i cant use any applications over the WiFi and when i asked O2 they say that they dont block any apps.But i asked them whether they support UMA and the guys said NO!! reason why i bought the 8120 is because of the WiFi feature plus i dont want to use "GPRS" to online nor do i want to use BES. I do have my own mail server so its so easy if i could use apps such as gtalk,Jive,gmaps etc. BUt now im stuck with the 8120, i can only use the browser! cant even use opera!! PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME!! ARE THERE ANY CRACKS AVAILABLE!! anything to bypass the UMA scene!! im soo frustrated !! plus i pay �40 a month and i only have the mins.. I cant so any of my work!! please help!!!! thanks...
    04-07-08 06:06 PM
    Only orange in the Uk has UMA.

Gmaps is not availble over wifi but I beleive Jivetalk is. Did you not get the o2 Blackberry Internet Service plan as well as your voice plan?

Welcome to CB by the way.
    04-07-08 06:16 PM
    oh no i didnt. i think i have to pay more. i was going to depend alot on WiFi.. only place i dont have that is when im in my car. . i dont understand why Jive, yahoo Go and other applications do not work!! today o2 said that a new firmware is available and that might solve the problem. But i just finished updating my firmware , and i do have the same problem!!

Thanks alot for the reply!!
    04-08-08 04:38 AM
    Yeah the BIS plan would cost you another tenner per month.

I don't have wifi so I can't help you much here but hopefully someone else will come along and help you. Yahoo go is only available over the air though I think.

You should be able to load some applications via the desktop manager (on the CD that came with the bb) though and see if they work with wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-08 04:49 AM
    just rang the o2 data support guys and they are saying that gtalk is "programmed" to work over GPRS and not WiFi. If this is so can i actually change the settings.And are the guys in the states using gtalk and such applications over GPRS?? that might actually cost alot!! O2 guys have no idea what UMA is. So i doubt their answer!!
    04-08-08 05:08 AM
    To use GPRS / EDGE the best thing to do is buy the BIS package as this gives you 200mb of data per month which is a lot. Outside of this package it costs about �1 per mb.

Having the BIS package enables you to get email to your bb without downloading yahoo go or such like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-08 05:33 AM
    HazySky is right, o2 doesn't use UMA, only Orange does in the UK. And as for applications not using wifi, well they have to be programmed to use it and the majority of them aren't. One of the reasons I don't use OperaMini is because it is not wifi compatible, you have to configure the o2 APN settings which, if you use the ones listed on a lot of places (mobile.o2.co.uk) you WILL be charged for even if you have a data plan. The o2wap APN is free, but is so slow it barely works.

Sucks? Yes. And quite a few people have called up o2 support to ***** about it to try and recoup some of their money.

Does your wifi icon show as black or gray? If it's gray it's not completely working, you can also see this by going into the Manage Connections bit.. the wifi icon when enabled and associated will be green. For the longest time this was only showing as yellow which pretty much meant that you could only use the RIM browser over wifi. It's only thanks to the efforts of someone on another forum escalating it with RIM and o2 that the wifi is working as it should.

o2 support are ****, or at least they are for BIS customers. They refuse to let you talk to the actual Blackberry techs, so it's a game of Chinese whispers and repeated phone calls hoping that eventually you'll get someone with a clue who understands enough to relay your problem to the o2 Blackberry techs. First time I called up because I couldn't log into the o2email.co.uk site, I was told it only worked on certain flavors of IE and wouldn't work on Firefox at all. All complete crap.. and on the 3rd call I finally got it sorted. Thank God calling the 0870 support number from your BB is free..

One thing that the O2 8120 doesn't let you do is to configure 'I prefer my phone to use wifi, then mobile networks' as this option isn't available under Options > Mobile network whereas on Orange you can.
    Last edited by TornadoDivine; 04-09-08 at 01:49 AM.
    04-08-08 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD