I didn't do a search but also don't really recall seeing a thread about this. If I'm repeating something, I apologize in advance.

Lately, my Pearl will sometimes just randomly turn itself off. The charge is fine and everthing. I won't even be touching it. It'll be laying on a table or something, and I'll look, and its suddenly off.

Just a few minutes ago, I had a new problem develop that never happened to me before. I tried to place a phone call. My phone said it was connected. I never heard it ringing or anything, and when the person on the other side answered, it was dead air. They tried calling me back, my phone rang, I answered, and I heard dead air and they couldn't hear me. We checked with a landline and determined the problem phone was mine. I reset the phone, tried the call again, and it worked as normal.

What I'm wondering is if these quirky behaviors are known problems, or if I should stop by a Verizon store and get the phone looked at. Its still under warranty, plus I have insurance. With as much as I pay for my service, I'd really like for it and the device to work!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-08 10:49 PM
    100% YES! Take that baby back to VZW and have them take a look at it and see what the deal is!
    04-16-08 10:55 PM
    Have you happened to accidently set phone for auto shut off? Also for your other problem, your BB probably just need a hard reset and that got things flowing correctly again. That's not too much out of the norm. If you continue to have issues, it may be best to exchange.

04-16-08 10:58 PM
    I've never set the phone to auto shut off. That was the first thing I checked actually. It does it totally randomly with no rhyme or reason. It will also freeze from time to time. I understand the battery pull cures all, but I can honestly say that is my biggest frustration with Blackberry. I love this device and all it can do...but having to do a hard reset every day or two (if not more some days!) is getting really old!

04-16-08 11:03 PM
    That is excessive on battery pulls. Sounds like it would be best to exchange. I only do a battery pull once a week on my own choice to keep things running smoothly.

04-16-08 11:07 PM
    Definitely take it to Verizon. I have an 8130 and haven't had any problems like that.
    04-16-08 11:09 PM
    Once a week I could probably live with...the 3 times a week I average is annoying. Maybe I'm nit picking and a little OCD about the Berry. I just get a little testy when expensive things don't work nearly flawlessly!

04-16-08 11:14 PM
    I have the same problem with my BB turning off randomly. Mine seems to only do it though when I have it hooked up to the charger. The charge is never real low when I hook it up so i do not think that is the problem for me either. I just bought mine a couple days ago so it is brand new! I am planning on taking mine back to the Sprint store to have it fixed or exchanged. Let me know if you figure out what the problem is!
    04-17-08 03:56 AM
    Have you updated to the most current BB OS for VZW?
    04-17-08 06:25 AM
    I had the exact same issue with my first Pearl, random shutdowns. VZW techs checked the settings, which were all correct, and then proceeded to send me to sales where a VZW sales rep replaced it without question or hesitation. This is an issue that a battery pull will not remedy. Take it to Verizon.
    Last edited by pmas; 04-17-08 at 06:47 AM.
    04-17-08 06:37 AM
    You can try to reload the OS on the phone as well, sometimes it kinks itself, and reloading it will fix the problem.

Battery pulls once a day is nothing, its not like it wipes the device or anything, so all you have to do is wait the extra minute for the phone to turn on,well put it in your pocket while it reloads and go about your day!
    04-17-08 06:45 AM
    Use softreset its so much more convenient than doing battery pulls. You check the device memory?

04-17-08 06:47 AM
    Have you updated to the most current BB OS for VZW?
    I actually have the latest US Cellular OS installed...same thing.
    I had the exact same issue with my first Pearl, random shutdowns. VZW techs checked the settings, which were all correct, and then proceeded to send me to sales where a VZW sales rep replaced it without question or hesitation. This is an issue that a battery pull will not remedy. Take it to Verizon.
    This is still what I think is my best option!
    Use softreset its so much more convenient than doing battery pulls. You check the device memory?

I do use soft reset when I can...but when it freezes...I have to obviously physically pull the battery...and my memory isn't dropping, I don't know what the issue is. I usually run between 16-19 free.
    04-17-08 08:38 AM
    Gotta agree - return it. and hello btw. LTN BBM. lol
    04-17-08 08:40 AM
    Take it to verizon, my pearl was acting up and I had to do battery pulls atleast 3 times in the same day because it was freezing up. I just got my replacement on monday and so far no battery pulls but it did turn off for no reason just a little bit ago. This is already my 3rd pearl thru them since February....I think they keep giving me all the ones with problems....lol... So good luck to you!
    04-17-08 08:43 AM
    Gotta agree - return it. and hello btw. LTN BBM. lol
    Haha, hello.
    Take it to verizon, my pearl was acting up and I had to do battery pulls atleast 3 times in the same day because it was freezing up. I just got my replacement on monday and so far no battery pulls but it did turn off for no reason just a little bit ago. This is already my 3rd pearl thru them since February....I think they keep giving me all the ones with problems....lol... So good luck to you!
    Haha, thanks. Sorry about your bad luck with them...hope this one works out for you!
    04-17-08 08:44 AM
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with everyone. Maybe it is better just to go exchange it. I'm usually the first one trying EVERYTHING before trying to replace things like this...

I have the no audio problem like you do. I think a bunch of us are from VZW. I have the same OS installed as you, but my phone isn't shutting down like that. That would scare me...

Replacing it shouldn't be too hard and that'll be an instant (and safe!) fix! Good luck!! Keep us posted!
    04-17-08 08:56 AM
    Well, they didn't replace my phone. Instead, while trying to erase call logs and what not...they wiped my entire phone back to out-of-box condition. Thank GOD for Desktop Manager...though this stinks because of all the themes and what not I had that were OTA installs!
    04-17-08 01:07 PM
    Woah.... yeah, that sucks! Hopefully it takes care of the problem!
    04-17-08 09:59 PM
    Not only did the accidental wipe make me irritated...

My Pearl did the same thing when I tried to receive and make a call today, again requiring a battery pull.

Me = not a happy camper!

04-19-08 12:05 AM
    have you tried re installing the latest os
    04-19-08 01:21 AM
    I'm rather technology challenged and don't know how to reinstall it. I know I have the latest OS if that helps...but as for down grading and reinstalling, I'm lost.

04-19-08 08:23 AM
    OK, I'm not one to complain, I'm just trying to make sure I didn't mess anything up on my Pearl...I was having issues with memory (low memory compounded with a leak so I got scared that I would lose everything) so I did a bunch of stuff to increase the memory...So I've been good, but now I find that my memory is going up without me doing anything...I mean I don't wanna knock a good thing, but is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this?
    04-19-08 09:03 AM
    Well, after another trip to the Verizon store, things are looking up. The rep I talked to was actually a Pearl user!!! Needless to say, he agreed that something was seriously wrong with my berry. Being that its under warranty, he decided to order me a replacement no questions asked. He said it should be in my hand by 7pm Tuesday at absolutely no charge to me, so long as I send my old one back!

04-20-08 12:39 AM
    No way I'd keep a phone that shut itself off for no reason. Swap it, and make sure you get a new phone, not a refurbished one.
    04-20-08 07:42 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD