Last night when I stopped for a coffee I had my phone with me and it ended up falling into the toilet.
    I recovered it right away and frantically started to dry it while having a meltdown, the battery was removed right away and I tried using the hand dryer and cool air from my car vents to help dry it.

I was in the middle of a text to meet up with someone so after mabey 15mins I put the battery back in and heard a sizzling sound so I removed the battery came straight home and put it into a container of rice.

This morning I put the battery back in and it seems to be working great but it must have suffered some damage ? ( I know I did ). Just wondering if I should send it in for them to look at ? It is a Rogers 8120 pearl.
    08-26-08 08:43 AM
    Ouch I'm really sorry to hear that. Even though you let it dry never put the battery back in until its completely dry. Leave it in the rice for at least 24 hours that should get all the moisture out
    08-26-08 08:53 AM
    Taking it in with water damage and having them look at it, will not help... You have insurance on it..

The MFC warranty will not cover water damage...

Who knows if it is working you may have gotten lucky.... Hope things work out....
    08-26-08 08:56 AM
    Thanks
    I hope I lucked out and no insurance for me the phone was a trade in plus some cash at my local rogers dealer. I am never ever taking my phone with me to the bathroom again !!!
    08-26-08 09:01 AM
    you should have just flushed when it fell in and upgraded to a curve......
    ok ok not funny Lol....good luck
    08-26-08 09:02 AM
    Unlucky. The sizzling sound isn't a good sign either. I doubt you'd get a replacement under warranty, even though water damage stickers were tripped on mine (Never been for a swim) it was never checked.
    08-26-08 09:51 AM
    Last night when I stopped for a coffee I had my phone with me and it ended up falling into the toilet.
    From the way you put it, it sounds like the Coffee machine was in a bathroom or the toilet was filled with coffee.

But truely... I am sorry to hear that it went in the toilet
    08-26-08 10:03 AM
    Yea that sux. If it continues to work, go buy a silicone skin as this will make the phone more "grippy" to prevent this in the future. One thing I noticed about my Pearl is that when naked, it is really slippery.
    08-26-08 10:31 AM
    Thanks
    I hope I lucked out and no insurance for me the phone was a trade in plus some cash at my local rogers dealer. I am never ever taking my phone with me to the bathroom again !!!
    lol keep it in your pocket....

Well keep us posted, if it dies maybe you can get a used one on ebay....

Keep your eye on it....
    08-26-08 10:35 AM
    Thanks guys I am still in shock that I was so careless. I called rogers and thy said to keep letting it dry out for a few more days so it does't fry when I charge it.
    08-26-08 10:35 AM
    You stuck your hand in a public toilet for your BB, that is just nasty. I would have left it there, well maybe flushed it to see if it would go down. GROSS
    08-26-08 10:45 AM
    You stuck your hand in a public toilet for your BB, that is just nasty. I would have left it there, well maybe flushed it to see if it would go down. GROSS

With the full retail of the Pearl around 2-3 hundred dollars.... if there was a $100 bill in a toilet would you grab it...?

I would!

Ever see the episode of Myth Busters with toilets.....

Tooth brushes are more worse
    08-26-08 10:47 AM
    How does rice help dry or protect from water damage...
    08-26-08 10:49 AM
    Sorry to hear about your BB, hope you have insurance if its not ok.

KOs
    08-26-08 10:51 AM
    How does rice help dry or protect from water damage...
    Rice is an excellent absorber of water. Put your phone in a bag of rice and it will soak up all the moister in the bag into the rice!

Kos
    08-26-08 10:52 AM
    Rice is an excellent absorber of water. Put your phone in a bag of rice and it will soak up all the moister in the bag into the rice!

Kos

Yeah same goes for Silica Gel packs. Rice is cheaper...
    08-26-08 10:54 AM
    I can get a pearl brand new from eBay unlocked for �100 roughly ($220 dollars).
    08-26-08 11:33 AM
    Real sorry to hear that! Hope u get this resolved with no major issues.
    08-26-08 12:05 PM
    i have dropped mine in the washer what i did was take a hair dryer and put on cool and low and dry it for 5min dont focus on one area move it around and then put in rice over night it work for my pearl best of luck to you!
    08-26-08 01:12 PM
    I hope your phone is still working for you. If you haven't done so yet I would recommend taking it apart and thoroughly cleaning all the electrical components with a soft toothbrush and alcohol.

Depending on the state of the toilet when your pearl took the plunge, you could have chlorine deposits on the circuit board (clean toilet) or you could have salt, urea, sugars, and.........um.......other stuff if you dropped it in a toilet that had a "deposit" in it.

Those types of mineral and sugar deposits, because they are electrical conductors, can really screw up your phone even if you get all the water out.
    08-26-08 01:35 PM
    Once it dries I hope it doesn't sound like crap....lol
    No just kidding I feel for you, that is always my fear but...life can't get any better than takin a dump and surfin the net.... God bless blackberry
    You can change your ringtone to something by korn or the penuts theme

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by drkildrum; 08-26-08 at 02:18 PM.
    08-26-08 01:44 PM
    Just an update ...
    So far so good with my BB everything seems to be in perfect working order and the screen is back to normal.

Keeping fingers crossed that I escaped any major damage.
    08-28-08 07:38 AM
    Ever see the episode of Myth Busters with toilets.....

Tooth brushes are more worse
    I Learn Everything on science from Myth Busters and Bill Nye!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-08 11:11 AM
    rice? am I missing something?
    08-29-08 07:54 AM
    Uncooked rice absorbes moisture very well, so if you pack the phone in rice (just put it in a bag with some rice, don't pack rice into the phone, lol) , the theory is the rice will absorb any excess moisture you can't reach.

If you've ever been to a humid area, you'll notice rice in restaurant salt shakers. The rice absorbes the moisture preventing the salt from clumping up from the humidity.
    08-29-08 09:19 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD