Hello all. Just got my pearl about a week ago. I want to love It, I really do, but this thing is giving me fits! I'm good with computers but I have soo many questions. I'm just going with 1 for now. Just got the opera mini browser and I love it. Its better than the default browser, but its huge and I'm already down to 6 megabytes ff space so can I delete the default browser to save some space? More questions to come. Thanks for the help now and in the future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 08:53 PM
    Hello all. Just got my pearl about a week ago. I want to love It, I really do, but this thing is giving me fits! I'm good with computers but I have soo many questions. I'm just going with 1 for now. Just got the opera mini browser and I love it. Its better than the default browser, but its huge and I'm already down to 6 megabytes ff space so can I delete the default browser to save some space? More questions to come. Thanks for the help now and in the future.

If you are truly down to 6 MB of memory you need to increase that. You want to delete any themes/apps you don't use or want. Make sure pics are being saved to media card and not device memory. Also make sure you properly close apps by selecting menu>close rather than hitting the END button and leaving them running in the background. Use the how to increase blackberry's file free memory link under memory optimization in my signature. Doing this procedure will help you. Good luck....
    06-24-09 09:02 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

This will give you ways to optimize your BB. If you don't have a media card, you might want to invest in one for pics and ringers.

06-24-09 09:09 PM
    Removing the default Browser will cause problems, it is closely associated with the email system. The default to open any link will always be the BlackBerry Browser.

If you prefer the optional Browser, there is a memory penalty you will live with.

The advise to optimize your memory will pay off.
    06-24-09 09:14 PM
    You also need to make sure that your auto off/on is set to turn your berry off and back on every day, and do the occasional battery pull (pull the battery out with your berry on).
    06-24-09 09:16 PM
    You also need to make sure that your auto off/on is set to turn your berry off and back on every day, and do the occasional battery pull (pull the battery out with your berry on).
    Hmm, I've never turned mine off. I do a battery pull as needed, you think powering up and down makes a difference?

06-24-09 09:22 PM
    When you pull the battery, a lot of information is flushed and will have to be rebuilt after it has restarted.

I do not share the enthusiasm for a regular battery pull. Mine run months at a time. I leave the memory management to the experts:

Bill Joy's Sun Microsystems Java. It really works well.
    06-24-09 09:28 PM

Use the quickpull app for battery pull and it is scheduled everyday at 11 PM but I'm not sure that is even working. I usually turn my device off at night manually to charge. I have only the 3 themes that came with the phone and no more. Planning on getting rid of apps ASAP. But don't have but just a few third party apps the rest are the oem apps that came with the phone. Input?

06-24-09 10:13 PM
    Use the quickpull app for battery pull and it is scheduled everyday at 11 PM but I'm not sure that is even working. I usually turn my device off at night manually to charge. I have only the 3 themes that came with the phone and no more. Planning on getting rid of apps ASAP. But don't have but just a few third party apps the rest are the oem apps that came with the phone. Input?

Personally I don't use Quickpull because it simulates a battery pull, something I can do just fine myself if need be. I agree with Reed, I go for months without pulling mine and it is just fine. 3 themes not too bad, what apps are you running? That will probably tell the tale. Have you looked at the link yet?
    06-24-09 10:27 PM
    Go to the link! It's awesome! It will answer a lot of your questions.

06-24-09 10:38 PM
    I preformed all the suggestions in the link a week or so back, before I even made my first post. I have a 2 gig memory card installed since the purchase of the phone. My apps are as follows:
    (I'm including all the apps that came with the phone as well as the ones that I have installed myself) Messages, AOL (mail) SMS & MMS, Yahoo msgr, AIM msgr, Browser, Address Book, Memo Pad, Calendar, Tasks, Media, Myspace, Blackberry Msgr, Blackberry App World, Yahoo Search, Maps, Voice Notes, Camcorder, Camera, Alarm, Calculator, The Weather Channel, Password Keeper, Voice Dialing (I do use this with my Bluetooth),
    Brickbreaker, Crackberry (mobile version), Help, Blackberry Help, Quickpull, Search, Opera Mini, Documents TO GO, TeleNav, Games and More, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, Set up Bluetooth, Options, Manage Connections, Lock, Profiles, and Power Off. That is everything that is on my phone. Now some of these are not actually installed, they are just the executable's that are required to install should I choose to do so. For example, the TeleNav. I havent actually installed the GPS stuff and don't plan to do so. And the Blackberry Msgr, same thing. Which brings me to my next question. There were several things that came on the phone (not installed, just executable's) that I did not want, for example; Google talk, Facebook, and several other things. The only way for me to get rid of them was to delete them under "service books" which I did. Problem is every time, or most every time, that I do a battery pull or a quick pull they come back. I want them gone. How can I do this? I dont want to just hide them. Will CrackMem or MaxMem work? Thanks for all the help.
    06-25-09 02:05 PM
    Sorry, you are stuck with certain things, like you said, you can delete the service books, but they just come back. These items are pushed to your device by RIM, but like you said, they aren't actuallly installed, just a launcher to do so, therefore, they aren't taking up much space, all you can really do is hide them.

06-25-09 09:16 PM
    You seem to be pretty low but honestly with my pearl I don't have much mem either. I have deleted voice dialing, all but one theme, help (which I suggest doing, as you can just go online), all languages, all preloaded games pix and vids, docs to go, and lots of other misc. I have a couple of 3rd party apps, but nothing huge, and I only have 16 of mem at reboot.

My questions for you:
    Are you using escape or menu>close when you finish with an app? Some things stay open all the time, but its really important to close apps correctly, not use the end key. Hold down shift and esc to view open apps.

Also, and this is kind of random, but the BB app store launcher, did you install it or is it just one of the pushed icons? This app caused a huge memory leak for me, however, if your mem is that low on reboot, I don't see a leak being your problem.
    It seems to me that you are just really taxing out the device, sounds like you need a device with more flash memory in order to run all the apps you need/want. The pearl is a great device, but mem is limited and honestly its just more of a casual user device, IMO. How long have you had it now? I would say take it back, get something with more mem, the pearl flip has as much flash mem as the storm, and the keyboard is awesome, if you like a smaller device, you could run everything you have and more. and, obviously most of the larger devices have more mem too. Bb's are great devices, and I think you'd be happy with one, they can do all the things you need (judging by your app list) and more, its just about finding the right fit.

06-25-09 09:38 PM
    Oh! And one other thing, there is a great free app called LogMaid, its VERY small, and clears your event log and other misc logs, I really like it, frees up a bit of mem throughout the day.

06-25-09 09:42 PM
    Just finished using the, "How to increase BB's File Free Memory/Better" suggestion from the forums. Got rid of Help and Password Keeper. Now on reboot, I have 16 Megs I think. 16 then 6 numbers past that. I would also like to get rid of the BB Messenger. Can I do that as well, or is it tied into the other messaging services that I have (aol and yahoo) and would mess them up. It says something about this in the "...File Free Memory" forum that I used to free up the memory earlier, but I dont understand what it means. Here it is: "BlackBerry Messenger is the core of the IM application." So I dont know if I can remove it safely. As far as the other executable files that I mentioned in an earlier post that I want to get rid of...there has to be a way to get rid of them permanently. CrackMem maybe? I dont want to just hide them if at all possible. And the BB App store was an application that I installed, to answer your previous question. I would also like to get rid of the email setup app, yahoo search, search, blackberry help, and the setup wizard. Is this possible? None of these are listed in the app loader from the desktop software. Can I delete it from the device under options>advanced options>applications? Also I was thinking, the executables that I want to get rid of, but keep coming back..What if I actually installed them, then deleted the whole app. Would this work? Thanks for all the help!
    06-26-09 01:14 AM
    Ive had my device for about two weeks now. And they were on sale where I live for .99 cents. So perfect for my budget as I just moved here and don't have a lot of money. ALSO: Shift and Escape does not work on my phone. At least I dont think it does. When I do it it brings up the box that you see when you want to switch applications from an open application. It shows several different things, and when I go to properly close the application, for example, the browser, and then I do shift and escape again, its still there. So this must not be working. I also have memory cleaning set to run after thirty minutes of idle, but I dont know if the things that I have scheduled to run are actually running as scheduled, for example, mem clean and quick pull.
    06-26-09 01:22 AM
    OMG! This is terrible! New development. I have no idea what has happened. After doing what I explained above, I tried to get rid of a single preloaded theme. The "today" theme. I used the "How to increase BB's Free File Memory/Slightly More Difficult" suggestion in the forums to get rid of the theme. I did what the instructions said to do, and I reset my phone. I noticed that the theme was still there. I also noticed that in my media>pictures that my folder was renamed to something different than what I named it. So I thought something had happened. So I used the Desktop software to do a restore which I had performed before I made any changes. When I did this and checked my phone again several things are MISSING from my home screen; Browser, Yahoo Search, TeleNav, Games and More, and Email Setup. These are all things that I wanted to get rid of as mentioned in earlier posts, but not this way. Everything seems to be working fine, but I want it to go back to the way it was, and to complete the changes properly and actually know what I did. Also, Browser is still there under options>advanced options but when I click browser all it says on the device is "default browser configurations" theres nothing else there! Please Help!
    06-26-09 02:54 AM
    Ok. Think its all fixed. Did an actual battery pull and all of them came back. Although it was not registered to the network and had no browser capability. (found this out after above post) However, after pulling the battery all is well again, but the phone registered to the network on its own without me telling it to. I have found from alltel tech support that this is not appropriate and am thinking of returning the phone for another pearl.
    06-26-09 03:48 AM
    There are some things that always stay open, when you do the shift/esc the box you are seeing is correct. Bbm, browser, mail, home screen, and call log always stay open, there is no way to close these.

06-26-09 08:31 AM
    OK. Thanks. No open apps now. Using the close option to shut them down properly. Haven't returned the phone yet. Not sure if I want to part with this particular device, and start all over with all that I have done. Any thoughts on any of my other problems?
    06-26-09 11:30 AM
    I'm not sure what other advice I can offer, what's your memory running at now? Any improvement?

06-27-09 02:45 PM
    Just finished using the, "How to increase BB's File Free Memory/Better" suggestion from the forums. Got rid of Help and Password Keeper. Now on reboot, I have 16 Megs I think. 16 then 6 numbers past that. I would also like to get rid of the BB Messenger. Can I do that as well, or is it tied into the other messaging services that I have (aol and yahoo) and would mess them up. It says something about this in the "...File Free Memory" forum that I used to free up the memory earlier, but I dont understand what it means. Here it is: "BlackBerry Messenger is the core of the IM application." So I dont know if I can remove it safely. As far as the other executable files that I mentioned in an earlier post that I want to get rid of...there has to be a way to get rid of them permanently. CrackMem maybe? I dont want to just hide them if at all possible. And the BB App store was an application that I installed, to answer your previous question. I would also like to get rid of the email setup app, yahoo search, search, blackberry help, and the setup wizard. Is this possible? None of these are listed in the app loader from the desktop software. Can I delete it from the device under options>advanced options>applications? Also I was thinking, the executables that I want to get rid of, but keep coming back..What if I actually installed them, then deleted the whole app. Would this work? Thanks for all the help!
    Ok, I didn't see this post before for some reason, sorry. First of all, I have no idea about bbm, I use it all the time, but my guess would be yes you can delete it with no side effects, but I honestly don't know FOR sure. Search the forums for bbm delete, surely its been covered somewhere. As far as the executables you're stuck with them. Crackmem will not help. You can delete them and remove service books, RIM servers will push them back, period. Annoying I know. As far as help, you can easily delete this through advanced options>apps. In fact, any app listed, that gives you the delete option in the menu, then its the easiest way, I think. Yahoo should be easy to delete, but some carriers have deals with 3rd party providers, however I think it can be deleted easy enough, again through potions. Basically, if the advanced options menu will let you delete it, go for it, even bbm, if you've backed up, and it causes a glitch somewhere, just reload it. If you lose the backup, everything is available somewhere, and BB software is especially. Set-up wizards and the like are, I believe, tied to the core software, I've never tried to delete these and honestly wouldn't even know where to tell you get this info. I'm curious now though, maybe I'll do some research. Just a side note, bbm is awesome, if you chat with anyone else with a BB you should try it out. I don't know what carrier you use, or what your plan is like, but bbm is free, I mean, it works through bis, so there aren't any data charges. How's she running now that your mem is up, smoother?

06-27-09 03:16 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...2/#post2876465

You might check out this thread, at your own risk

06-27-09 03:26 PM
    Running about 14-16 Megs now. Sorry so short running out of the house. Be back soon. THANKS!
    06-30-09 10:37 AM
    That's great!

07-01-09 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD