I'll try to make this painless. I'm front the storm forums, for months I've been taking releases for the storm and reduce them in size to allow for free memory. (for example normal java folder size for a storm release is about 80mbs. in my releases its about 25mbs (on average). I did this for a bunch of my friends on alltel that had pearls. It's going so well I thought I would share it to everyone on CB.

You can remove all of these things yourself (as shown on the forum) but this is for those who don't want to go through files and worry about what do delete and what not to.

The normal java folder for .131 is 40.1mb - 416 files, this version is 20.2mbs - 252 files.

those who have tried it have reported anywhere from 22 to 26mbs a free memory at boot

INSTALLATION
    Download and install .131 here http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/new...nguage-152441/

find the .131 folder after installation (x:/program files/common files/RIM/shared/ .131

delete everything inside this folder.

Download the slimmed down version here
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

extract the contents into the .131 folder and run apploader to install the OS.

IF YOU DON"T HAVE ALLTEL

You'll have to add the theme for your carrier.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    here is a rar file of all the carrier themes.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/memo...92/#post369899
    see this post to figure out which theme you need. Then copy it in your java folder inside the .131 folder.

WHAT I REMOVED (I will update this as I remember more)
    -ANY LANGUAGE NOT ENGLISH (sorry for anything this excludes)
    -VAD
    -DOCSTOGO
    -HELP
    -Brickbreaker
    -All themes but the alltel theme

any questions feel free to ask. ENJOY
    04-23-09 10:03 PM
    Very cool. I have pretty much deleted all that myself, but this is great for all those that don't feel like messing with the files.
    04-23-09 10:27 PM
    I didn't check what all you did for file removal, but the funny thing is I did my own stripped version. After deleting things I don't use, keeping all stock themes (plus adding another one), adding weather eye, MSN messenger, and quick pull, after a re-boot I'm usually aroung 23 for file free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 12:07 AM
    Normally, when simply having just English & Spanish installed, I have numerous symbols that I can access by holding a key and scrolling, such as the pound sign, Beta sign, etc. This won't remove that, will it?
    04-24-09 12:34 AM
    Nice! Could this be done for the 8110 (I would need the Greek language though)
    04-24-09 01:24 AM
    WHAT I REMOVED (I will update this as I remember more)
    -ANY LANGUAGE NOT ENGLISH (sorry for anything this excludes)
    -VAD
    -DOCSTOGO
    -HELP
    -Brickbreaker
    -All themes but the alltel theme

any questions feel free to ask. ENJOY
    If I understand correctly, the file download you are offering has removed a large number of files, but leaves the critical core OS in place.

With the exception of VAD and themes, the rest of them are managed with Applications Loader. If you select English only, only the EN content will be loaded. Everything else is ignored in the build.

Removing VAD can also be done with CrackMem and it will work with all future version updates.

Removing the system themes means trouble if the owner tries to install optional theme packages. I have done it, but I do not recommend it for general use, based on a ton of feed back.
    04-26-09 01:55 PM
    good post, but i removed the themes and my phone would reboot or lock up regularly. luckily i had backed everything up. my free space is really good now, like 26 something. i have one issue thoe, my pac man game will freeze or reboot my phone. anybody know why?
    04-26-09 02:03 PM
    OneOfaKindDPC, can you push out an updated version of the changelog (all removed items that accounted for the 22.0 mb vs the default amount?

I'd like to know what all was removed. Furthermore, do you know what's causing the "Pound Symbol (L)" to not show up in my symbols menu? Which file is responsible for the symbols menu? Which file(s) are responsible for allowing me to type "u" and while still depressing the key, move my trackball to select a different "u" with dots above it, or an accent mark? I'd like to be able to keep these features.
    08-30-09 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD