I understand that rebooting is necessary if the Blackberry is stuck "hour-glassing" or if it has crashed; basically whenever something is wrong. But when I bought my Blackberry Pearl yesterday, the lady told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the battery out and just let it sit for 5 minutes or so while you're getting ready for bed at night and whatnot.

I guess I was just wondering if this is just to make sure that the Blackberry stays running smoothly and not slowing down because of all the applications running, or if there's some other reason for doing this that I'm not seeing.

Thanks in advance.
    06-09-08 12:29 AM
    This is most likely to regain the memory lost in memory leak that affects most blackberries. I'm not entirely sure why she would say that, other to simply get you into the habit of resetting your berry to keep memory up. Just remember that if your pearl ever starts getting sluggish to pull the battery and all will be well.
    06-09-08 12:55 AM
    I use softreset and works great

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 03:34 PM
    Just remember that if your pearl ever starts getting sluggish to pull the battery and all will be well.
    Not necessarily so. True, a battery pull is a quick fix to most issues. However, it's important that, when you have a Pearl, you do daily "maintenance" on the phone to keep it running smooth and without memoury issues. (And also to improve battery life)

Make sure you always properly exit programs (IE - actually going to Menu>Close instead of just pressing the red End button like a normal cell phone.) Also a media card is a must-have for ringtones and pics. Keeping your internet cache clear is a definite must-do as well.

I honestly got sick of checking my memoury on my Pearl and constantly worrying about my phone dumping my emails, txts, and call logs, so I switched over to the Verizon Curve, which strangely has 90MB of flash memoury, whereas the WE, Pearl, and Curves from most other carriers only have 64MB.

Also, doing a battery pull is not just for "regaining memoury" that is lost due to the memoury leak issue with Blackberries. After running so many programs and operating 24/7, any device will become sluggish. Pulling the battery resets and refreshes thre phone, keeping it running smooth.
    06-09-08 03:43 PM
    My phone reboots itself during telephone calls! Not every call mind you, but enough that it is annoying! I have a pearl 8120. Anyone have any solutions?

06-29-08 10:32 PM
    I have a 8130 pearl, and i haven't had much of a problem so far but this one BAD PROBLEM, when i watch the sprint tv, everytime, it reboots itself! Also I downloaded ringtones from this website, but it put them on the phone, is there a way to move them over to my 512 meg memory stick??? Thanks!
    07-01-08 05:29 PM
    In my opinion the pearl just sucks! I love bb but feel like they dropped the ball on this one. I expected a lot more out of RIM. I have all the issues stated above and have had these issues through about 4 or 5 pearls I have lost count. But I only bought this dang phone in April so I don't feel it to be fair that I have to buy another phone so soon after purchasing this one.

07-01-08 05:56 PM
    wow, kaliiscute, i love mine and haven't had it long, but if there isn't a repair for the rebooting while watching the sprint tv deal then oh well, guess I can't watch tv then lol..... I am sorry u are having a bad time with yours
    07-01-08 06:15 PM
    I use soft reset every couple of days.

As far as random reboots, it may be a memory card issue. If you format it in a pc then format it in the BB, it usually fixes that problem.

07-01-08 08:04 PM
    i have a memory card in it, transflash of course, i can't format it with a pc, i don't have one, I only have a mac! NOw how would u go about moving the ringtones over to a mem card so it doesn't use the phone mem??? It is odd that the phone reboots like that, it is a HARD reboot too. Just when i use the sprint tv! I did notice it did it one other time before! I got insurance on it, and it still is under warranty i just hate to have to send it off!
    07-01-08 08:07 PM
    I love my pearl and if you take care of it most of the issues will go away. First try the memory optimization guide by stoner. A quick search should bring you to it. I reset my pearl like every other week and I have a bunch of programs installed.

07-01-08 08:14 PM
    yeah, i read the stoner guide, and the HOW To DELETE stuff, I am going to try that, but is there really a WAY to move the ringtones and the themes over to a mem card? I noticed that a more graphic theme really slows it down lol! I guess I can always delete the ringtones but I like em! I seen the post where it says how to save em, so now i guess I have to make sure i have the media card installed correctly!
    Last edited by krsh87; 07-01-08 at 08:31 PM.
    07-01-08 08:24 PM
    The best way to move them is through desktop manager. It is as simple as drag and drop. You can also move them on the phone itself. Just go to the photo hit options and move. Let me know if this helps.
    07-01-08 10:30 PM
    All my pictures go on the memory card but when I move them to subfolders I lose my memory quick. Today I checked and had 14mb free. Then I moved three pictures to subfolders on the card. I was down to 8mb free. Battery pull fixes it right up. I have to move pictures using mass storage mode while it's hooked up.
    07-01-08 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD