Hi

I just bought a Blackberry 8110 pearl.
    Procured a Sandisk 4gb micro SDHC card.
    When i inserted the card, it says
    'Memory Card Cannot be read.Verify that memory card is formatted'
    I tried formatting the card using the Format Card option.
    Then it says 'Media Card Format Failed'

Does my 8110 pearl supports SDHC card?.
    Plz help..

Thanks
    Aneesh
    01-29-09 05:52 AM
    You need to upgrade to OS 4.5.0.81 or higher.
    01-29-09 05:53 AM
    You need to upgrade to OS 4.5.0.81 or higher.
    Thanks for the quick reply..
    From where can i know that i need to upgrade the OS to 4.5.0.81 for the SDHC card to work.

Thanks
    Aneesh
    01-29-09 05:56 AM
    Read this thread here.

Welcome to the site.
    01-29-09 05:59 AM
    Hi

I read the full thread and the related links.
    Nowhere (even in Blackberry website) it says that for SDHC card support an upgrade is required.

Thanks
    Aneesh
    01-29-09 06:16 AM
    What OS are you running? 4.2 can only support up 2gig SD card. 4.5 IIRC up to 8gig SDHC cards.
    01-29-09 06:23 AM
    'About' says 4.3.0.93 (Platform 2.6.0.53)

Thanks
    Aneesh
    01-29-09 06:53 AM
    I am not saying you are arguing, but,

You said: "my card isn't working"

They said: "upgrade" and it will

You said:"where does it say I need to upgrade"

Did you not like the answer?

I don't think these people are gonna sell you any crap here.

Don't be afraid of the answer you get...

Welcome to Crackberry...
    01-29-09 07:05 AM
    Hi

Am not concerned about the answer and i do believe in the same.
    But the fact is that i cannot risk and waste my time upgrading the OS unless and until the upgrade clearly says that they have added a support for microSDHC.

Hope u got it.

Thanks
    Aneesh
    01-29-09 07:22 AM
    Hi

But the fact is that i cannot risk and waste my time upgrading the OS unless and until the upgrade clearly says that they have added a support for microSDHC.

Hope u got it.

Thanks
    Aneesh
    Hello in return,

That's why I started it the way I did... Didn't want to sound like a smart @$$.

Hope it did not come across that way...

Some people might disagree with me, but, If you are running OS 4.3, There are many benefits with 4.5. I don't really know what the 8110 comes with (ie camera, wifi, GPS)

I know when I was with, AT&T and had 4.3, I had a camera but no video camera. I upgraded to 4.5 and voila, video camera.

I don't know if you care about things like that, having a camera or video camera that is.

I think there are a lot of benefits with the 4.5 over the 4.3, So an upgrade in essence (in my opinion) would not be a waste of time. But, it may be to you.

Have a good CB day

msblueline
    01-29-09 07:30 AM
    Hi

Hope u got it.

Thanks
    Aneesh
    As a person who has been on these boards for awhile, I can tell you that you will NOT get wrong info here. These guys are tight, and I know for a fact that you need 4.5 for high capacity SD cards.

I also would not say upgrading is risky or a waste of time. Basically, my Pearl was junk until I upgraded to 4.5. Big improvements such as:

HTML e-mail
    Better performance
    Support for high density SD cards
    Support for streaming video (youtube)
    Better stability.

The risks are very, very slim if you read the detailed instructions on this site. Don't bother contacting RIM. Most likely you'll get a rep who has no idea what you're talking about. The people on this board DO know what they are talking about.

Hope I don't sound rude. I understand how nerve racking it can be to upgrade. I sat by my PC with a cross the first time, praying my phone would come back up! But everyone on this site will help you if you run into trouble. Permanently ruining your phone, to the point where it's a paperweight, is basically impossible.

Good luck.
    01-29-09 10:48 AM
    Hey buddy

Thanks for the mail.
    I will try for an upgrade this weekend and will update the status.

Thanks
    Aneesh
    01-29-09 11:46 AM
    Specifications

* Dimensions (W x D x H): 2 in x 0.6 in x 4.2 in
    * Weight: 3.2 oz
    * Talk Time: Up to 210 Minutes (3.5 hours)
    * Standby time: Up to 360 hours (15 days)

The Pearl comes with the following standard features[1]:

* 1.33 (8100 version) or 2.0 (8110/8120/8130) megapixel camera with flash, self portrait mirror, and 5x digital zoom
    * Media player with support for MP3, AAC, AMR, polyphonic MIDI and WAV sound formats
    * Media player with support for MPEG-4 and H.263 video formats
    * Bluetooth 2.0
    * Wi-Fi Access (only for 8120 & 8220)
    * UMA support (only for 8120 & 8220)
    * High-Speed Cypress West Bridge USB (8110, 8120 and 8130)
    * Address book and calendar
    * HTML Web browser
    * GPS assisted BlackBerry Maps (8130 and 8110)
    * Push e-mail
    * Voice Dialing
    * Speakerphones
    * SMS and MMS text messaging (However, MMS requires WAP service)
    * Instant messaging
    * Supports up to 8GB MicroSDHC with handheld code 4.5

BlackBerry Device Software OS 4.5

Features

Do more with the BlackBerry� smartphone you already own! BlackBerry� Device Software v4.5 is a free update and offers a whole new world of fun and functionality.

Discover innovative ways to work and play with BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.

*Note: certain features require BlackBerry� Enterprise Server software and/or may not be available on every BlackBerry smartphone � please refer to the compatibility information.
    User Interface

* Refreshed Look � Enjoy messages, address book entries and a calendar that make better use of colors and fonts. They�re also laid out to more closely match the programs you use on your computer.

Email

* Improved Email Layout (Rich HTML Email) � View tables, images and fonts with formatting that looks better than ever.1
    * Remote Search � Find emails that are stored on a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server.2,3

Attachments and Files

* Edit Microsoft� Word and Microsoft� PowerPoint� Files � Just download the attachments and start typing!
    * Copy, paste, change font formatting and more.4
    * Download and Save � Grab a file on the Internet, and save it to your smartphone to view or edit later.

Want to edit Microsoft� Excel� files on your BlackBerry smartphone? Visit the DataViz� website to register with DataViz and download an update for Documents To Go that includes Sheet To Go.
    SureType�

* Save Time as You Type � Word completion for SureType keyboards will monitor what you type and present a list of options to scroll through so you don�t have to type the whole word.

Browser

* Mobile Streaming � Access videos, music or even sports and news clips from websites with mobile streaming capabilities.5

BlackBerry� Maps

* Local Search - Enter a search term like �pizza� to view a list of places to grab a slice within a 30-km radius.6

Voice Notes

* Send a Voice Note � Instead of typing an email, record a Voice Note and send it as an email attachment or Multimedia Message (MMS).
    * Stay on Top of Your Tasks � Record your thoughts and play them back when they�re needed.

Music

* Improved Music Management � See all your music files, or filter them by artist, album or genre. You can even create and edit playlists.
    * Musical Multitasking � Open the BlackBerry menu and select �Now Playing� to access the name and artist for the song you�re listening to � even when using another application.
    * Bluetooth Compatible (A2DP) � Use wireless Bluetooth� headphones or speakers to enjoy your music wherever you are.7

Video

* Video Recording � Take it all in with video camera capabilities.3,8,9
    * Full Screen Player � Watch videos in full-screen mode or stay in command with the media controls mode.

Calendar

* Free/Busy Lookup � View your colleagues� calendars on your smartphone2,3

Compatibility:
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software
    01-29-09 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD