I just got a pearl and haven't quite gotten the hang of the trackball. I got to thinking and was wondering if it would be easy to replace the ball with one of those little nubs that used to be in the middle of a keyboard's G,B and H.

I know it's a long shot, but just thought I'd see what everyone thought. Maybe future versions of the phone could have it.
    02-16-08 12:04 AM
    Sacrilege!
    02-16-08 09:39 AM
    Try it out. Post pictures!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-08 01:01 PM
    Hmmm... "Blackberry 8130 (Nub)" just doesn't sound as cool to me, but it does sound like an interesting project - if you can get over the whole "sacrilege" thing...

02-16-08 01:12 PM
    I think it would be a pain .. the "nub" works on a single axis "pin" that moves in all directions, while the trackball works like that of a PC mouse and has rollers on each side. So I suppose it could be done, but IMO it would be WAY more trouble than its worth.
    02-16-08 01:15 PM
    Would it even be possible to swap out due too the operation of it?

02-16-08 01:47 PM
    Would it even be possible to swap out due too the operation of it?

I doubt it, that would take some serious modification.
    02-16-08 02:09 PM
    I wouldn't buy a phone with a pointing dot.
    02-16-08 08:11 PM
    Yeah, that sounds err stupid. I just got a new laptop called a Flybook, great little thing has a 9 inch wide screen darn thing is cute. They made it where you can hold it in your hands and your right thumb can control the Nub to move around, I hate the nub i was wondering how i can take a blackberry trackball and put it in there be smarter then that stupid nub.
    02-16-08 08:24 PM
    Yeah. I wouldn't bother. You'll get used to it.

02-16-08 09:00 PM
    Well I liked the nub b/c you could just lean on it and it would continue moving until you stopped. Sometimes when scrolling through long web pages it would be preferable to constantly flicking the little pearl. At least for me. I'm not complaining - there are FAR more important things in life to be concerned about than this... was just curious to see what everyone thought of it.
    02-18-08 12:47 AM
    Well I liked the nub b/c you could just lean on it and it would continue moving until you stopped. Sometimes when scrolling through long web pages it would be preferable to constantly flicking the little pearl. At least for me. I'm not complaining - there are FAR more important things in life to be concerned about than this... was just curious to see what everyone thought of it.
    There are a couple shortcuts to help with this. While in the browser, the 3 and 9 keys function as page up and page down, and the 1 and 7 keys will take you to the top and bottom of the page, respectively.
    02-18-08 12:45 PM
    T- Top of Page
    B- Bottom of Page

As well.

02-18-08 01:17 PM
    still laughing about BlackBerry NUB hahaha g l a m o r o u s!

Maybe a steel ballbearing? BlackBerryBallBearing? still like my pearl though
    02-18-08 08:23 PM
    LMAO! He's got jokes.
    02-18-08 08:39 PM
    just popped one in and it didn't work....
    02-18-08 09:58 PM
    still laughing about BlackBerry NUB hahaha g l a m o r o u s!

Maybe a steel ballbearing? BlackBerryBallBearing? still like my pearl though
    Maybe call it the RIM "BlackBall"...

Unless you use Blued steel bearings. Then it would be the RIM "Blue..."
    02-28-08 09:14 AM
    I can see the thread in the tips and tricks section now, "Cleaning your dirty nub". Cool idea, and I know what you mean about being able to continuously scroll with little effort by just leaning on the "nub", but I like the scroll ball though.
    02-28-08 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD