Hello All Users and Abusers,

I am at my wits end!!! I recently upgraded my OS to 4.5.0.77 because i have read numerous posts on how great 4.5 is for the file free memory on the Pearl where people are now running 18, 19, 20 and even as high as 23 MB of free memory with the upgrade. I am with Telus in Ontario, Canada and I used the 4.5.0.77 from Cellular South. I consistantly run 15MB (fresh after a battery pull) and lower. I can do a battery pull everyday if I could, but it's becoming annoying.

I have read Reed McLay's How to increase BlackBerry's File Free Memory numerous times, and I will admit that some of the steps helped, but that helped me acheive the 15 MB. The "Better" and "Slightly more difficult" steps I can't even perform because it doesn't give me the option to do most of the steps, and I run a 4.6 Desktop Manager.

Please help me with this, where is my memory leak? What steps or measures can I take?? Like I said earlier, I have read a lot of memory optimizer steps and none are working. Any feedback is great, I am willing to do anything.

Thanks!!
    10-28-08 09:01 PM
    What steps are you having difficulties with?

Did you optimize the memory BEFORE you installed the OS. Using Crackmen to get rid of preloaded wallpapers, vendor themes, and other stuff?
    Did you follow the proper upgrade/downgrade procedures?
    10-28-08 09:06 PM
    Download Crackmem http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/ Open it select the things you want to remove PTT preloaded junk etc. Then run app loader again and all that stuff will be pulled out of the os.
    10-28-08 09:08 PM
    Ok, I have never heard of CrackMem and I will give it a shot. A co-worker of mine just explanined to me how to use it. He also explained Reed's steps as well. I will post back and keep all informed.
    10-28-08 10:55 PM
    Hey Spuds, I am glad you posted your feedback, and let me reasure you the process is safe and effective.

Good call on finding a geek to help out, advanced to professional skills are nice to have available.

The challenge is finding the balance to make it most useful and effective. It was developed in parallel with Pete6's CrackMem free utility. CrackMem is part of the advanced class.

10-29-08 12:36 PM
    Who said upgrading to OS 4.5 increases memory?! maybe because some modules are not installed... but this would represent a very small amt of memory.

Following Reed's guide will mainly help if you do the more advanced memory optimizations steps. If you can, use Pete6's CrackMem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 12:39 PM
    Well everyone, I will be the first to admit when i have messed up, and I did mess up.

As I mentioned earlier, my fellow Crackberry geek told me the proper way to follow Reed's post and the use of CrackMem, and I am pleased to announce that I run 18175456 Bytes right now and I am very happy, I wouldn't mind freeing up some more, but hey, beggers can't be choosers. I know how to use it if and whenever my carrier (Telus) releases their version of 4.5 for the 8130.

One other question, is it normal for the file free memory to continuously drop day after day of regular use that involves a lot of SMS, and receiving emails until a battery pull is needed? I do regularly prior delete all of my messages by the end of the day which does restore some of the file free, but not all of it.

Thanks to all that helped me here!!!
    10-29-08 06:01 PM
    I find the biggest drain on memory is from the browser and using Google Maps. I would regularly clear out the browser cache and history after long sessions. Also make sure you actually exit out of programs (menu, exit/close) instead of just hitting the "end" button. You can see what programs are running by pressing alt-esc.

I can go three or four days and only lose about 1-2 megs if I don't use any applications, just make phone calls. I also delete emails after reading as a lot of HTML emails can be huge in filesize.
    10-29-08 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD