I have had my crackberry Pearl (big mistake) for almost a year. I'm on My third pearl since verizon won't let me upgrade. The phone constantly freezes, it deletes my text messages before I get them and deletes my recent calls and missed calls so I can't even see who called unless they leave a voicemail!!!

I've replaced the phone 3 times with verizon and for some reason they'd prefer to keep giving me new pearls rather then letting me upgrade to the curve.

My question is has anyone else had a similar issue? And, when I do upgrade does anyone have a recommendation for a blackberry that does work?!?!
    10-01-08 11:04 AM
    Your memory is full or close to full. Verizon printed me out an instruction sheet, but apparently it's a default within the phone, that when you pics and ringtones and apps take up too much memory, it starts deleting texts and phone lists.
    Check your memory (Options-Status-File Free). If it says 0, you need to delete apps or file. Or, if you have an SD card, move ringtones and pics there. As soon as your memory is free, your lists will populate again. Good luck!
    10-01-08 11:28 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Follow this it will help you with the low memory

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 11:30 AM
    Does this Happen to anyone's Curve??? I've never heard of anyone with a curve having this problem.. just the pearl. I think its stupid to have to delete my apps so that my phone will work... it should already have enough room..
    10-01-08 12:00 PM
    Does this Happen to anyone's Curve??? I've never heard of anyone with a curve having this problem.. just the pearl. ...
    Yes. The problem occures on all of the consumer models, for exactly the same reason.

In order to insure you have a delightful, out of the box experience, all of the consumer models come with preinstalled samples. The sample are in device memory.

The link Blueberry posted will help, a lot.
    10-01-08 12:12 PM
    Does this Happen to anyone's Curve??? I've never heard of anyone with a curve having this problem.. just the pearl. I think its stupid to have to delete my apps so that my phone will work... it should already have enough room..
    The Pearl has less internal memory thatn the Curve (8300 and 8310) and the 8330 has more memory than the other two Curves. All BlackBerrys suffer from what is known as a memory leak.

Memory just disapears into the Operating System. It gets to the point where the phone has to delete your data to keep itself running -really!

The fix is two fold:
    1. clean out the stuff you never use like the BlackBerry Sample Video.
    2. manage the memory by looking at how it is doing. Taking the battery out about oonce a week is a good way to help the memory stay managed.

You have a lack of memory problem. There are fixes. Go to Options, Status and note the File Free number. Its in bytes so divide by 1 million to get Mb. You need about 12Mb for good daily running or the BlackBerry will start deleting stuff just to keep itself running. 5.5Mb is an absolute minimum.

Note the File Free number for comparison later.
    Remove the battery for 30 secs or so and put it back. Once the re-boot is complete, check the file free number again.
    Go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and scroll down to the BlackBerry Sample Video. Press Menu and select Delete. You just got 2Mb memory back. Again check the File Free number. It should be getting bigger.
    Have a look at this post too http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/. It is a very good tutorial on memory management.
    Get familiar with your phone and come back her if you need more help.
    10-01-08 12:16 PM
    The Pearl has less internal memory thatn the Curve (8300 and 8310) and the 8330 has more memory than the other two Curves. All BlackBerrys suffer from what is known as a memory leak.

Memory just disapears into the Operating System. It gets to the point where the phone has to delete your data to keep itself running -really!

The fix is two fold:
    1. clean out the stuff you never use like the BlackBerry Sample Video.
    2. manage the memory by looking at how it is doing. Taking the battery out about oonce a week is a good way to help the memory stay managed.

You have a lack of memory problem. There are fixes. Go to Options, Status and note the File Free number. Its in bytes so divide by 1 million to get Mb. You need about 12Mb for good daily running or the BlackBerry will start deleting stuff just to keep itself running. 5.5Mb is an absolute minimum.

Note the File Free number for comparison later.
    Remove the battery for 30 secs or so and put it back. Once the re-boot is
    Great Post, I'm confident this will help. One last question though... This problem usually happens when I take pictures, which is understandable since it would reduce my memory, but I have a 2 Gig memory card and all the pictures are stored in there... why does taking pictures still reduce my internal memory and cause this to happen?
    10-01-08 01:20 PM
    Forgive me I guess I am a relative newbie.

I had one of the early 8100 pearls on the O2 network in the UK about 2.5 years ago and it worked fine without any problems at all it stored all my SMS messages and emails for 6 months PLUS.

Now I am living in Morocco and recently bought the new 8120, basically the same phone (or so I thought) but with Wifi (huge bonus)

Within 24 hours of activation I started to lose messages and texts and call logs. I thought I had a faulty phone but since it was the weekend and Maroc Telecom wouldnt be open till Monday I thought I�d scout the net and do some research incase of user error (possible)

Anyway I find heaps of posts referring to this fault AND THIS IS A FAULT!!! but most people didnt seem to have the problem until a few months down the line not 24 hours like me. So after reading many posts relating to memory leaks and deleting non-essential apps I deleted the three games i had downloaded and two themes and rebooted. Still got the same problem!!

So I dug out my old pearl (sadly locked to O2 and basically a brick to me here in MOrocco but why sling a perfectly good phone) anyway I looked at the file total figure and its 65MB (in line with RIMS claimed 64MB intenal memory spec. HOWEVER, when I look at my shiny new 8120 pearl it only appears to have 54MB so the phone is missing 11MB of internal memory and my file free figure is at best 6MB not the 12MB minimum some post sugeested for smooth running of the phone.

So I have now deleted all nonessential apps including brickbreaker and any unused themes to strip it down to "bare bones". by changing the reserved pics memory to ZERO I now just get 8MB free memory

Has anyone any idea if there is an actual FAULT wity my phone (forget for the moment the argument that its inherently faulty) where is my missing 11MB, have I got corrupted mem chips in my handheld???

Next question, my handset OS is 4.3.0.72 on my 8120 (my old 8100 was 4.2.something and it never had a problem in 9 months of daily use) - Is there a new version out that ACTUALLY fixes the BUG????

And why on earth a RIM getting away with not recalling the whole damn lot and actually "FIXING" the pproblem. Yes, its a great phone, NO, its a Bloody marvellous phone but the fact remains it IS FAULTY and I find it incredible that people are accepting the fault, surely RIM should just fix it!!

Am I the only one who feels this way or are you all content to use your berrys without any 3rd party apps installed or nice themes and ringtones??

What is the world coming too.

So Anyone with any more info, it would be greatly appreciated. especially a "bugs fixed list" for all of the recent firmware releases - Anyone????
    Last edited by Redstorm_UK; 10-07-08 at 12:47 PM.
    10-07-08 12:44 PM
    Research in Motion appears to understand the problem and has done the right thing.

The new OS v4.5xx has stripped out the preinstalled samples. With a bit of fine tuning, I am able to get 25+ Mb of free memory.

That is plenty for several third party applications and still leaves sufficient space for trouble free operation.
    10-07-08 02:37 PM
    Can anyone answer my question about the ammount of internal flash memory I have got, is there a FAULT with my phone????

How much memory does your 8120 report under OPTIONS, STATUS, FILE TOTAL?

I still thik there is a fault here since my old 8100 report 11MB more memory.

WEIRD!!!
    10-08-08 10:48 AM
    Thanks for your help! Where do I go to delete things like BrickBreaker and other applications?
    11-24-08 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD