondering if there are any new updates that allow this on the pearl

01-24-10 01:11 PM
    OS5 for my tour has given me them in sms. Haven't kept up, but I don't think the pearl is going to get 5.0 OS.

Cheers
    01-24-10 11:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD