Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Separating emails from texts

Hello, everyone--

I noticed someone had a similar question about separating emails from texts. Basically, I'm getting double information. When someone sends me an email - or even when I send an email - a copy of said email appears in the messages box (SMS). I have asked ATT how to stop this, and they said it's not possible. Luckily, they say I am not being charged for all these email texts.

I did what they suggested on the thread I read. I now have three icons: one for messages, one for emails, and one for SMS and MMS. I am still receiving emails in my text box, only now I am only notified by the messages folder. Nothing appears in the new SMS and MMS folder. (I used to receive notification in my email folder, as well.)

Confused! Help? Is this a lost cause?

Thanks,
    Erin
    Retired Forums Moderator

Global Posts
    7,336 Global Posts
    PIN
    yep.

1) If you did separate the email and SMS/MMS folders, you should now have: a) a folder marked "SMS and MMS", b) a folder marked "Messages", and c) a folder for each individual email address.

2) You probably are not getting a text message for your emails.
    (text and SMS are the same thing)

3) I will assume you're getting the duplicate emails when using Gmail. If this is the case, read follow the instructions in this thread and see if it stops happening.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/

4) All emails will go into the Messages folder as well as the individual email address folder. This is normal.
    Last edited by Chaz; 07-16-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    24ACFB03

i believe you have to go into options in the message category>general options> sms and email inboxes change to seperate. if this is not the correct wayam sure someone else will post it
    "MY GADGET ADDICTION IS LIKE MY BLOOD IT KEEPS ME FLOWING"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by erin0616 View Post
    Hello, everyone--

I noticed someone had a similar question about separating emails from texts. Basically, I'm getting double information. When someone sends me an email - or even when I send an email - a copy of said email appears in the messages box (SMS). I have asked ATT how to stop this, and they said it's not possible. Luckily, they say I am not being charged for all these email texts.

I did what they suggested on the thread I read. I now have three icons: one for messages, one for emails, and one for SMS and MMS. I am still receiving emails in my text box, only now I am only notified by the messages folder. Nothing appears in the new SMS and MMS folder. (I used to receive notification in my email folder, as well.)

Confused! Help? Is this a lost cause?

Thanks,
    Erin
    Once youve separated the email/sms texts, you can hide the message folder and just have the sms/mms icon, as well as your email icons on the homescreen. This way, the texts just show up in one place and the emails stay where theyre supposed to.
    Retired Forums Moderator

Global Posts
    7,336 Global Posts
    PIN
    yep.

Quote Originally Posted by mcontuzzi View Post
    Once youve separated the email/sms texts, you can hide the message folder and just have the sms/mms icon, as well as your email icons on the homescreen. This way, the texts just show up in one place and the emails stay where they're supposed to.
    lol - I do the opposite. I hide my 7 individual email icons, and just use Messages and SMS/MMS folders. Much neater app screen that way. But that's why BB's rule, customize and set it up the way that works best for you.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    PIN

Thanks for the help on this, I just recently decided to seperate my sms and email and i couldn't understand what the function of the message folder vs. the att.blackberry email folder. Crackberry and the members are an amazing resource!
    CrackBerry Newbie

If you have a pearl 8130, you need open your email file then click the apps button/ the button left of the toggle button and go to options then, general options and go to SmS and email inboxes Separate!
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    1) If you did separate the email and SMS/MMS folders, you should now have: a) a folder marked "SMS and MMS", b) a folder marked "Messages", and c) a folder for each individual email address.
    I don't have those folders. Is this an OS thing? 4.3 on a Pearl here, as the new Bell version just came out very recently.

I have Messages, and the individual email folders, no SMS or MMS.

Will going through the hassle of an OS upgrade solve this (and yes, it's a HASSLE, as I'm on Macs, and new to BB)?
    RED Torch Virgin Mobile, Storm (LyrHybrid.669v2) Rogers, unlocked HTC Desire, Macbook 10.6.5, Hackintosh desktop 10.5.6, JailBroken 16GB iPodTouch 1G, 16GB iPod Nano 4G , 8GB Jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3G, Palm TX...... gadget queen!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skwij View Post
    I don't have those folders. Is this an OS thing? 4.3 on a Pearl here, as the new Bell version just came out very recently. I have Messages, and the individual email folders, no SMS or MMS.
    Not an OS thing at all, re-check message #3 in this thread.

Open messages, then follow those instructions. You can choose to combine Messages & SMS, keep them separate or let your theme control how they are treated.

/BD