So, when the phone is locked, and you hit a key, it has an option for emergency call. Any way to disable that? so it's not inadvertantly clicked on? I can't seem to find it in any of the settings.

Paranoia.... what fun would we have without it :P
    01-20-08 02:30 AM
    i think you have to upgrade the o.s.

i'm pretty sure it doesnt happen on mine now that I upgraded to .81

-db
    01-20-08 06:13 AM
    DB, I have .81 and it still does it. In the lock screen press the track ball. It will ask "Are you sure you want to?"
    01-20-08 06:52 AM
    you're right no. 1

i have to put it in standby then it wont ask if i want to unlock or emergency call...

the funny thing is...if the phone IS locked and the first choice is UNLOCK if you click unlock you STILL have to press star send to unlock the keypad...

duh.

-db
    01-20-08 06:55 AM
    Thanks for the replies If you do hear anything about how to disable the 'emergency' option, let me know

I'll start poking around google, if I find anything I'll post back.
    01-20-08 07:35 AM
    Found some info on a randum forum... looks like by law they have to have it available, no way to disable it. The only helpful thing I was able to find was to use the mute button to put the phone in standby, unfortunately that turns off my gmail chat :P but to get it back out of standby, only the mute button will do it, and it's less likely to be inadvertantly pressed. Hope that helps anyone else reading this post.

What's weird is why doesnt the BB have the standard keyboard lock like most phones. I don't remember my old phone having the emergency call as even an option when it was locked.

grr
    01-20-08 07:47 AM
    Cam, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Even when you do get the option to make an emergency call in the lock screen, it take a few more button pushes and more option screens before you would actually dial the number. And even if you did, once dialed,the phone beeps loud like crazy.
    Try it then hang up quick. I did to see what happens.
    01-20-08 08:26 AM
    I trust you but that's good that it makes alot of noise, I have a password set, so any keypress and that option comes up. but yeah I'll try not to be too paranoid about it.

Thanks for the post!
    01-20-08 03:57 PM
    I just got a replacement 8700c, and thought I was losing my mind - every time I type in my 4-digit unlock code, I have to stop after the first two digits when a box pops up saying "Press SEND to Start Emergency Call", hit the righ side button, then enter to two other digits. I used the same four digits on my prior 8700c with no such problem. The only "plus" I can see to this irritating phenomenon is it gives me a few nanoseconds to pause and reflect each time I unlock my device. Has anyone figured out a fix? I tried changing the setting for making calls from my home page; that sadly did not work. Thanks for any help!
    01-28-08 07:48 PM
    The answer was posted, but it does not seem to have been recognized. Rather than using the keyboard lock to secure your phone while in your pocket/purse, you should use the standby mode. Press and hold the mute key (top of the BB) for 2 seconds to activate. Tap the mute key to deactivate.

I had wondered how much battery life I was losing to that "Emergency Call" screen. It only comes up when the pearl button is pressed, which is the most likely one to be pressed while in a pocket! I figured that the screen was on most all of the time while I was moving with it in my pocket.

I'm stoked about this tip...

edit: Just realized that the OP said nothing of a pocket or purse, but just wanted that not to be an option when going to unlock the phone keypad. My bad. I don't use a password, so I'd been using the key-lock as a means of not accidentally dialing fiji, but it seemed tragically ironic that it would open me up to accidentally dialing emergency services instead!

M@
    Last edited by DancesWithBeats; 02-16-08 at 06:27 PM. Reason: misunderstood OP, separate edit section
    02-16-08 06:24 PM
    Cam, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Even when you do get the option to make an emergency call in the lock screen, it take a few more button pushes and more option screens before you would actually dial the number. And even if you did, once dialed,the phone beeps loud like crazy.
    Member_1, you don't have kids do you? Mine seem to think it's funny to make Dad's BB start making noise. I'm always paranoid about setting it down on the table. I've had 911 call me twice wondering if there was an emergency since my kids hung up on them.
    02-22-08 01:32 PM
    Member_1, you don't have kids do you? Mine seem to think it's funny to make Dad's BB start making noise. I'm always paranoid about setting it down on the table. I've had 911 call me twice wondering if there was an emergency since my kids hung up on them.
    Just one offspring! I learned my lesson. Don't have to hit me over the head twice. Besides... she has her own Pearl to play with!
    02-22-08 10:37 PM
    I just got a replacement 8700c, and thought I was losing my mind - every time I type in my 4-digit unlock code, I have to stop after the first two digits when a box pops up saying "Press SEND to Start Emergency Call", hit the righ side button, then enter to two other digits. I used the same four digits on my prior 8700c with no such problem. The only "plus" I can see to this irritating phenomenon is it gives me a few nanoseconds to pause and reflect each time I unlock my device. Has anyone figured out a fix? I tried changing the setting for making calls from my home page; that sadly did not work. Thanks for any help!
    I have the same problem..Tried everything,nothing worked. this is annoying!
    03-14-08 11:24 AM
    OK, PROBLEM SOLVED.
    I found out that you can't have 008 in ur password.
    I first had 0708 as my password,the "press send to start emer..." showed up..
    then I changed it to 1988,"Press send.." GONE!!
    03-14-08 11:34 AM
    I am wondering the same thing. I've had to keep my phone locked when I go to sleep because my 3 yr old son will get it and make random calls. Two days in a row this week, he's hit the emergency call while it's locked, and it automatically dials 911. The sheriff's office called me back both times, luckily this last time they just left me a message. I was sure there had to be a way to disable it, or at least make it a little more difficult than just clicking the track ball on the option for emergency call...
    06-26-08 10:25 PM
    The answer was posted, but it does not seem to have been recognized. Rather than using the keyboard lock to secure your phone while in your pocket/purse, you should use the standby mode. Press and hold the mute key (top of the BB) for 2 seconds to activate. Tap the mute key to deactivate.

I had wondered how much battery life I was losing to that "Emergency Call" screen. It only comes up when the pearl button is pressed, which is the most likely one to be pressed while in a pocket! I figured that the screen was on most all of the time while I was moving with it in my pocket.

I'm stoked about this tip...

edit: Just realized that the OP said nothing of a pocket or purse, but just wanted that not to be an option when going to unlock the phone keypad. My bad. I don't use a password, so I'd been using the key-lock as a means of not accidentally dialing fiji, but it seemed tragically ironic that it would open me up to accidentally dialing emergency services instead!

M@
    If I put it in standby mode instead of locking the key pad, can I still get my alarm clock, calls, etc.?
    06-26-08 10:30 PM
    OK, PROBLEM SOLVED.
    I found out that you can't have 008 in ur password.
    I first had 0708 as my password,the "press send to start emer..." showed up..
    then I changed it to 1988,"Press send.." GONE!!
    I accidentally stumbled across the same thing. I have to have a password when using the Enterprise Server at work. On the same day I received a replacement for my broken one, it prompted me to change my password. And so I did. I thought I was going crazy.

I just changed it again so I no longer have 08 in the password and presto... Problem gone.

Thank you.

And Thank you everyone for the tips and help I have found searching the forums.
    08-05-08 08:46 PM
    wait...it makes noise when you're making an emergency call?!

isnt that kind of dangerous? what if someone's in my house and im trying to hide from them, so then i call the police,or try to and my BB goes off like crazy, now they know where and i now im ...dead.

thanks RIM lol
    08-05-08 08:52 PM
    So, when the phone is locked, and you hit a key, it has an option for emergency call. Any way to disable that? so it's not inadvertantly clicked on? I can't seem to find it in any of the settings.

Paranoia.... what fun would we have without it :P

As an operator in a 911 center, you have no idea how much i appreciate your paranoia!! I can't tell you how many times I've answered the phone only to hear the phone being jostled in someone's purse or pocket. LOL I wish more people worried about this!
    08-05-08 11:22 PM
    If I put it in standby mode instead of locking the key pad, can I still get my alarm clock, calls, etc.?
    Sorry to drudge this up...just curious about this as well (I have a Blackberry Curve though). I accidentally dialed 911 today without realizing it and a 911 operator called me back freaking me the **** out.
    10-06-08 08:43 PM
    Short answer: yes. Calls, alarm clock, text/email notifications, etc. come through when the phone is in standby.
    10-07-08 09:52 AM
    Always use standby never lock. Ya'll know that even an unactivated phone can still call 911.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 10:11 AM
    So let something happen to you and a person tries to use your phone to call 911 and they can't because you messed with it? I don't think that's too smart.

01-06-09 08:12 PM
    You asked for ideas and I gave you mine. If you didn't want to hear statements like mine, don't leave opinions like yours and ask for comments. Kevin and the moderators have asked us all to be friendly and not ugly. My opinion was a sincere one. Bash me more if you wish, but this will be my last post to you regarding this topic.

01-06-09 08:41 PM
    I will give you an idea, be more responsible on how you handle your phone, they make cases that you can put them in that will not allow the phone to jostle around and activate the button. Putting the phone simply in your pocket, purse, ect... is going to allow it to activate the 911 feature if it is jostled around. While, I am by no means a perfect person, I have tried to be careful in the way I transport my phone, and have never activated the 911 feature mistakenly, not to say that as soon as I post, it could happen.

Ask for an idea, and you are entitled to one, as I have given mine...
    01-06-09 09:36 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD