I just saw on the sticky that Verizon has a software update for the pearl out.

I'm a NewB to blackberry phones. SO when should I update my phone software and is it like flashing a new device? could it possibly brick my phone if something goes wrong? (like a freak power outage) My area is not prone to power outages that just an example.

but is it necessary to run the update? is there anyway to do it from a mac? (if not I have easy access to a windows machine so it's no big deal, just curious)

thanks
    bubs
    Last edited by bubs; 03-24-08 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added the Oh No!
    03-24-08 12:20 PM
    One thing I liked after I performed the update was the fact that when you hit the mute button to go into standby mode, it no longer prompts you anymore. Also, personally I like to be up to date as possible when it comes to software.
    03-24-08 01:25 PM
    Thanks. I decided to update and am doing it now. the only problem is that windows computer I have is kinda slow

well see how it turns out.
    03-24-08 02:39 PM
    cool everythings fine worked without trouble.

was worried about nothing

bubs
    03-24-08 03:24 PM
    spoke to soon. I updated the phone but I lost ALL service. I can't make calls out or receive calls. I've been kicked from the network. I don't know what else to do but drive to the VZW store and have them look at it. this sucks.
    03-24-08 04:11 PM
    I'm going to wait for the 4.5 if it ever comes
    03-24-08 06:32 PM
    I def hope vzw can fix it. Any idea what went wrong? I was gona update today but I think I'm hold off for a bit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 07:16 PM
    I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. Did you restore from the backup you did before the update?
    03-24-08 07:19 PM
    Send the service books again. Make sure the option to turn radio on is not in the off position.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 08:15 PM
    I had the same problem after update. Go to your options, advanced options, host routing table, hit the menu button, and click on register now. That fixed it for me
    03-25-08 01:17 AM
    bubs, try what thrax has suggested. Registration should happen automatically as part of the upgrade process, but I have heard of some folks having to do it manually for some reason.
    03-25-08 05:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD