Ok, you didn't state you had a case, I gave you an idea, we are not looking to argue, but you seem to be, had you stated you had a case, would have kept my lips zippped.

Have a marvelous life...

Done responding to you, will not attempt to assist ya in the future, enough said...
    01-06-09 09:54 PM
    Keep this thread on topic, dont hi-jack someone elses thread, and quit the fighting, or it will be closed. Thanks.
    01-06-09 09:57 PM
    Keep this thread on topic, dont hi-jack someone elses thread, and quit the fighting, or it will be closed. Thanks.
    Agreed, seems they, or someone else removed their post anyway...
    01-06-09 10:00 PM
    Ok, you didn't state you had a case, I gave you an idea, we are not looking to argue, but you seem to be, had you stated you had a case, would have kept my lips zippped.

Have a marvelous life...

Done responding to you, will not attempt to assist ya in the future, enough said...
    Why would I bother stating that I have a case? I asked for ideas about how to alter the programmed emergency number. Why is this so hard for to understand? This is the 4th time I've had to explain what I'm looking for. Again for the 5th time (and I'll try to break it down for everyone): I'm not concerned with my safety, I don't want to use a case, I don't want to know how to change my ring tones, I want to know if anyone has any ideas on how to change the programmed emergency number on my/a BlackBerry. I don't know how to make that any clearer. Would French be easier?
    01-06-09 10:01 PM
    This hole forum is infuriating.
    01-06-09 10:02 PM
    Why would I bother stating that I have a case? I asked for ideas about how to alter the programmed emergency number. Why is this so hard for to understand? This is the 4th time I've had to explain what I'm looking for. Again for the 5th time (and I'll try to break it down for everyone): I'm not concerned with my safety, I don't want to use a case, I don't want to know how to change my ring tones, I want to know if anyone has any ideas on how to change the programmed emergency number on my/a BlackBerry. I don't know how to make that any clearer. Would French be easier?
    Ok, I will respond one more time, No, there is no way to change the number, anyone caught making a crack code for this and offering it to the public can be punished by law, from the FCC.

I hope this answers any question you have on the matter, if it does not, I apologize, I tried,,,
    01-06-09 10:06 PM
    Ok, I will respond one more time, No, there is no way to change the number, anyone caught making a crack code for this and offering it to the public can be punished by law, from the FCC.

I hope this answers any question you have on the matter, if it does not, I apologize, I tried,,,
    I'm not fighting by asking this but I'd like to know where this law is. Can you please provide a link?
    01-06-09 10:08 PM
    I'm not fighting by asking this but I'd like to know where this law is. Can you please provide a link?
    Will try to find the info online for you and provide a link, I got my information from our PSAP Verzion Rep, not to be confused with Verizon Wireless, these are the people that maintain the 911 systems that our 911 center, as well as many more across the US operate off of.
    01-06-09 10:14 PM
    Will try to find the info online for you and provide a link, I got my information from our PSAP Verzion Rep, not to be confused with Verizon Wireless, these are the people that maintain the 911 systems that our 911 center, as well as many more across the US operate off of.
    Thank you kindly, that would be much appreciated. I just checked the RIM/BlackBerry software license agreement and couldn't find anything regarding the emergency number specifically. I imagine buried somewhere in that legal mumbojumbo there's a section on not altering the software it self. I think that this could be bypassed by altering the program settings. I imagine that when RIM sells these BlackBerries they easily program them with certain parameters for the region. Rather than programing these emergency numbers in the hard way, it would seem logical that there's a variable that can be changed in order to state that the emergency number is 911 as opposed to whatever other number a different region uses. Apologies if that doesn't make sense.
    01-06-09 10:22 PM
    I wonder if flashing my BB with European firmware would get rid of this 911 option .. Any experiences?
    03-10-09 03:36 PM
    I wonder if flashing my BB with European firmware would get rid of this 911 option .. Any experiences?
    Good idea... Finally something useful.

I doubt it would get rid of the option rather it would just change the number. In the UK the number is 112 which if called here, wouldn't connect to anyone.

Please let me know the results if you try this out.
    03-10-09 10:19 PM
    If anyone can shed light on this it would really be appreciated.

I do not believe there is any law in place that requires this. If so, one would imagine that the phone would also be able to make an emergency call when the phone is turned off, or when the battery is dead, or when a password is set...it just doesn't make any sense that such a law exists. Perhaps, a reliable source made the claim, but people make mistakes. Really, I don't want to question, and don't care whether or not the law exists. More of a concern are the 'pocket 911' calls I have made.

1) I'm using valuable resources, even if they just have to call me back to make sure everything is OK.
    2) With enough calls I could become 'the boy who cried wolf' - what happens when I call and hang up for a real problem after a history of calling and hanging up with no problems?

If anything, I would imagine a law would exist to require RIM to provide a way to disable this nuisance. I don't reasonably see any situation where it could be said that a locked phone prevented someone from calling 911...but I do see many situations where 'pocket 911' calls have prevented help from being sent (either because the individual has a history of the 'fake' calls, or because the 911 operator was following up on a potential problem instead of addressing a real problem).
    03-23-09 11:11 AM
    Why not just out the phone on standby and not worry about it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 11:53 AM
    I've pocket-called 911 maybe 6-8 times over the last couple years. Once it happened twice in one night. It's incredibly irritating. I think the emergency call feature is a good idea, but for god's sake why tie it to the Pearl navigation? Why not require something sensible like a series of key presses -- you know, like what is required to unlock the phone. The whole point of that feature is so your phone doesn't become unlocked inadvertantly. Why not say, "Keypad is locked. To press * [green button] to unlock, or dial 911 to place an emergency call." Problem freaking solved! It's such asinine design.

Normally when I pocket-call 911 an operator calls me back and asks if there is a problem and I apologize and that's that. Tonight, though, the Miami-Dade police dept. called and asked if I have any children. I said I have a little girl and they asked if everything was alright. I said, "Yeah, did you get a 911 call? My stupid phone can call 911 even when the keypad is locked and it sometimes calls from my pocket." They said they were going to send the police to my place anyway just to be sure. I was like, "Well . . . I'm not even there." But they wanted to send someone anyway. I had to call my wife and tell her that the cops were on their way over. Then to make matters worse the cops went to my neighbor's door instead (duplex) and they said someone from my number called and asked the cops to come to their house. So the neighbors called me (not recognizing the number) and asked why I had sent police over. Needless to say, I told them that the police were supposed to go next door and that they weren't even supposed to go next door -- that the whole thing was an absurd mixup created by bad software design.

Kind of freaking hilarious, but also quite obnoxious. I suppose I'll try that standby mode business.
    03-23-09 08:09 PM
    I had a friend ask me the same Question. I am not sure but I don,t think that there is any laws requireing this I have a blackberry bold and with the keys locked you can do nothing util the keys are unlocked. I have tryd pressing all buttons in this mode and it will not dial. it's service is through AT&T.
    04-14-09 09:02 AM
    Just found this.

Blackberry KB13769

Sorry I cannot post a link as I am new here.
    04-14-09 01:32 PM
    Somebody earlier said flashing it with a eruo firmware since it dials 112... if you dial 112 in the states it will automatically route to 911 you'd still get the same problem..
    I've been having this same problem :-(
    05-16-09 11:39 PM
    Just found this.

Blackberry KB13769

Sorry I cannot post a link as I am new here.
    i can...
    View Document

It does a good job explaining its an FCC requirement to allow calling to 911, or 112...
    05-19-09 12:40 PM
    In the UK the emergency call is routed to 999 but still activated by the "pocket call" - I've had two call backs from cheshire police this weekend The BB wasn't even in my pocket, so can only assume one of the kids grabbed it.

Wierdly there is no record of the outbound call to the emercency services in my call log???

Anyway.... you can still lock your device and then use the standby feature to prevent "pocket calls".
    06-01-09 02:23 AM
    I've pocket-dailed 911 a few times, and my child has done it as well. in a recent case of pocket dail, i was chasing my child around making grrrrrr sounds and she was running and screaming... the Operator heard all of this. i explained everything when they called back, and all seemed well. but i knew they would send an officer to verify - as they always do.

however, at the time my wife and child were about to leave. i talked her into staying an extra 30 minutes for when the cops showed. after 30 minute she left and after 60 the cops finally showed! now it gets good... since i couldn't provide proof that my daughter was, in fact, okay, much less alive, they cuffed me and took me in until my wife show up to provide such proof. well, my wifes phone had died or some sh*t and she didn't answer for about 3 hours. thank you programmers for getting me arrested! and thank you Mr police man for taking a freaking HOUR to respond to a possible child abuse...

at any rate, *actually* thank you for teaching me about the stand-by mode! hopefully the blackberry folks figure something out that isn't as... intrusive... if i ever get another, that is...
    06-28-09 10:24 AM
    EDIT: Tried to strike my post. It can't be done according to this KB from RIM
    View Document

Since most of the information in this thread is useless and almost everyone replying has managed to drag it off topic, I'm going to attempt to get it back on topic:

I have a new blackberry tour that I'd like to secure with a pass code. When I enable the pass code and secure feature, it then prompts me to Unlock, Call Emergency, or cancel when I press the pearl down. This doesn't work for me because I don't have the case attached to my belt, as I prefer to keep the phone in my pocket and not hanging out.

Has anyone found a way to remove the Emergency call feature from a pass code/locked phone yet?

And no, my pass code does not refer to any form of emergency number so it's not related to that.
    Last edited by n0manarmy; 07-30-09 at 08:40 PM.
    07-30-09 08:36 PM
    I have the same problem. In the past year, I've made 3 911 pocket calls, all from when the phone was locked. I went searching for the same thing as everyone else, how to disable this feature... and I found this thread here.

I just wanted to thank you all, the standby feature seems to work great! It appears that once I enter standby mode, nothing on the keypad will do anything (short of showing the message that I'm in standby mode) until I press the mute button again. If that's the case, I think that'll be last pocket 911 call I make. I'm glad they added that feature, but I do wish it could be disabled.
    08-07-09 11:40 AM
    Seems more likely that someone that is not familiar with your phone (the blackberry) won't understand how to use the pearl to navigate in order to dial emergency.

However, pressing *SEND then dialing 911... that's something anyone can understand...

Anyway, I hate the "feature" too... would rather not have to use standby.
    08-10-09 07:17 PM
    I guess the Standby button is the only option. Just had the phone locked while sleeping and my 3 year old has a habit of making outside calls somehow. Yeah, especially to you know what number.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 03:00 AM
    Good news, I have found a way to prevent accidental emergency call, either by pocket it or children.

It is still in beta development, I've tested it on different models and it is working.

I'm intending to distribute it on BlackBerry App Store. Anyone interested? I'll keep you guys updated on this thread....
    Last edited by keenhon; 12-02-09 at 10:38 PM.
    12-02-09 10:31 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD