So...the newbie got the information from Palm desktop to Yahoo to Outlook, and I'm confident that today I can get it to my blackberry, but... where am I storing that information?

In Palm, you have the desktop, and you have the unit. I am, I hope, assuming correctly that I have some sort of desktop manager with the blackberry software. I already have it on my computer, but don't see the calendar or contacts type pages.

Can anyone explain the differences between using Palm and Blackberry - in usage and on the desktop?

Thanks - I made a decision to NOT get a palm phone at the Verizon store and jumped into the blackberry world, and I am hoping that, at the end of the transition, I am happy I did!. Right now I am still not sure I made the right decision, at least until I get this straightened out.

All help and ideas are very much appreciated.

Jenifer
    03-21-08 09:45 AM
    I haven't used a Palm since my Palm III days. Palm was always a single app running at one time. I don't know if has since changed. There's no background stuff in the old Palm world. Things can be in the background running on your BB (like on Windows Mobile).

There's no desktop associated with the Blackberry. it does support syncing with your desktop or other email platforms. If I recall, the Palm desktop allowed you to have a calendar, etc if you didn't have an existing client app. BB doesn't do that. I never used the Palm desktop anyway. There's a desktop manager app with the BB that you have loaded that you can use for configuration, etc. What is it syncing your contacts with? I use Outlook/Exchange it works over the air and I never need to plug in to sync like you used to do with the Palm (at least way back when).
    03-21-08 10:17 AM
    I am so sorry, and this probably is a reflection of my ignorance, but I didn't understand a lot of what you said.

Could someone break it down in more simple terms? So there is no desktop application with the blackberry? I work at my desk and usually just add events/contacts to my palm desktop for ease of use, then just hot sync to the handheld. I guess my question really is, how do I do this with a blackberry? Or what is the equivalent?
    03-21-08 10:27 AM
    I just switched from a Palm to a Blackberry Pearl. Blackberry uses Microsoft Outlook to hold information to sync to your Pearl. The best way to get all of your information from the Palm Desktop to Outlook is to get this Copy Palm Desktop data into Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes with PocketCopy. .

When that is installed it will put a icon on the top bar of your Palm desktop and all you need to do is tap it and it will convert all of your information (birthdays, meetings...everything) to Outlook.

From there, after you have installed the BB Desktop Manager you can sync everything on your BB just like it was on your Palm. Or just watch this walkthrough. Mind you he is using Palm to PocketPC, but it is the same walkthrough to get it to Blackberry.
    Video: Transfer data from Palm to Pocket PC - Transfer data with PocketCopy - CNET Reviews

I hope that is what you are asking. Blackberry uses Outlook via Desktop Manager to sync. Where Palm just uses one program, Palm Desktop.
    Last edited by Shazz; 03-21-08 at 10:51 AM.
    03-21-08 10:48 AM
    There is no desktop application provided with the BB to manage your email, contacts, calendar, tasks, todo, etc. The BB platform relies on some existing desktop application like Outlook and it syncs it. It is able to sync wirelessly vs having to plug in and manually do it.

What are you using to get your mail on your desktop today and how does it get to your BlackBerry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-08 10:49 AM
    I have a hotmail account, and I'm getting those emails on my computer.

I have gotten my contacts from the palm into Outlook, as well as the calendar (although it doesn't look like everything came over for some reason). So am I now committed to using Outlook for my contacts and calendar? That's fine if that's the case, I just didn't understand.

Now, assuming that's the case, is syncing easy? How do I sync wirelessly?
    03-21-08 04:01 PM
    I don't think wireless syncing is possible with BIS which is the personal type BB plan. I believe it is a feature of BES.
    03-21-08 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD