At what point can you turn on speakerphone while making a call on the pearl?

The only time I can turn it on is once the phone is dialed and ringing or connected to the person Im talking to, that is when I can hit Shift+P and the speakerphone is active.

Is that the only time you can use speakerphone? and only way to access it.

If I'm calling my answering machine at home and it picks up, if I do shift+p the voice mail thinks Im entering something in, I can literally access it once the message is playing but not before.
    03-05-08 02:12 PM
    Have you tried entering speakerphone via the menu rather than the keypad?
    03-05-08 02:17 PM
    I can turn it on right away. Pressing "P" alone does the trick for me, even before the call is connected.

No need to hold down the shift key... at least on my 8130. And since the P key is not a number key, hitting it any time should not affect anything with your voice mail since it shouldn't be sending any tones.
    03-05-08 03:34 PM
    never tried entering speakerphone in the menu. I tried the "P" by itself and that seems to work. I thought you had to press shift first and then press p (not at the same time) to access speaker phone.

Sometimes the speakerphone volume is low. If I hangup the call and try again its much louder... strange indeed
    03-11-08 08:20 AM
    If the speakerphone volume is low, try first pressing the volume UP key on the upper right side of the BB.
    03-11-08 08:34 AM
    The moment the phone is dialed (as it's ringing) I'm able to hit the "P" button and the speakerphone comes on automatically.

I especially like when the call is over the speakerphone turns off automatically, so I don't have to worry about whether it's on or not for every conversation.
    03-11-08 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD