I am considering getting a BB and cant decide between these two models. I like the 8703e full keyboard, but its lack of multimedia is a concern. Also, the only problem i can see with the pearl would be the suretype keypad, is it easy and just as fast as a qwerty? Battery is also a concern. I own a Motorola Razr 2 at the moment, and hate it because the battery wont even last a full two days. Thanks.
    10-05-08 07:07 PM
    Why not consider a Curve? Is there a particular carrier you are going to be using the phone with?
    10-05-08 07:20 PM
    Because its a bit out of my price range, im ebay shopping. (contract hasnt ended) and like both phones. The 8703e seems like its very durable and built like a tank.
    10-05-08 07:51 PM
    The pearl is good for Multimedia, mp3's MMS.......except on sprint . 8703e is a tough phone very well built....... I would assume the pearl has a larger memory good so that your BB doesnt go out of wack........the pearl is smaller in the hand, to me felt easily breakable and that i would lose it easily.........8703 is bigger feels good in the hand, but gets a bit uncomfortable holding it to the face hope that helps..........and oh yea SURETYPE is VERY GOOD
    10-05-08 07:58 PM
    The pearl is good for Multimedia, mp3's MMS.......except on sprint . 8703e is a tough phone very well built....... I would assume the pearl has a larger memory good so that your BB doesnt go out of wack........the pearl is smaller in the hand, to me felt easily breakable and that i would lose it easily.........8703 is bigger feels good in the hand, but gets a bit uncomfortable holding it to the face hope that helps..........and oh yea SURETYPE is VERY GOOD
    I have had my pearl for about 3 months now i think. As far as it being breakable, it's hit the deck a few times and it keeps on going. I've tried a few of the bigger bb's and they seem clunky to me.
    10-05-08 08:01 PM
    The SureType is very easy to use. This is the first phone I've with it and it's pretty easy to learn. The size of my 8120 sold me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 08:17 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    10-05-08 08:46 PM
    Go with the Pearl. Its a great phone.
    10-05-08 10:30 PM
    I had the 8703e and got the pearl (free upgrade) light ears better than the 8703e.. get the Pearl, great multimedia, faster and expandable storage
    10-06-08 09:58 AM
    I use both everyday, few opinions and observations -

I like the trackball more than the scroll wheel.

They both have 64mb of onboard memory. The 8703e didn't have the low memory issue the Pearl had when I first got them (issue is easily fixed if you follow Stoner's guide). It could be that the 8703e is using an older OS and started out with a higher file free.

If you want to have a camera, video recorder and multimedia abilities then the Pearl is the way to go. The Pearl also has an external expandable memory slot for mini SD cards where you can store all your pictures, movies and music (you can't use it to store apps).

The full keyboard on the 8703e is nice and easy to type on. They key sizing and spacing is perfect. The 20 key Pearl keyboard with it's bigger keys is no slouch either. SureType lets you use it pretty much like a full QWERTY about 90% of the time. It does get tripped up with words that use the same key combination (like are and see) and doesn't do well with email addresses or "strange" words. It does learn new words though so it's dictionnary grows the more you type. As long as you accept the fact that you'll have to make corrections every now and then, and realize that SureType is a compromise needed to get the candybar form factor, it'll work great for you. I can type faster on my Pearl than my 8703e.

The 8703e feels solid in your hand and looks like it can definately take a fall. No creaking or flexing in the body. It does feel a bit big when holding it to the side of your head. It's also a little thicker than I would like. The Pearl has the nice candybar form factor but feels almost like a toy. It doesn't feel like it would survive a drop (even though I'm sure it would).

All that being said, if I were to choose between the 8703e and the Pearl I would take the Pearl. If I could take any other model, I'd go with a Curve.
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 10-06-08 at 12:00 PM.
    10-06-08 11:57 AM
    Wow, thanks. One more question.
    Can I put pictures on the 8703e and use them as wallpapers,
    and, what themes come default on it. I like the one where the start(home) screen has your top five at the side and you then press a button to see the rest of your apps, so does the 8703e have this?
    10-06-08 07:39 PM
    You can load wallpapers and ringtones through Desktop Manager. And yes, the Dimension Z theme is included (it doesn't have Dimension L though).
    10-06-08 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    10-06-08 10:16 PM
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
    10-06-08 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD