It's been two weeks with my Pearl and I'm still learning...

To compose a new E-mail or Text Message (default):
    1) Scroll the icons
    2) Select the Address Book icon
    3) Scroll down the list and highlight the person
    4) Click the Menu button
    5) Scroll down the Menu options
    6) Select Email... or SMS...

*** MY SHORTCUT ***
    First, re-assign the left (or right) shortcut button to "Compose" (You can do that under Options | Screen/Keyboard).

To compose a new E-mail or Text Message (with my shortcut):
    1) Press the shortcut button
    2) Scroll down the list and highlight the person
    3) Press the trackball

NOTE: I found that the Pearl remembers the last action you did for each person -- It keeps track which one you did last time (E-mail, SMS, or Call). When you hit the trackball, it will automatically initiate the last action (E-mail, SMS, or Call) for that person. So beware that if the last time you called the person, it will start dialing when you hit the trackball!

I have found this shortcut to be very useful since I like to text a lot. It is half the steps and saves a lot of time. I also started creating Groups in my Address Book so I can automatically send text messages to multiple people at once! I use my shortcut to SMS Text my groups!

This phone is great!
    Last edited by Impulss; 12-12-07 at 08:15 PM.
    12-12-07 08:13 PM
    Wow, nice find. We need to make a tips and tricks thread for these cool things.
    12-12-07 09:09 PM
    In most cases typing the first letters of the name you want in the address book will reduce or eliminate the scrolling through the list.
    12-27-07 08:30 PM
    Wow, nice find. We need to make a tips and tricks thread for these cool things.
    There already is a "Tips and Tricks" thread for the 8130. http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/tip...-8130-a-11235/
    12-27-07 08:43 PM
    Thanks for the tips.
    01-27-08 08:05 PM
    It's been two weeks with my Pearl and I'm still learning...

To compose a new E-mail or Text Message (default):
    1) Scroll the icons
    2) Select the Address Book icon
    3) Scroll down the list and highlight the person
    4) Click the Menu button
    5) Scroll down the Menu options
    6) Select Email... or SMS...

*** MY SHORTCUT ***
    First, re-assign the left (or right) shortcut button to "Compose" (You can do that under Options | Screen/Keyboard).

To compose a new E-mail or Text Message (with my shortcut):
    1) Press the shortcut button
    2) Scroll down the list and highlight the person
    3) Press the trackball

NOTE: I found that the Pearl remembers the last action you did for each person -- It keeps track which one you did last time (E-mail, SMS, or Call). When you hit the trackball, it will automatically initiate the last action (E-mail, SMS, or Call) for that person. So beware that if the last time you called the person, it will start dialing when you hit the trackball!

I have found this shortcut to be very useful since I like to text a lot. It is half the steps and saves a lot of time. I also started creating Groups in my Address Book so I can automatically send text messages to multiple people at once! I use my shortcut to SMS Text my groups
    This phone is great!
    Love this tip! My kids don't know how to talk on a phone so they text all the time - alllllll the time! This helps so much!
    05-17-08 11:10 AM
    Love this tip! My kids don't know how to talk on a phone so they text all the time - alllllll the time! This helps so much!
    If you get a text from one of your kids, when you're on the text in the message list or in the text message itself, hit the QW key. It's a quick key for replying. You can use it for any message type.
    05-17-08 05:11 PM
    If you get a text from one of your kids, when you're on the text in the message list or in the text message itself, hit the QW key. It's a quick key for replying. You can use it for any message type.
    wow thats neat i didnt know that. thanks
    08-14-08 10:13 AM
    For you guys who text a lot, theres an app called LaunchPads. I set it to run off one of my side buttons. Its set up so that when I click the side button I get 8-10 buttons of my favourite contacts to text and email (and I've also set up a "new text" and "new email"). Its the fastest way to text and email out and always "remembers", not like the compose shortcut which only remembers the last thing you did.

LaunchPads does have all sorts of choices (browser, calendar etc) but I just use it for creating texts and emails.
    11-25-08 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD