Hello to you all,
    This is my first blackberry and love the phone so far. I just put in my media card and went to the media app and noticed, the screen actually has those CRT refresh rate that you can see from a dark screen i.e. the media/ringtone the gray area shows really well that my phone has the lines move up and down and make it seem like a flickering CRT screen. Is this normal? Anyone else has this? I don't want to take it back and the next one has the same flicker and I'm resetting up the whole phone again. My nephew has the 8830 and i don't see the flicker on there.
    12-04-07 04:17 PM
    I play videos on mine all the time and I have never seen anything that could be described as refresh rate flicker. I don't see it when I go into media/ringtone either.

HTH,
    12-04-07 05:51 PM
    That means I'll have to do a backup and take it back for a replacement.
    12-04-07 09:21 PM
    I have noticed the same thing. it doesn't show up until i have a dark background as well. it really is not that noticeable though.
    12-04-07 10:31 PM
    liljohn, you are correct, it's not really a problem, i just didn't want to keep at and it was something wrong and it got worse later. If its something that these phones have, i can handle that. One question, what brightness level do you use? I notice it more at 100, but have to really look for it at 50.
    12-05-07 09:21 AM
    I don't really follow, is there a way I can test this out on mine?
    12-05-07 12:22 PM
    i have not messed with brightness i have left it on auto. i did notice it today when i was using google maps.
    12-05-07 04:53 PM
    Hello to you all,
    This is my first blackberry and love the phone so far. I just put in my media card and went to the media app and noticed, the screen actually has those CRT refresh rate that you can see from a dark screen i.e. the media/ringtone the gray area shows really well that my phone has the lines move up and down and make it seem like a flickering CRT screen. Is this normal? Anyone else has this? I don't want to take it back and the next one has the same flicker and I'm resetting up the whole phone again. My nephew has the 8830 and i don't see the flicker on there.
    Hey there. I too am experiencing this. I was wondering if you wound up exchanging your Pearl. I can live with it if it is how the phone is manufactured, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

-Joe
    12-09-07 10:16 PM
    I haven't exchanged it cause I too can live with it if that's just the way the phone is. That's why I was asking if anyone else notice it so I don't have to replace my phone and still have the same flicker. It's there but not causing any problems inless without it my battery would last longer(I can only hope)
    12-10-07 09:37 AM
    I'm seeing this with my new 8130 from Sprint. It happens on dark backgrounds (like the Sprint home theme) but only when the screen dims during low light conditions. Otherwise during the day or in a lighted room, the screen is flicker-free.
    01-14-08 11:46 AM
    Hello to you all,
    I haven't had any issues with videos. The only flickering screen I've ever seen is on one of my games. Its fine if I enter the game on a fresh phone start, but if I exit the game and then return to it. I get the random flicker.

It may have something to do with the theme that your installing.
    Last edited by Wargear; 01-14-08 at 03:17 PM.
    01-14-08 11:57 AM
    I'm inclined to think it's a hardware issue. Also, maybe flicker's not the best way to describe it, but rather wavy lines that move down the screen, just like the original poster described it: like old CRT refresh lines.

I hasn't had any issues with videos. The only flickering screen I've even seen is on my one my games. Its fine if I enter the game on a fresh phone start, but if I exit the game and then return to it. I get the random flicker.

It may have something to do with the theme that your installing.
    01-14-08 12:52 PM
    It has to be a hardware issue. I just got a referb in today, which will be my 3rd 8130. The first two had issues (Trackball broken on one and memory reporting issues on the other) but they NEVER had this screen refresh issue. The one I got today however has the really anoying refresh problem discussed above. I showed it to several other people and one noticed more then the other. My guess is that different people see it worse then others based on vision. Will probably swap out (again) tomorrow for one that does not have the issue.

EDIT: Here is something strange for you. I turned off auto dim, and set screen brightness to 100% and the problem went away. I then tried the background at 30% (w/o auto dim) and it was back. It seems to be an issue with the screen brightness being set for anything LESS TEHN 100%.
    Last edited by Thalinor; 09-02-08 at 11:08 PM.
    09-02-08 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD