I know so much has been posted on memory space but I can't figure out why I only have 9269836 of space. I followed instructions on deleting applications I don't use. I really just use this phone as a "regular" phone but do get a few e-mails a day. I also clean my message box. Why is my memory so low??

Oh, and bought a memory card today and put all my photos on it so I cover that part!!

thanks to anyone who can help!!!
    09-21-08 04:38 PM
    Firstly welcome to Crackberry. If you've not done so already I would recommend reading Reed's guide to optimizing your BB's memory. There is plenty of steps you can take to free things up significantly.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Are you closing out of applications properly. ie menu button and scroll to close rather than just pressing the red button?
    09-21-08 04:42 PM
    thanks for the quick response. When you mention closing out of the apps by NOT using the red button can you elaborate?

PS-I am not technically inclined at all. Just good looks, great cook, etc. hehe
    09-21-08 04:57 PM
    So when you are using an application on your BB the best way to exit out is to press the menu button ( to the left of the trackball). Scroll down to the bottom and choose close.

You can exit an application by pressing the red phone button but this will leaving it running in the background taking up memory.

If it makes you feel better I'm a rubbish cook. My wife takes care of all the cooking in our house
    09-21-08 05:02 PM
    ok, closed out of those and noticed my memory increased by a little but not close to 12G. I did set up two e-mail accounts...a gmail and a blackberry.net. I don't need the Blackberry so how do I delete that account?

thanks again.
    09-21-08 05:27 PM
    Do you get online any? You may need to clear your history. Also you may need to do a battery pull.

~ vndlewis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 05:31 PM
    never go online. Just read my e-mails that come through. How exactly do I do the battery pull?

thanks!!
    09-21-08 05:35 PM
    With your phone ON, take the battery out for about 30 seconds. Put your battery back in and let your phone start up. That should give you more memory. Some do this daily.

~ vndlewis

09-21-08 05:49 PM
    pulled the battery and the size didn't change. I have 2 e-mail accounts and don't need the verizon one. I am trying to delete it but cannot figure it out....help!!!
    09-21-08 06:03 PM
    That one I can't help with. Hopefully someone else can help you there. Sorry.

~ vndlewis

09-21-08 06:09 PM
    Figured it out...e-mail settings, delete e-mail account. It increased my memory a little. I give up for now. Think I might stop by Verizon this week. Thanks for your help!!
    09-21-08 06:22 PM
    You are quite welcome.

~ vndlewis

09-21-08 06:45 PM
    just an update on this....went to Verizon and I had some videos that were not on my card-the videos were transferred to my phone from my Dare and then didn't transfer to the media card-Weird! Anyway, have lots of free space now!!
    09-22-08 06:31 PM
    Woo Hoo!

~ vndlewis

09-22-08 09:08 PM
    the sage continues....left the Verizon store and had about 13G. Now just this morning back down to around 9G. The only thing I added was some friends on BB Messanger; but deleted those conversations....any ideas???????
    09-23-08 11:37 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

In your first post, you mentioned installing a memory card.

In order to benifit, there are a couple setting changes you should make.

Open Media Center, press Menu and choose Options.

Under General, Device Memory Limit, change it to the lowest value your OS includes. That will be 12 Mb with the original OS. That will save you 3 Mb.

Under Pictures, Reserved Picture Memory, change it to 0 Mb. That will save you another 5 Mb.

There are further savings available, but that will insure you have plenty for normal operation. It is normal for it to use 8-10 Mb for it's internal purposes, as long as you stay above the Device Memory Limit, everything will work correctly.
    09-23-08 01:37 PM
    thank you...did those. I am about 11G. I called Verizon and tech support said there will be a software update in about a week and it should solve this problem for me?!?!? thoughts??
    09-23-08 03:47 PM
    That is good to know. I have Verizon.

09-23-08 04:26 PM
    I don't know about anyone else but it's frustrating that this phone can't seem to hold what a normal cell phone would without running low on memory, argh!
    09-23-08 05:39 PM
    I feel your pain! I have 4.5 on my Verizon 8130...haven't had any memory issues with this one. Its my 2nd. Until today! 2 hours after I posted that I hadn't had any issues...irony! Don't have a memory card and have 8317911 Bytes
    Free...anyone know if that's good?
    Also, I had softreset and it disappeared from my home screen??? Any ideas??
    Thanks in advance...

09-23-08 06:43 PM
    Soft reset does not work on 4.5 also your memory is to low. It needs to be over 12000000.

~ vndlewis

09-23-08 06:53 PM
    the Verizon rep said this new software update coming up is suppose to be the cure all for the low memory....she said look for it in about a week
    09-23-08 06:56 PM
    That fits with my observations on the current generation of v4.5xx updates.

The big change is the elimination of sample files from the build. That will free up about 6 Mb of space.

It makes sense, anybody doing an update has already experienced the full set of samples and will likely have removed them too.

It is new customers that will still have to deal with samples.
    09-23-08 07:01 PM
    Yea I have no sample images or videos on there after the update. So Verizon is going to make an official release? That's good news, I got my from the blackberry site...so my memory is too low,so what can I do?
    Buy a memory card I'm assuming? Delete texts daily and emails as well...clear browser cache the works?
    Will Verizon take this serious as a complaint?

09-23-08 07:09 PM
    Like I mentioned before, my cell seemed to be able to save more messages!

How does someone know what version of software they currently have??
    09-23-08 07:18 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD