I prefer the multi-tap feature of typing as opposed to the SureType. I have gone into the Language settings and enabled the multi-tap. However, once every couple of days the SureType has somehow reset itself as my default input method without me changing it. How does this happen? And, how can ensure that my 8130 stays on this setting unless I change it?
    12-07-07 11:28 AM
    I'm not sure how to solve your problem, but suretype is amazing, you may be better off getting use to the suretype, I think you'll happier in the end. Just be patient in the beginning while you aren't familiar. I have also noticed that my new words in my custom dictionary aren't regetered until the phone has been power cycled.

Good luck!
    12-07-07 01:13 PM
    any luck with this bkreid? its driving me nuts and I can't get it to stay on multi-tap. ryanokrant.. I tried suretype (for a while), I decided to go back when it started changing my word after I was 3 letters into it. Multi-tap is easlily half the time for me.
    12-10-07 12:35 PM
    I thought I'd be better off with multitap too, but I'm actually using Suretype more. The key is to TRUST Suretype as you're typing. Do NOT look at the screen. Look at the keys as you type. Store common words or names that you use in the dictionary. Don't double tap the letters to keys to get the letter you want, just hit the key once even if the the letter you want on the key is the second letter and just keep typing out the word you want without looking at the screen. When you're done typing the sentence you want(without having looked at the screen) look up at the screen and you'll be surprised how "smart" Suretype is.
    12-10-07 02:24 PM
    I can't image doing multi-tap...
    12-10-07 06:26 PM
    One of the things I was worried about when getting this phone was the fact that it wasn't full qwerty. Well, compared to my other full qwerty blackberry's, i actually prefer SureType! For some reason, i think i actually type faster using Suretype as opposed to full qwerty... maybe it's because my fingers don't have to move as far..

One thing I do is to keep updating my Custom Dictionary to make sure all the non-words I commonly use will pop up automatically. I find myself also add personal words and cleaning out wrong words that were automatically added.

Here is a nice tutorial to show you how SureType works:

SureType 101 Demonstrator for the BlackBerry Pearl Smartphone
    12-10-07 06:30 PM
    I just tried it and it words...I'm liking it, finding it very easy to quick type. Thanks for the info.
    12-11-07 11:41 AM
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it another try.
    12-12-07 02:18 PM
    I was in your shoes at first too, I gave suretype a chance and now I can type faster than I can on a full qwerty blackberry! The key for me was too look only at the keyboard letters and type your words, it auto creates them faster than I can do by myself. Not only that, but if it doesn't know a word you type, it remembers that word so you only have to enter it in once. cool stuff
    12-15-07 07:47 PM
    Suretype is excellent, I also can type faster than my qwerty Treo. I can actually type faster on my pearl than I can on my PC.
    12-15-07 08:14 PM
    Took me about 2 full weeks to get really used to SureType after having the 8700...3 months later, SureType is where its at! Just keep your Custome Dictionary up-to-date, and clean out the unwanted words.
    12-15-07 09:26 PM
    In addition to the Custom Dictionary, I have also started to add new and modify exisiting entries into the AutoText list (in Options).

This way I can type certain things and SureType will automatically change it for me (like a shortcut).

For example, I added:
    itla = it's
    i = I
    ii = u
    tnt = tonight
    dnb = D&B

So I just type the shortcuts I made, and SureType will change it to the full word after I hit space.
    12-15-07 10:39 PM
    I know what you mean! Mine keeps switching back in a matter of hours. It's maddening. Maybe SureType is better, but I like my multi-tap. I'm a new BB user and I might change my mind later, but my brain is saturated right now.

To go back to multi-tap I hit Ctl + Enter to toggle back. Trying to learn SureType right now is a waste... it'll just leak right out my ear.
    12-16-07 07:55 PM
    i prefer multi-tap and my biggest dissapointment with the 8130 is that it doesn't stay in multi-tap mode. I called BB tech support about this because I thought maybe my phone was a lemon but they told me they're aware of this issue and are working on a patch to fix it.
    01-01-08 09:03 AM
    i prefer multi-tap and my biggest dissapointment with the 8130 is that it doesn't stay in multi-tap mode. I called BB tech support about this because I thought maybe my phone was a lemon but they told me they're aware of this issue and are working on a patch to fix it.
    I am glad it wasn't only me! It seemed odd that it would keep switiching back to SureType. I have tried ST many times but keep going back to MT, I am so fast and comfortable with MT I just can't see learning ST...BUT so many people swear by it I may give it another chance.
    01-01-08 09:15 AM
    I am so fast and comfortable with MT I just can't see learning ST...BUT so many people swear by it.
    ...and I'm definitely one of 'em

If you decide to give SureType another shot, force yourself to stick with it consistently for at least a week to see if you get comfy.
    01-01-08 11:19 AM
    this tutorial was very helpful! i am going to give Suretype a chance now. Everyone's advice was great--especially about not looking at the screen. I was totally trying to select each word as I was typing it, not realizing that is the worst way to do it. I also didn't know that you can switch back to multi-tap by just hitting the menu button.
    01-01-08 02:04 PM
    Everyone, remember me from 12/10. I was totally frustrated with SureType. I am now sold thanks to the advice about not looking at the screen. PhoneGirl, I'm telling you, go with it, its real nice. I don't really care if they are fixing the problem or not, I'm not going back to Multi.
    01-03-08 11:34 AM
    Ok, I must admit, reluctantly, that I am going to give SureType another chance. I followed the instructions of not watching what happened on the screen and MOST of the words do come up correctly...but the ones that don't are somewhat of a pain...but it is my understanding that next time you type that word it will "work" properly?
    01-03-08 12:50 PM
    ...but it is my understanding that next time you type that word it will "work" properly?
    I think you may be surprised and impressed by how quickly SureType learns and becomes quite smart.
    01-03-08 01:19 PM
    ok, I have to admit that the SureType thing was driving me batty but thanks to my husband sending me the link to this thread-I have tried only looking at the keys and not the screen and it helps...ALOT! I can't say I am a fan of it yet but being a newbie to the BlackBerry world and used to multi tap, I may be able to get used to it.

Now if I can only learn how to download Google Maps and the other things recommended!

Thanks for all the help!
    06-19-08 03:43 PM
    Not looking at the screen is the PERFECT suggestion...type like there's no screen and at the end of the message you'll be surprised with the results!

Why am I repeating the "dont-look-at-your-screen" suggestion? Ah whatever...I'm just beefing that tip by reiterating
    06-19-08 03:56 PM
    My 8130 constantly switches back to suretype, I have to go to the language menu and keep changing it back. It is annoying but not as annoying as Suretype.

If anyone knows how to change this so it stays on MT please post here. If you are just wanting to preach the "gospel of suretype" go ahead and cork it please. I'm pretty sure there are other threads for that.

I think suretype works ok if you keep using the same group of words. I type too many names of products/places and unique terms for suretype to ever possibly know what I intend to type. Any people in the science or medical field have this issue also?

Please if anyone can help fix this problem post away!
    11-03-08 09:52 AM
    My wife's phone has somehow lost SureType. It no longer shows up on the menu. Has anyone seen this before? How can I fix it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 10:54 AM
    I think suretype works ok if you keep using the same group of words. I type too many names of products/places and unique terms for suretype to ever possibly know what I intend to type. Any people in the science or medical field have this issue also?
    I will not preach to you the merits of SureType - even though you should listen, as I was an avid MT texter until I LISTENED to these guys at CB and did not look at the screen as I typed and voila, it works - anyway, as far as your problem quoted above, just go to OPTIONS - CUSTOM DICTIONARY and add the words or medical or science terms you use and ST will recognize them...even if you just type them once while typing a message ST will "learn" those terms...it really is smart. Of course, if you use a word only ONCE in a unique message, this will not help.
    11-15-08 10:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD