the weirdest thing happen i had my phone connected to the desktop manager and i started receiving a text message. i tried to go to it but it doesnt appear but it still tells me i hav a new message so i send messages to myself and it tells me i received new messages but i can get to them its lik their not there? what can i do?
    07-07-08 01:18 PM
    Ok I'm trying to understand exactly what you are trying to say....
    Can you view your inbox? Is the message not in your inbox period? If this is the case, it may have gone to another folder. Did you try a battery pull?
    07-07-08 01:23 PM
    Check your options/file free. If it's less than 10 000 000 bytes, you're low on memoury, causing you to lose messages. Jenaywins can give you the link to the Stoner memoury procedure. I'm on wap and can't.
    (Sp in your honour, jenaywins)
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 01:32 PM
    Lol.... Ahh Jeff. Love the spelling.

Anyhow.... Very good point.. I never even thought of that.

OP, you definitely may be low on memoury, causing your messages to delete themselves before you even have a chance to check your inbox. Do me a favour. Go to Options>Status and tell me what your available memoury is.
    07-07-08 01:35 PM
    Lol.... Ahh Jeff. Love the spelling.

Anyhow.... Very good point.. I never even thought of that.

OP, you definitely may be low on memoury, causing your messages to delete themselves before you even have a chance to check your inbox. Do me a favour. Go to Options>Status and tell me what your available memoury is.
    I've been having this same problem regularly. Sometimes I have about 5mb free and sometimes I have 0 when this happens.

Relatively new to BB and have not quite divined how I am to best manage my File Free memory. I have a few apps on the device, but nothing really huge, I would think since all the apps seem to be KB's in size, not MB's. So deleting apps doesn't seem like is the way to go particularly. I'm a bit mystified as to how I managed to lose all this memory so quickly. I have a 4gb expansion memory module in it as well. I figured that once I did that my memory problems would be over.

Is there something I can do to really get a grip on a) how to best configure my device for maximum allocation of File Free at all times and b) to ascertain where all my memory has run off to?

Any other advice in this area which might help me to be a better memory manager?

Thanks!

Hans
    BB, 8130 Pearl (red)
    07-09-08 11:34 PM
    Stoner's guide is definitely the best, but it is complicated. Please try the Maxmem app at http://wwwmblackberrytrade.com.

07-09-08 11:39 PM
    First off, the bb can't use the 4gb card as expanded memory. It's only useful for ringtones, pictures, videos, and music. And to be used as a usb disk. You can't run apps from it. You need to run the Stoner memory procedure that I asked jenaywins to post. I can't from wap. It's titled "how to increase your blackberry's memory." It will help you remove things you don't need from memory.

07-09-08 11:39 PM
    I had the same issue and plenty of free memory. A battery pull did the trick for me. Simply shut down your BB, remove the battery, wait about 15 seconds, put the battery back in and power up.
    07-10-08 02:09 PM
    A battery pull reboots the device and cleans up any fragmented memory. That helps until the memory is fragmented again. It's a symptom-reliever, not a solution. The solution is more free memory. To get that, you have to delete the stuff you don't need. The best way to do that is to follow the Stoner procedure referenced above. You'll still have to manage your memory, you'll just have more room to operate.

07-10-08 02:38 PM
    Stoner's guide is definitely the best, but it is complicated. Please try the Maxmem app at http://wwwmblackberrytrade.com.

Do not try the MaxMem app... after the smoke settled, people found flaws in the application!!

I would follow Stoner's Guide (link is below in my signature!!!)

P.S. : I love all the ous going on Jenay honour, favour, memoury... lmao rofl
    07-10-08 02:43 PM
    A battery pull reboots the device and cleans up any fragmented memory. That helps until the memory is fragmented again. It's a symptom-reliever, not a solution. The solution is more free memory. To get that, you have to delete the stuff you don't need. The best way to do that is to follow the Stoner procedure referenced above. You'll still have to manage your memory, you'll just have more room to operate.

Great way to explain it, Jeff!!

Battery Pull = system reliever (like pain relief for a bad back)... following Stoner's Memory Guide is a permanent fix (like back surgery!!)
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-10-08 at 02:47 PM.
    07-10-08 02:45 PM
    I had the same issue and plenty of free memory. A battery pull did the trick for me. Simply shut down your BB, remove the battery, wait about 15 seconds, put the battery back in and power up.
    I should have mentioned that I have been having to do daily battery pulls to fix what seem to be memory related problems, such as: my BB instant messages not showing up in BB Messenger, or my Phone Log emptying itself out multiple times a day (and causing me a ton of trouble--not sure why BB would have that data be stored in a way that it can be erased so easily. It's as valuable to me as the Contacts data so should be as indelible, IMHO.)
    07-10-08 03:15 PM
    Battery pulls only treat the symptoms. You have to follow the Stoner procedure (ref's above) to solve the problem. Have you done that?

07-10-08 03:28 PM
    Battery pulls only treat the symptoms. You have to follow the Stoner procedure (ref's above) to solve the problem. Have you done that?

I may go through those steps and I do appreciate your pointing them out ot me.

Just as a comment though after having read through the Stoner list of steps: if all that has to be done in order to make this device "operational" (no longer needing further care or attention in order to work right) it's not a very good commentary on RIM as the maker of this device. Don't get me wrong, I love the BB. But one shouldn't have to jump through that many hoops to free up something as fundamental to basic function as maintaining free memory. I mean that's just goofy.

Having said that, I guess I'll have to do it. First I think I'm going to pay a visit to Sprint and bust their chops a bit and see if they can help handle some of this for me. Have had some success with doing that before.
    07-10-08 04:10 PM
    I have one more bit of bad news. The Stoner procedure is basically a one-time task, but it does not eliminate the need for further care. You still have to actively manage your memory by closing tasks and watching for memory leaks. Stoner's procedure just frees up memory so you can manage it.

I would not expect the Sprint store people to know one-third of the info in Stoner's procedure. If they knew enough to refer you to here, I'd be surprised. And I don't mean that as a criticism.

07-10-08 05:10 PM
    I would not expect the Sprint store people to know one-third of the info in Stoner's procedure. If they knew enough to refer you to here, I'd be surprised. And I don't mean that as a criticism.
    AGREED 100%, I believe any trip to the Sprint store would simply be a waste of gas. The representatives barely know enough to SELL the devices, let alone to troubleshoot them!

I find Stoner's guide very hard to follow myself... I follow this one whenever I have to reload the OS (I've been through this guide a few times in the past month as I switched to a new laptop and from BES to BIS).

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

This is something you ABSOLUTELY should do immediately!!
    07-10-08 05:49 PM
    I used John Clark's procedure before Stoner created his. Both are useful. Clark spends more time dealing with themes than does Stoner. If one is a little unclear in an area, referring to the other is a good idea. The end result of either is more free memory.

07-10-08 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD