Firstly, this is my first post....
    Secondly, I bought a used blackberry 8100, heres my question. I dont know if it has a current password of not which would have been set from the previous user. I would like to be able to password protect my BB, my question is this; When Im on the appropriate screen to enable/disable password, how could i change it without knowing it or it being enabled, or is thier a way i can tell if thier is even a password on it before I enable it?
    Thanks
    05-31-09 01:19 PM
    If you can get into the phone then it is not password protected. Second from that screen you are on just enable the password and set it to what you wish.
    05-31-09 02:08 PM
    sorry i should have said that it was no password protected when i bought it, meaning it was disabaled. So im not sure if the previous owner has a set password on the phone and simply has it disabled and when i hit enable it will lock with his password....
    05-31-09 02:32 PM
    When you change it to enabled it will ask you for new password.
    05-31-09 02:50 PM
    so by enabling it, even if thier is already a password set that i dont know, it will ask me for a new one?
    05-31-09 03:40 PM
    If you can get into the phone, there is no password set. If the previous owner had one, he has disabled it. When you select enable, you will be prompted to create one of your own. Any previous passwords are irrelevant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 04:31 PM
    Yes. These are the directions in the BlackBerry Users Guide:

Security basics

About the device password

If you type your BlackBerry� device password incorrectly, you might be prompted to type blackberry before you can continue. When you try to type your password again, the characters that you type appear on the screen.
    If you exceed the number of allowed password attempts, your device deletes all your device data for security reasons.

Set a device password
    1. In the device options, click Security Options.
    2. Click General Settings.
    3. Set the Password field to Enabled.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Save.
    To turn off the BlackBerry� device password, set the Password field to Disabled.
    05-31-09 04:32 PM
    I had the same question about my used 8330, glad I did a search first.
    06-03-09 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD