I have an 8130 am running 4.5.0.175 and I have a major memory leak. I do have lots of apps but I removed a lot of the extra things on the original os. When I installed the os I had around 16 mb after a battery pull and now I am starting with around 8.5 or 9. On top of that the memory drops drastically pretty quickly and I need to do a couple of battery pulls a day. Is it the os? Is it a specific app? What do I do? I tried to do a search but I need help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 10:22 PM
    Ok, first of all when you close your apps, do you just hit the escape/hang up button? Because in order to fully close a program you need to go thru the menu and choose close. Otherwise it continues to run in the background and eat up your memory.

Also clear your browser cache every time you close the browser by clicking menu> options> cache operations> then delete everything. Cache eats up alot of free memory.

Those were the 2 biggest culprits when I had my Pearl.

Do you have Quickpull? I highly recommend downloading it and setting it to reset your phone on a daily basis if you're having this much trouble.
    12-31-09 03:10 PM
    I have an 8130 am running 4.5.0.175 and I have a major memory leak. I do have lots of apps but I removed a lot of the extra things on the original os. When I installed the os I had around 16 mb after a battery pull and now I am starting with around 8.5 or 9. On top of that the memory drops drastically pretty quickly and I need to do a couple of battery pulls a day. Is it the os? Is it a specific app? What do I do? I tried to do a search but I need help.

Ok, first of all when you close your apps, do you just hit the escape/hang up button? Because in order to fully close a program you need to go thru the menu and choose close. Otherwise it continues to run in the background and eat up your memory.

Also clear your browser cache every time you close the browser by clicking menu> options> cache operations> then delete everything. Cache eats up alot of free memory.

Those were the 2 biggest culprits when I had my Pearl.

Do you have Quickpull? I highly recommend downloading it and setting it to reset your phone on a daily basis if you're having this much trouble.
    Good start! To add to this also clear out your logs regularly, i.e. phone, message, event, etc. these can also bog down your memory.

More importantly though is you said you have a lot of apps amnandpn. The best way to find what is causing memory leak is to delete ALL apps and load them back up 1 by 1 every hour at least monitoring your memory throughout. This will pinpoint the app that is the culprit of causing your leak. It is tedious i know but its the best way to do it. Post a list of all your apps and themes and games that you have n your device and I can help you narrow it down.
    12-31-09 03:17 PM
    Thanks I do clear the cache frequently and I close down my apps properly. I have downloaded quickpull but it doesn't really work maybe its my bes settings. As far as call logs I delete them but we are talking about drastic fluctuations so I doubt that that's the problem. I have installed

bbweather
    poynt
    quicklaunch
    appworld
    pageonce assistant
    podtrapper
    Maratick
    Google voice
    Google maps
    Google sync
    Amazon
    CB launcher
    Empower SMS viewer
    Empower SMS popup
    Maxmem

As I am writing this list it seem excessively long for a pearl but keep in mind that after installing the os I had 15 mb free and then I deleted BB maps and 4 themes and instead p going up I have settled at around 9 mb after a battery pull and need to pull the battery at least once a day (more like two). I really appreciate the help.

Ps just wondering if anyone knows does installing and then deleting apps leave a memory footprint that is only cleared my installing a new os or does the gradual permanent loss of of free memory come from something else.

01-03-10 10:25 AM
    Thanks I do clear the cache frequently and I close down my apps properly. I have downloaded quickpull but it doesn't really work maybe its my bes settings. As far as call logs I delete them but we are talking about drastic fluctuations so I doubt that that's the problem. I have installed

bbweather
    poynt
    quicklaunch
    appworld
    pageonce assistant
    podtrapper
    Maratick
    Google voice
    Google maps
    Google sync
    Amazon
    CB launcher
    Empower SMS viewer
    Empower SMS popup
    Maxmem

As I am writing this list it seem excessively long for a pearl but keep in mind that after installing the os I had 15 mb free and then I deleted BB maps and 4 themes and instead p going up I have settled at around 9 mb after a battery pull and need to pull the battery at least once a day (more like two). I really appreciate the help.

Ps just wondering if anyone knows does installing and then deleting apps leave a memory footprint that is only cleared my installing a new os or does the gradual permanent loss of of free memory come from something else.

OK so first I would recommend getting rid of crAppWorld. That is a huge memory hog as well as leaks consistently. Everything on crApporld you can find elsewhere and if its a paid app, cheaper. Lose it! Just go with CB App Store(Mobihand) and if you must have the mobile client on your device then I would recommend that one as well.

Empower Apps I believe are pretty large and correct me if I am wrong but I believe that they are always running in the background. Anytime an app needs to always be running it is going to eat a lot more memory and more quickly.

MaxMem is really useless. Whatever you delete using it will be reloaded if it is all still in your OS file when you connect to DM so get rid of it. Read this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/max-mem-51276/

If you want to remove stuff like VAD, languages, preloaded media ans well as more then I recommend manually removing the .cod files from the OS folder or use Shrink-A-OS to get rid of a lot of junk and free up space.

As I said in my previous post the best way to test is to start fresh and load up apps one by one to test what is eating up memory and causing your leaks. Do full 30 sec battery pulls, as this is the best way to make sure files are completely removed after deletion.
    01-03-10 11:02 AM
    Thanks I will take your suggestions max mem does work for me as I almost never connect it to the computer I did remove things like vad with it and themes etc. However I couldn't get it to remove ringers and such so they are still there. As far as the empower apps I don't think they run in the backround though I don't know any way to check except to use the switch application function and it doesn't show there. I was considering deleting the viewer any way as it slows everything down and basically just makes SMS colorful. But I paid for it and that makes it difficult

01-03-10 11:12 AM
    The major problem I see, is starting as low as you are. The second you scan your SD I'll bet you see a 5MB drop. There's just not enough memory to carry all the OS, without using Shrink or manually on a PC cleaning it up. MaxMem is great, but one slip up and you're done. At least if you do it on PC, you can reinsert what you've taken out. When I had my Pearl, I liked starting at 20+, or there was no way I'd get through the day.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

01-03-10 08:50 PM
    Here is what i would suggest First Get rid of Apps that you do not need, continue to exit your apps correctly, also if you still have quickpull lose it, it aint worth a dang... also clear your event logs by holding alt then typing (not multitap) LGLG then menu>clear Logs also if you do not have a MicroSD card get one and move all pics and other media to the card any questions BBM Me
    01-04-10 11:11 PM
    The apps, as I said are better reduced to what you really use, and some are much more friendly to memory than others. Using shrink on your OS, or manually shrinking it as much as possible is absolutely necessary to get as small a base as possible. QuickPull, while I personally prefer a battery pull, is not a bad program. Clearing the event log is a total waste. It only caches 200KB, and will within an hour of use, have itself back to capacity again. An SD is a must. Moving the lessons off the forum doesn't benefit anyone. Better it be discussed here, where everyone can learn.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-04-10 11:53 PM
    Thanks everyone for all the help (though I suspect at this point the answers ar no longer directed at me) I was just wondering I used maxmem and was a little nervous to use shrink an os or something like that since I don't really know what I can remove. As of now I got rid of BB maps vad themes help section etc have a memory card have no sample pictures or videos but still have all the ringtones and don't know how to get rid of them. Any other ideas? I am up to 11.5 mb at startup and I think its slightly more stable but not what it used to be.

01-07-10 10:39 AM
    I would be much more concerned about using MaxMem. With shrink, you're at the PC, and if you remove something you wanted, you just uncheck it, and press put back.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-07-10 11:29 AM
    Max Mem is intended for one time use. Once you have removed the things it can deal with, delete it too.

Memory Optimization on the 64 Mb Pearl is a challenge. I start with 18+ Mb and run weeks between resets. It will hover around 10 Mb most of the time.

bbweather
    poynt
    quicklaunch
    appworld
    pageonce assistant
    podtrapper
    Maratick
    Google voice
    Google maps
    Google sync
    Amazon
    CB launcher
    Empower SMS viewer
    Empower SMS popup
    Maxmem
    In addition to all that, you have data saved in memory.

Use Options / Status. Menu / Database size to review how much space is being used.

first I would recommend getting rid of crAppWorld. That is a huge memory hog as well as leaks consistently. ...
    Some may feel BlackBerry App World is a resource hog. I don't agree, in fact, the ability to use Archive (save your programs to your SD card) has make it a must have. When you use it, you may notice your memory is being used to store all the content you are viewing. When you close it, all of that memory is recovered and recycled back the Sun Java software that runs everything.

01-07-10 12:20 PM
    Wulf, Reed and JGutie have covered the most important steps, also you can download BBNotePad which will replace the native MemoPad. I highly recommend BBNotePad since you can save your notes via ya sd card and then back them up on your pc since they are saved as .txt format vs MemoPad that uses your precious memory resources to save the files on your BB. I think BBNotePad is about 135MB but I am not sure.
    01-07-10 12:34 PM
    " I think BBNotePad is about 135MB but I am not sure."

You mean kb right?

01-07-10 02:24 PM
    " I think BBNotePad is about 135MB but I am not sure."

You mean kb right?

Yeah, my bad on that. I am out of it today.
    01-07-10 02:30 PM
    bbnotepad OTA

01-07-10 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD