I'm looking to buy a new unlocked, quad band GSM Pearl 8110 (GPS) or 8120 (W-Fi) for use by relatives who come from overseas every year. The plan is to just get the simple $30.00/month pay as you go T-Mobile sim card, and out of curiosity, which version is most usefull, the wi-fi version or the GPS version?
    01-07-12 10:36 AM
    think of it this way, are your relatives in need of GPS or Wi Fi?

they are the only ones who can answer the question

to be honest, probably the GPS one, make sure they have data and give them google maps, in case they get lost
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-07-12 11:28 AM
    think of it this way, are your relatives in need of GPS or Wi Fi?

they are the only ones who can answer the question

to be honest, probably the GPS one, make sure they have data and give them google maps, in case they get lost
    Thanks, that was what I was thinking.
    01-07-12 11:35 AM
    I have a 8120 Pearl. Just activated a $30 T-Mobile sim card for the Monthly prepaid 4g plan,with unlimited web, unlimited text and 100 minutes talk. I know the 8120 will not get the 4G, but just wanted the unlimited web/data. Now I find out that I cannot access the web via the data plan because it is a Blackberry. The only way to use the data plan is to sign up for the $50 or $70 dollar plan plus pay and extra $10/month even though I do not want the Blackberry Internet Services(BIS).
    I can only access the internet via the WiFi connection...
    I suggest that when you sign up for a plan be absolutely sure that you are going to get all the features you want for your relatives.....
    01-07-12 02:22 PM
    I'd lean toward being GPS enabled over Wi-Fi capable any day.
    01-07-12 03:05 PM
    I have a 8120 Pearl. Just activated a $30 T-Mobile sim card for the Monthly prepaid 4g plan,with unlimited web, unlimited text and 100 minutes talk. I know the 8120 will not get the 4G, but just wanted the unlimited web/data. Now I find out that I cannot access the web via the data plan because it is a Blackberry. The only way to use the data plan is to sign up for the $50 or $70 dollar plan plus pay and extra $10/month even though I do not want the Blackberry Internet Services(BIS).
    I can only access the internet via the WiFi connection...
    I suggest that when you sign up for a plan be absolutely sure that you are going to get all the features you want for your relatives.....
    Actually you can access web w/o BIS plan.
    In Options, goto Advanced> TCP IP> select "Enable APN"> write in your carrier APN.

* IMO this defeats the purpose of getting a BB. BB works best "with" BIS. One might as well get an android device otherwise.
    Last edited by gvs1341; 06-22-12 at 04:02 AM.
    06-22-12 03:58 AM
    I'd lean toward being GPS enabled over Wi-Fi capable any day.
    Same here...

But if one has a wifi access @ home/office, could save the carrier data charges...
    Last edited by gvs1341; 06-22-12 at 04:03 AM.
    06-22-12 04:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD