I'm getting a memory card for the Pearl today and was wondering if there is a way to move my downloaded apps (On Demand (Sprint-Specific I think), Spring Navigation, Fox Business) to the memory card to just help the phone function a bit more smoothly. I'd also like to move my pictures over.

I'm sure there's a way, but I just don't know how as of yet.

Also, what size card do you guys recommend? I was thinking about a gig to start, not really a HUGE picture or video guy but I'll have an app or two if I think they'll help me out.
    06-20-08 09:14 AM
    All I have is a one gig since I'm not a big pic guy. I have around 50 pics on my phone and some music and still have plenty of room. As far as moving your pics over, you can always use the desktop manager to manage your media. There is a great series of lectures under the Newbies section you may want to review as it covers many topics that we all had questions to in the beginning

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-08 09:20 AM
    All I have is a one gig since I'm not a big pic guy. I have around 50 pics on my phone and some music and still have plenty of room. As far as moving your pics over, you can always use the desktop manager to manage your media. There is a great series of lectures under the Newbies section you may want to review as it covers many topics that we all had questions to in the beginning. I'm using a one gig

06-20-08 09:21 AM
    For the Pearl I would recommend freeing up memory on your device, as there is no way to install apps on your microSD card.

The applications are installed on the system memory, so having free memory is important

I would store all of your media on external storage to help free up internal memory. You could get anywhere from a 1GB to 8GB microSD card for your device

As for freeing up memory... GO HERE

*EDIT* And freeing memory on the Pearl can be very beneficial because they are known for memory problems that result in deleting messages and call logs to attempt to free memory in order to function properly
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 06-20-08 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Info
    06-20-08 09:24 AM
    Oh, I didn't know that. I though you could save apps to the memory card. So, to make sure I'm correct, the memory card is basically for videos, pictures, music and ringtones? Beyond that, any acutal applicatiosn are saved to the phone itself?

If this is indeed the case, I'll definitely keep it to 1 gig or so as I hardly ever use the camera or video capabilities (I know it seems to be a waste to not use it but it's really just something I've never done with any phone....)
    06-20-08 09:37 AM
    That is the case Mike. That's all the card is made for. If you're not a big pic, video, or ringtone guy, 1 gig will do you fine. Welcome to CB!!!!

06-20-08 09:42 AM
    Thanks guys!
    06-20-08 09:50 AM
    alright...

When I bought my Pearl I bought a 2GB card, too. But my call logs (and some important emails) have disappeared anyway...what's the deal? I haven't had the phone that long...the biggest amount of memory being used is probably some music I have on there...only a few pics--maybe 5? The card memory says there's 1.8 GB available and 1.6 GB free!

Also, the fix I find suggested for setting call log preferences, i.e.

"Change Call Log Options: Click the Phone icon. Press the Menu key. Select Options > Call Logging. Change to None (or Missed Calls if you prefer)."

Doesn't work on my device because there is no Options>Call Logging. All I have on the Menu key is Help, Change Line, Call Voice Mail, Edit Lines, Switch Application and Close.

Help?

besiderself
    06-20-08 10:05 PM
    The media card really doesn't help with device memory. It's more about apps, emails, texts, and everything else on the device memory. If you want to maximize your device memory, you really should do what's listed here -

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    06-20-08 10:15 PM
    Thanks again for your quick reply, Chaz;

I am following the steps for freeing up memory. How, though, do I tell whether the phone is storing pics and videos on the memory card as opposed to storing them in the device memory? Does save those to the card by default?

If not, can I move them to the card? If so, how?

besiderself
    06-20-08 10:28 PM
    ...Also, the fix I find suggested for setting call log preferences, i.e. "Change Call Log Options: Click the Phone icon. Press the Menu key. Select Options > Call Logging. Change to None (or Missed Calls if you prefer)." Doesn't work on my device because there is no Options>Call Logging. All I have on the Menu key is Help, Change Line, Call Voice Mail, Edit Lines, Switch Application and Close...
    Chaz answered the first part of your question. Here is the answer to the second.
    Press the Green phone button.
    Press the Menu button.
    Select Options and click.
    Select Call Logging and click.

Now you have your choices of Missed, All, or none.
    06-20-08 10:30 PM
    Thanks, JeffH;

Unfortunately following your steps still led me to the menu list I dictated above. There is no Options option.

When I push the green phone, the screen has Line 1 ###(my number) hilighted, a blank line, and "Type a Name or Number to Make a Call". Which is certainly different from the way it looked a day or two ago. Something obviously went wonky...

Ok...I edited to say I just found the options button...since my number was hilighted, I wasn't getting the correct menu. I put the cursor in the blank line and got the correct menu.

besiderself
    Last edited by besiderself; 06-20-08 at 10:37 PM. Reason: found options button...duh.
    06-20-08 10:35 PM
    Hmmm...let's try another way...
    From your home screen,
    Press the Green phone button.
    Press the Menu button.
    Select Options and click.
    General Options
    Phone List View: Call Log
    Escape
    Select Call Logging and click.

Now you have your choices of Missed, All, or none.
    06-20-08 10:44 PM
    Thanks, JeffH

Yep, I finally got that right. Now, how about the pics? Are they stored on the memory card by default, or do I have to change a setting so that it will do that?

Also, exactly how do I check the device memory? I think I found it, but it says there is 0 bytes free, which is just weird. I don't have that much installed on the thing.

Lastly...are all those little icons and the apps associated with them that came already on the applications screen taking up memory? Icons such as the Axcess shop, Alltel shop, Google Talk, BB Messenger (I use Yahoo...so can I get rid of the BB Messenger safely?).

Thanks, guys...I'm headed for bed but will check back in the a.m.

besiderself
    06-20-08 10:54 PM
    Glad you got your call logging right. My phone doesn't have a camera, so I can't give you specific instructions, but I believe there is a camera option to specify the picture destination.

You check your memory by Options/Status/File Free. You need to keep it greater than 10 000 000 bytes. Unfortunately, 0 bytes is not an uncommon value if you've never performed the memory management steps. That's the procedure that Chaz gave you. With 0 bytes free, you won't have any call logs or text messages tomorrow.
    06-20-08 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD