How much free memory should I have on my Pearl (The one with wifi and newest firmware) when I take it out of the box and load it with all my contacts/settings. I ask this because I had a very low free memory space and I did not have any 3rd party applications on it so I found it strange. Is it normal to have like 9-10MB free after you receive/send a few texts, load your contacts and download one game when you first take the phone out of the box?
    07-02-08 09:28 PM
    I would recommend at least 12mb, or roughly 12,000,000 bytes.
    07-02-08 09:35 PM
    Please fill out your full profile for CrackBerry so we can see your carrier and device information

I assume you are talking about the Pearl 8120 for TMobile...

I personally do not own that device, but I know that (for some reason) Pearls have memory issues. Follow Stoner's guide in my profile to help free up some memory.
    07-02-08 09:37 PM
    I know, but is it normal for a brand-new Blackberry to have 9 MB free after only a few days of usage? I did not download anything, only one game and I use the phone mainly for text + calender.
    07-02-08 09:37 PM
    It can be if you use the phone improperly. IE not properly closing apps and letting them run and leak memory. Or if you have a lot of pics saved on the device memory. Or a lot of ringtones or even music.
    07-02-08 09:47 PM
    Is 12-13MB normal for a 8120 that has no BBMessenger + BBMaps, One 3rd party game and a memory card? This is with no optimization other then I deleted BBMessenger + BBMaps and set device picture memory to 0mb.
    Last edited by BlackberryB; 07-02-08 at 10:01 PM.
    07-02-08 09:57 PM
    I've had my 8120 for about 3 months now and I have never got my free mem pet over 11mb but it does go as low as 3 about once a week then I do a battery pull and it goes back up to 9! I will say mine crashes sometimes when it's between 5-4mb anyone else have this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 06:59 AM
    I just got my pearl a few days ago, and right now my memory is not right below 8 MB. I only have two emails stored on it at the moment and that's it for messages. I have a 1 GB card that has all my media stored on it (it's not very much anyways). I haven't downloaded any additional apps or anything. Any one have any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 11:04 AM
    If you use the guide (I'm not exactly sure what the link is) you can easily boost your memory. I have 8 apps installed and after doing a soft reset, I have 22,000,000 free. After texting all day and not deleting any I'm down to about 16, but I just delete all the texts and softreset and then I'm good.

So, follow that guide and you'll be alright.
    07-03-08 11:57 AM
    I didnt check the memory of my pearl when I opened the box but I can tell you what apps I have, what I've deleted and where my memory stands after that:

Deleted:

1. BB sample video
    2. All Tmo provided messengers (Yahoo, MSN, Gtalk)

Apps ADDED:

1. EQO (intergrated messenger for Gtalk, yahoo, msn, etc)
    2. SoftReset
    3. Opera Mini

Other stuff on my phone:

1. Many emails (some with attachments)
    2. 250+ contacts
    3. MANY custom words in custom dictionary
    4. I store all my media (videos, photos, songs) on my 4GB memory card

TOTAL CURRENT MEMORY: 18MB

Note* - I have NOT deleted ANY default wallpapers and themes. That'll free up many more MBs I guess.

I would highly recommend using SoftReset. The lowest my memory has leaked to is 9MB and jumped straight to 18MB after SoftReset. I do it once a week.
    07-03-08 12:04 PM
    I seem to remember mine being about 9 meg out of the box.
    I managed to get it to around 12 by deleting stuff i didnt need, even after adding some extra apps
    after installing and running maxmem yesterday, its now at about 15 (even with VAD still there. yes, i must be one of those select few that actually uses it).
    07-03-08 12:10 PM
    I seem to remember mine being about 9 meg out of the box.
    I managed to get it to around 12 by deleting stuff i didnt need, even after adding some extra apps
    after installing and running maxmem yesterday, its now at about 15 (even with VAD still there. yes, i must be one of those select few that actually uses it).
    There is no way it is 9MB out of the box. It is recommended that you keep your available memoury at AT LEAST 10MB to keep the OS stable.
    07-03-08 12:13 PM
    There is no way it is 9MB out of the box. It is recommended that you keep your available memoury at AT LEAST 10MB to keep the OS stable.
    Sorry, but your wrong. The pearl 8120 comes with 9MB after a few texts and browsing + contacts.
    07-03-08 02:06 PM
    I have a bb pearl 8130, followed directions in deleting apps, even help apps and so clearing cache, cookies, setting memory holds to lowest possible, and from many different blogs to free up some space.

My bb would get xtremely slow and when i got a txt or bbm, i would see the notification of a new text/bbm but wouldnt be able to see it, nor logs, etc...
    Went over forums and decided to free memory.
    My apps are: bbm, memopad, calculator, google maps, brick breaker, gps tracker and then phone, txt, etc...

but my file free is 3 149 387 bytes and file total 50 462 720. Is that normal? I was forced to do several hard resets a day to have it work, since yesterday when i started cleaning up memory its been ok.
    I only have 200 or less contacts, barely any texts and no memos, etc...

Pretty clean and all my pics and music/tones are on my mem. card...but my memory is still pretty low, i even erased help app...

Is this normal? I dont seem to be able to save the apps on my 4gb memory card, but its ok, i dont use many anyway, what would a good amount of free space to have?
    10-21-10 02:06 PM
    Good Morning....... When is At&t getting the 3G pearl? I have a family member who is interested in getting it.
    10-23-10 07:35 AM
    I have a bb pearl 8130, followed directions in deleting apps, even help apps and so clearing cache, cookies, setting memory holds to lowest possible, and from many different blogs to free up some space.

My bb would get xtremely slow and when i got a txt or bbm, i would see the notification of a new text/bbm but wouldnt be able to see it, nor logs, etc...
    Went over forums and decided to free memory.
    My apps are: bbm, memopad, calculator, google maps, brick breaker, gps tracker and then phone, txt, etc...

but my file free is 3 149 387 bytes and file total 50 462 720. Is that normal? I was forced to do several hard resets a day to have it work, since yesterday when i started cleaning up memory its been ok.
    I only have 200 or less contacts, barely any texts and no memos, etc...

Pretty clean and all my pics and music/tones are on my mem. card...but my memory is still pretty low, i even erased help app...

Is this normal? I dont seem to be able to save the apps on my 4gb memory card, but its ok, i dont use many anyway, what would a good amount of free space to have?
    My Pearl after a reset only has like 5mb of memory. And thats after I wiped the phone. Before the wipe I could barley get 2mb of memory. IDK what gives.

Good Morning....... When is At&t getting the 3G pearl? I have a family member who is interested in getting it.
    It's already out.
    BlackBerry® Cell Phones & Smartphones - Wireless from AT&T
    10-26-10 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD