I just came across an application called PhoneBasics that seems to have good workaround. Their Device Manager provides a different lock which makes accidental emergency or outbound call unlikely. I downloaded from their website (Ottafone).
    12-11-09 12:09 PM
    So, when the phone is locked, and you hit a key, it has an option for emergency call. Any way to disable that? so it's not inadvertantly clicked on? I can't seem to find it in any of the settings.

Paranoia.... what fun would we have without it :P
    Hi... I made a few calls to the Police when I had my Blackberry 9700 in my pocket. Tried buying an App from the Blackberry App store that catches the Emergency calls and cuts it off... worked great for a day before I got the "App 200" error screen of death. Only way out was reloading the OS and losing all the data... not recommended. Finally worked out a solution... If you push down the top left of the device (see the incredibly small grey lock picture... didn't think so). This brings up the "Enter Password" bar. Phone stays in this state until you enter your password!!! Over the last two weeks I have had the phone in my pocket and never had a problem... can get incoming phone calls, etc. and no dialing the police... and it's free!!
    03-23-10 06:02 PM
    Emergency Call Lock @ simpsystems.com website
    03-29-10 11:07 AM
    I've got a different BB, on BES so no loading apps for me, but somehow having just made a shirt pocket emergency call, I found
    The only helpful thing I was able to find was to use the mute button to put the phone in standby,
    and that will keep me from doing that again. Thanks
    04-09-10 02:34 PM
    so i have this sae problem everytime i lock my phone and throw it in my pocket it makes an emergency call...and every single time i get a big lecture about prank calling 911....and everytime i tell them it wasnt a prank...it was a mistake.....there has to be a way to get rid of this without putting the phone on standby mode
    04-21-10 11:18 AM
    Hi, I believe the "Press X to start Emergency Call" message occurs if the first couple of keys you hit are the same. For example, my password used to be "1122" and I would get the "Press X to start Emergency Call." Once I set my password to 1236 (and the 1988 someone else in the forum mentioned), the "Press X to start Emergency Call" does not appear. There are probably other pwd combinations that won't prompt the message as well. Hope this helps.
    07-11-10 10:46 AM
    Easy solution. Upgrade to the latest version of the device software from another region. If you're in the US, install the UK version so it dials 112 or 999 or whatever the european emergency number is... If you're in Europe, do the reverse, install the american software. 999 and 112 don't work here, presumably the same is true in reverse. I'm working on this just to get a more recent version of the software (O2 > ATT current version for 8310 AFAIK) so I guess I'll see...
    07-24-10 06:38 PM
    I have pocket called 911 4 or 5 time now and I usually get a call back to verify if its an emergency, today we got a police woman with her hand on her gun in our driveway insisting that out house phone called 911, which isn't even possible as we don't have a land line hooked up and my telephone box in the backyard has been destroyed by my dog. My question is, if this problem is only with the pearl or phones with the ball. I carry my phone in my pocket and that isn't going to change as I don't feel the vibrate feature when its in a case. I love my blackberry but I hate the pearl because of this and the standby option don't let all my stuff come through till I take it out of standby mode.
    09-16-10 11:17 PM
    I have pocket called 911 4 or 5 time now and I usually get a call back to verify if its an emergency, today we got a police woman with her hand on her gun in our driveway insisting that out house phone called 911, which isn't even possible as we don't have a land line hooked up and my telephone box in the backyard has been destroyed by my dog. My question is, if this problem is only with the pearl or phones with the ball. I carry my phone in my pocket and that isn't going to change as I don't feel the vibrate feature when its in a case. I love my blackberry but I hate the pearl because of this and the standby option don't let all my stuff come through till I take it out of standby mode.
    Have you tried holding down the * key to lock the keyboard?
    09-18-10 05:15 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD