i have a black berry pearl 8110 for att but i want to download stuff to my phone free items such as themes and ring tones etc... but i dont have a data plan and it cost me my mins to use the internet. i also got the phone from some one so i did not get the install disc that comes in the box with the phone. where can i download the soft ware for free and do i need the blackberry desktop also ?.

and the bb messenger i have it on my phone and i guess it works but i cant talk to anyone on it i dont know how to add the contact like i got there pin to add but im lost after that and does it need the data plan to work ?

if some can explain this to me that would be great im also getting a pearl with wifi so if anyone needs a pearl let me know cause ill be selling my 8110 once i get the one with wifi.
    07-17-10 12:32 PM
    You have to have a data plan to use BBM.

You can download the Desktop Manager software from RIM, here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites. The software is free. Desktop Manager runs on your PC, so you don't need a BlackBerry data plan to download and use it. You can also use the App Loader function in Desktop Manager to install themes without needing a BlackBerry data plan. You can probably install ring tones also, but I don't use them and haven't tried it.
    07-17-10 03:11 PM
    alright cool i do love the phone and just needed a little help gettin to customize it to my liking also i can use the wi fi with out a data plan also right ?
    07-17-10 03:17 PM
    ... i can use the wi fi with out a data plan also right ?
    I think so, but I've never used a BlackBerry with wifi so I can't say about specific apps.
    07-17-10 03:42 PM
    EDIT:
    OK, stupid forum software won't let me post links - I haven't posted enough on this forum. Look for the thread " Anyone currently using an 8120 w/ T-mobile prepaid sim card? " - I posted some additional info there.

Quick version - wifi on 8120 works for web browsing only, so far. Still working on it, though...

Walt
    08-19-10 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD