Can anyone tell me if they're having the same problem as me or if they have any advice as to what may be wrong?? I'm going to bring my phone into Verizon if I can't figure out whats going on...

Lately (within the past two weeks), my bb has been deleting my messages, phone logs, facebook alerts, and emails, randomly, without me even touching my phone. Like tonight, for instance, I was texting a few people and went into my MMS inbox, and all of a sudden everything was gone. My phone was sitting right in front of me on my table, and nothing had touched it. The call log was deleted as well. This has been going on about once a day for the past couple of weeks. I will have new messages, and then when I hear my phone and go to look at it, the new messages and all old will be gone.

I have taken off the auto-delete mode on all messages and phone log, and none of the side buttons are corresponding to deletions either. I have no idea whats going on - if someone can answer this for me, or has had this happen to them, please let me know what I can do, if anything. Thanks so much!!
    06-14-08 10:13 PM
    mine is doing the same thing. i took it to the verison store, and they told me its a known bug- with they'd tole me when i bought it so i could have been prepared... they said there was a dowload patch on their site, under support. But there isnt. When I called tech support he walked me theu their "work around" which was great- but only lasted me 12 hours before it stated again. I dont know what to tell you other than you arent alone. The phone thinks its low on memory- i got mine a week ago- i can assure you its not low on memory...

i'm going to go into the verizon store again on monday & raise a stink. i love this phone- and they know there is a prombel, so they need to come up with a solution !
    06-14-08 11:18 PM
    This is a known bug and there is a known fix and, it is real easy.

Your phone does not have enough working memory.

Go to Options, Status and check the File Free number. You need 12Mb to avoud trouble. The number diaplayed is in bytes so divide by a million.

IF the phone needs memory for its own use then it wil just start deleting stuff that it considered non-esential. This includes your emails, call log, etc. Remeber the Blackberry traditionally gets its emails, etc. from a corporate server so these can normally be easily replaced by email reconcilliation. This is not the case with privately owned phones.

When you phone was delivered, it came loaded with loads of stuff that you really don't need. We can get into removing unwanted additional languages later but for now, we can remove the unwanted Blackberry Sample Video (2Mb) by going to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and scrolling down to Blackberry Sample Video. Press Menu and select Delete and you get back 2Mb of memory.

Once the phone is running again, check File Free again. Then open the back cover and remove the battery for about 30 secs and put it back. When the phone reboots, check file free again. This new number is your true free memory amount.

The Blackberry Operating System (OS) is less than perfect at memory management and removing the battery or, a 'battery oull' as it is known round here cures a multitude of Blackberry ills and should be done about once a week.

Come back here when you are ready as there is more to be done to optimize memory.

Welcome to Crackberry.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-14-08 at 11:37 PM.
    06-14-08 11:34 PM
    Wow ... I totally had no idea that this was a known bug. Thanks so much for the response everyone. Makes me feel better that I'm nto the only one who has this problem ... so frustrating! I did everything that pete6 said ... so let's see if it works.
    06-15-08 10:29 PM
    So glad I found this thread....I just deleted a few things, so I hope this problem doesn't resurface again....it was getting really really annoying losing messages....
    06-15-08 10:59 PM
    I keep having this problem myself. I check the free memory at least once a day and it never drops below 20M, ever! Not since I followed the long instructions to install a custom version of the OS to free up more memory. Yet I still keep having my call logs and SMS messages deleted at random. If this keeps up I'm going to have to go back to my 8700. I can't have my phone erasing information on me when I'm on call, like I was last night when it erased everything in the middle of the night. I just deleted Sudoku and Chess, my only games, to see if that will help. Is this a problem with the 8820, OS 4.2.2.169 or just something that happens with the newer models? Either way this is ridiculous. Or could it be Viigo? This has only happened while it was running, though that probably is just a coincidence.

I got rid of my Moto Q9h for crap like this. Though even with the deletion problem my 8820 is still MUCH better than the Q9h was on a good day. Nothing but a pathetic attempt at being a BlackBerry... Even the 8700g is miles ahead of it in usability and stability.
    06-16-08 04:23 AM
    its says i have 5990392 Butes free
    is that good?
    09-08-09 10:54 PM
    That's just under 6mb latinbarbiie, not enough...
    09-08-09 11:08 PM
    when i had my pearl i just had to do a battery pull and it would take care of it...sooooo try that
    09-09-09 01:03 AM

Go to Options, Status and check the File Free number. You need 12Mb to avoud trouble. The number diaplayed is in bytes so divide by a million.

IF the phone needs memory for its own use then it wil just start deleting stuff that it considered non-esential. This includes your emails, call log, etc. Remeber the Blackberry traditionally gets its emails, etc. from a corporate server so these can normally be easily replaced by email reconcilliation. This is not the case with privately owned phones.

When you phone was delivered, it came loaded with loads of stuff that you really don't need. We can get into removing unwanted additional languages later but for now, we can remove the unwanted Blackberry Sample Video (2Mb) by going to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and scrolling down to Blackberry Sample Video. Press Menu and select Delete and you get back 2Mb of memory.

Once the phone is running again, check File Free again. Then open the back cover and remove the battery for about 30 secs and put it back. When the phone reboots, check file free again. This new number is your true free memory amount.

The Blackberry Operating System (OS) is less than perfect at memory management and removing the battery or, a 'battery oull' as it is known round here cures a multitude of Blackberry ills and should be done about once a week.

Come back here when you are ready as there is more to be done to optimize memory.

Welcome to Crackberry.
    OMG,it sayes 0Bytes!
    03-11-10 04:59 PM

Welcome to Crackberry.
    Thanks, Pete.

That helps. You mentioned deleting languages that we don't need. Can you help explain how to do that?
    09-30-10 09:04 AM
    Great advice from PETE6.
    I have just delete the sample video and from the tragic 316.258 bytes we reach 7072516 bytes so this seams to save me more than 2mb.
    Thanks,there is still life for my pearl
    11-07-13 06:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD