Is there any way that i can Enlarge the size of my text message capability. right now i can only get 160 characters and i would like at least twice that

Thank You,

Troy
    11-17-08 06:01 PM
    Only way to do so is to use MMS. MMS allows for 1000 characters to be used. Just make sure the person receiving it has a MMS option on their plan, otherwise they'll get charged for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 06:08 PM
    This drives me insane too!

However I am running the newest 4.5 os and I have noticed that when I receive texts from others that send a text bigger that 160 its comes in as once vs when I was on 4.3 they would come in separate.

BUT This is something so simple and it seem complete common sense that RIM with a device that can pretty do almost anything we ask it to cant come up with a simple fix.

simply letting you type more than 160 and send it as two texts?

Lame
    11-17-08 06:15 PM
    If you need to type that much why not just send an email?

11-17-08 07:28 PM
    Only way to do so is to use MMS. MMS allows for 1000 characters to be used. Just make sure the person receiving it has a MMS option on their plan, otherwise they'll get charged for it.

For those of us who are BlackBerry idiots, and have no clue how to send a MMS, how does one go about doing so. (I've been trying to figure it out for a while now, but figured I was missing something obvious, so I never asked on here)

Edit - And the "create MMS" isn't one of my options when I try to create a new message.
    Last edited by AdamLikesMusic; 11-18-08 at 01:04 AM.
    11-18-08 12:59 AM
    sms (short message service) is just that, a short message. It's designed to be extremely short, so it is a small data package that can be transmitted quickly. This isn't a limitation that anyone has put on it, it's the way the system was designed. It has nothing at all to do with your phone.
    11-18-08 02:31 AM
    Adam what service provider do you have and what os are you running?

11-18-08 08:58 AM
    Adam what service provider do you have and what os are you running?

I'm on Alltel

As for OS... Not sure. Whatever came preinstalled in July.
    11-18-08 10:02 AM
    This drives me insane too!

However I am running the newest 4.5 os and I have noticed that when I receive texts from others that send a text bigger that 160 its comes in as once vs when I was on 4.3 they would come in separate.

BUT This is something so simple and it seem complete common sense that RIM with a device that can pretty do almost anything we ask it to cant come up with a simple fix.

simply letting you type more than 160 and send it as two texts?

Lame

Yes, I've seen messages come as two texts. Only seen this with Verizon and Ntelos though.
    11-18-08 10:04 AM
    Go to your sms/mms folder hit the options button and compose mms. I think alltell supports mms but I am not 100% sure.
    11-18-08 10:05 AM
    Go to your sms/mms folder hit the options button and compose mms. I think alltell supports mms but I am not 100% sure.
    There is no option, that is my problem.

I did a google search, and it came up with a thread on these boards from October, saying there was a new update out from Alltel that would allow for MMS. Dumb question (and off topic, sorry!), but how does one go about updating their BlackBerry?

Thanks!
    11-18-08 10:50 AM
    There is no option, that is my problem.

I did a google search, and it came up with a thread on these boards from October, saying there was a new update out from Alltel that would allow for MMS. Dumb question (and off topic, sorry!), but how does one go about updating their BlackBerry?

Thanks!
    Here is the link for the Alltel upgrade. http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/new...anguage-85685/
    And here is the link on how to upgrade.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    11-18-08 10:57 AM
    my problem is when somebody sends me one bigger i only receive the first 160 characters not the rest, not even in a seperate message. and the reason for not sending an email is because the people i am texting to have regular phones.
    11-18-08 05:10 PM
    my problem is when somebody sends me one bigger i only receive the first 160 characters not the rest, not even in a seperate message. and the reason for not sending an email is because the people i am texting to have regular phones.

You should be able to send your message as an MMS instead of a SMS. That shouldn't be a problem with Alltel.
    11-19-08 07:02 AM
    You should be able to send your message as an MMS instead of a SMS. That shouldn't be a problem with Alltel.
    I think you are correct but only if the OS has been upgraded.
    11-19-08 08:13 AM
    no u can't increase text messages past 160 characters. the other option is mms for long posts.
    11-19-08 12:06 PM
    With my old nokia, several years ago, it would automatically let you keep typing beyond the character limit, then send it as multiple sms messages: 1/3, 2/3 3/3, etc. When receiving such messages it would re-assemble them so they would seamlessly appear as one message.

Any way to enable such a functionality for the BlackBerry?

As i recall it was fraught with bugs, i.e. if you clicked on the first sms before part 2 downloaded it wouldn't merge them. I guess we should be happy with 160 characters?
    11-19-08 07:40 PM
    Not sure about your phone but on my phone I put in the number, press the options button to the left of the track ball and the menu gives me the option of calling, sending a mms, sms, etc.
    10-01-09 07:52 PM
    holy spam batman
    10-01-09 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD