New to the Berry, but I thought that batteries lasted a longer then I'm getting.

I have 2 BIS email accounts pulling every 15 minutes. I log in occasionally to yahoo IM and remain logged in. I'll also use a bluetooth in the car.

I can't seem to go 8 hours without going down to 1/2 battery level.

What am I doing wrong?
    12-04-07 05:39 PM
    That sounds about right. I have to charge my Curve once a day.
    12-04-07 06:05 PM
    I've done these things to improve my battery life, depends on the way you use your BB though:

turn data off in network connections(when not being used/or expecting any e-mails)

Changed profile to tone rings only, no vibrate

Changed the backlighting to a shorter time lapse/and disabled the *dim* option that is in the same menu.

Number of times your alerts ring for text/e-mails.

try googling ur question as well and you'll come across some other forums with helpful hints!!
    12-04-07 08:10 PM
    Thanks for the info. I will google it to check it out.
    12-05-07 05:03 PM
    New to the Berry, but I thought that batteries lasted a longer then I'm getting.

I can't seem to go 8 hours without going down to 1/2 battery level.

What am I doing wrong?
    Ya, that sounds right to me...we have a lot going on with our BB's so to enjoy them to their fullest all you can do is recharge every night or while you're in the car.

Even my Razr, without all of the functions of a BB, needed charged every night. The price we pay for hi-tech!
    12-05-07 05:22 PM
    Thanks to all for the informative comments. I wasgoing to buy a new battery. I'll wait

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-07 05:29 PM
    I top it off every once and a while.. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there, and it definitely lasts longer than if i consolidated all that time and charged it for say 1 hour later in the day..

I also read you aren't meant to leave it plugged in at night.

I have it plugged in to my computer, so I guess it's getting a trickle charge so i don't worry.

If you have the oportunity, you should plug it in when you can. That way if you find yourself away from electricity for an extended amount of time, your battery isn't depleted!
    12-05-07 06:33 PM
    have an 8130. It will barely last 36 hours in standby mode. That is, I'll turn it on, set it down, and 1.5 days later it will be drained. That's with no apps running in the background, no calls to it, no texting, etc. I've tried draining it completely twice, but that hasn't helped at all.

The specs say that it has 9 days standby time. I'm certainly not seeing that.

There's a thread about this over at sprintusers.com as well.

Incidentally, occasionally I see a small upward-pointing triangle underneath the battery meter. I've tried to look this up in the manuals but can't find any reference to it. Any idea what that means?
    12-10-07 08:33 AM
    Incidentally, occasionally I see a small upward-pointing triangle underneath the battery meter. I've tried to look this up in the manuals but can't find any reference to it. Any idea what that means?
    Isn't that the arrow showing that you are connecting to the internet to check for messages...upward is checking for messages, downward means it is downloading something? That uses power as well...it checks every so often; I think you can adjust how often it does that. Do you have your GPS turned on? That also uses some power. My battery goes down to about 50% by the end of the day...I don't talk to terriblily long but it does download quite a few messages each day.
    12-10-07 09:29 AM
    Isn't that the arrow showing that you are connecting to the internet to check for messages...upward is checking for messages, downward means it is downloading something? That uses power as well...it checks every so often; I think you can adjust how often it does that. Do you have your GPS turned on? That also uses some power. My battery goes down to about 50% by the end of the day...I don't talk to terriblily long but it does download quite a few messages each day.
    No, that's up in the upper-right corner overlaid atop the signal strength meter. This triangle always points up, is smaller, and is beneath the battery meter. It is sometimes there and sometimes not, but is much more persistent than the transmission arrows. It will be solidly on or solidly off, but no in-between.
    12-10-07 10:54 AM
    The battery life on my Pearl is awesome. I had a Motorola Q before this, and a data session of 10 minutes would deplete a full battery to less than 50%. I have push email for three accounts, and get ~50 emails a day to my unit. I have the normal double vibrate for a new message. By the end of the day my battery is showing 80% life. If I have a heavy data day, it still hasn't gone below 50%.
    12-11-07 01:37 PM
    No, that's up in the upper-right corner overlaid atop the signal strength meter. This triangle always points up, is smaller, and is beneath the battery meter. It is sometimes there and sometimes not, but is much more persistent than the transmission arrows. It will be solidly on or solidly off, but no in-between.
    Hey CR, did you ever find out what that triangle is? I am curious as I have never noticed it on mine and you have me curious.
    12-11-07 01:50 PM
    How do you change the number of vibrations or the number of rings based on whether or not you get a text message or a phone call?
    Thanks
    12-11-07 02:42 PM
    i thought i was the only one experiencing poor battery life. seems that's par for the course. then again, i came to my Pearl from a standard Motorola flip phone that would last 8 days without a charge. i guess it's just going to take some getting used to.
    12-11-07 02:42 PM
    How do you change the number of vibrations or the number of rings based on whether or not you get a text message or a phone call?
    Thanks
    Go to Profiles-->Advanced-->then open the Profile you want to edit by using the menu button left of the track ball-->then choose what you want to change.
    12-11-07 03:12 PM
    Thanks
    Go to "PROFILES", click, select "ADVANCED" and click, then press the BB Menu key (left of the trackball), click "EDIT", highlight the one you want to change and click on it and the options will come up. Just click on them and the options will show, highlight the one you want and click on it. Then press the back arrow key (right of trackball) and it will ask you to save your changes. Sounds like a lot but it is really easy. Hope that helps.
    12-11-07 03:17 PM
    I've done these things to improve my battery life, depends on the way you use your BB though:

turn data off in network connections(when not being used/or expecting any e-mails)

Changed profile to tone rings only, no vibrate

Changed the backlighting to a shorter time lapse/and disabled the *dim* option that is in the same menu.

Number of times your alerts ring for text/e-mails.

try googling ur question as well and you'll come across some other forums with helpful hints!!

Furthermore, I run my BB Pearl at 40% brightness, it's bright enough for me most of the time.

Also, I use the BB sleeve/holster which switches off the screen immediately when holstered. This must save battery power.
    12-11-07 03:38 PM
    Hey CR, did you ever find out what that triangle is? I am curious as I have never noticed it on mine and you have me curious.
    Apparently it is the roaming indicator. It is blue when roaming and data is on, and red when roaming and data is off.
    12-11-07 04:36 PM
    Apparently it is the roaming indicator. It is blue when roaming and data is on, and red when roaming and data is off.
    Ok, thanks...that makes sense. I've never seen it because I live so close to Pittsburgh which has EV so I always see that symbol and not the roam...which is good for me, bad for you. I know when a phone has to roam for a signal the battery gets eaten up at a much faster rate. Thanks again.
    12-11-07 04:43 PM
    I have no complaints about my battery life. But I have two chargers at home, one in the car, and one on my desk at work.
    12-11-07 04:55 PM
    you guys got me beat. the best i can do is 6 hrs. have the display turned down to 10% bluetooth off gps off. this does not make for much of a tool if you work 12 hour days
    01-17-08 05:29 PM
    Guys the triangle means you are roaming!
    When you roam its on.. Roaming uses a lot more battery juice because the device is constantly searching for the network.

-db

01-17-08 05:36 PM
    A spare battery is also a must have. I keep one charged up in the truck for a month, plug it in and it still shows 95% battry life left. I also highly reccomend the 10-15 quick charge ... It seems like it really stretches more life out of it....

-db

01-17-08 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD