Hello Forum. I am a long time lurker of this place, and I'm grateful for all the resources that are provided here at crackberry.com.

I have a blackberry pearl 8130 that is about 2 years old, and I have been experiencing the following problem:

The phone is entirely dead. So I plug in the charger and the battery/bolt icon appears, so I assume the battery is charging.

After some time, the phone attempts to start the OS. The hourglass appears for about 10 seconds, and then it disappears and the screen goes black. It then returns to the battery/bolt screen. I've had it plugged in overnight and it runs this cycle constantly.

I know the OS isn't the problem, because I've put a charged battery in the phone and it works. But when I plug in the wall charger with this battery, it doesn't let it charge.

I've checked the pins and all 5 gold pins look intact. Is there something I'm missing? Why does the phone not want to start up?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I hope I don't have to toss away my beloved Pearl!
    01-18-10 04:13 PM
    No clue what the issue is but you can get a spare battery and a battery charger for less than $10 (total) on ebay and just keep the batteries charged that way.

Are you able to connect the phone to your computer via usb?
    01-18-10 05:10 PM
    Thanks for the reply c0rinne.

My next question was going to be how much an external battery charger is, so thanks for putting me in the right direction.

Both the Wall charger and the USB for the computer do the same thing. The battery bolt comes up, then the phone attempts to start, then it goes black again. When I plug it into the computer I don't even get that "USB plugged in" sound, but I think the way my USB ports were configured, they could all be acting like a hub. I will try plugging my phone into a different computer now.

Thanks again c0rinne!
    01-18-10 05:15 PM
    I tried plugging the phone into another computer (that doesn't have desktop manager or the blackberry os installed) and nothing popped up on the computer....but the blackberry still shows the battery/bolt picture while its plugged in....

Anyone else have any ideas?

Also, how reliable is ebay for the battery/external chargers? 10$ seems like one of those 'too good to be true' type things.
    01-18-10 05:39 PM
    Hello Forum. I am a long time lurker of this place, and I'm grateful for all the resources that are provided here at crackberry.com.

I have a blackberry pearl 8130 that is about 2 years old, and I have been experiencing the following problem:

The phone is entirely dead. So I plug in the charger and the battery/bolt icon appears, so I assume the battery is charging.

After some time, the phone attempts to start the OS. The hourglass appears for about 10 seconds, and then it disappears and the screen goes black. It then returns to the battery/bolt screen. I've had it plugged in overnight and it runs this cycle constantly.

I know the OS isn't the problem, because I've put a charged battery in the phone and it works. But when I plug in the wall charger with this battery, it doesn't let it charge.

I've checked the pins and all 5 gold pins look intact. Is there something I'm missing? Why does the phone not want to start up?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I hope I don't have to toss away my beloved Pearl!
    I believe sometime last week, somebody saw this same issue(maybe search the threads is this forum?)...essentially, you need another battery, because your battery doesn't have enough juice to see that it is connected to something to charge it...I'll link the topic if I can find it...
    Last edited by MissoulaMarinerFan; 01-19-10 at 12:10 PM.
    01-19-10 11:56 AM
    well, I can't get the url link to work, but if you do a search on the thread topic:
    "is my battery dead" and go to that thread, you'll get a couple more answers there.
    Last edited by MissoulaMarinerFan; 01-19-10 at 12:15 PM.
    01-19-10 12:11 PM
    Thanks for the help Missoula. I don't think its the battery, and here's why:

I went to my carrier's store to see if they could figure it out. They put in a fresh battery (not charged, but it had a bit of juice) and my phone started up normally. But when I plugged in a charger, the 'battery charge' icon would appear next to the battery for a second and then disappear.

Does this imply a problem with my port perhaps?

I will search the thread though and try any solutions I come across. Thanks for the tip.
    01-28-10 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD