What does the memory cleaning do when it runs, and please don't say it cleans them memory. I look at my files bytes free and the number is the same after the memory cleaning runs. Should I have the setting set as enabled upon holstering and idle?
    10-30-08 01:58 PM
    What does the memory cleaning do when it runs, and please don't say it cleans them memory. I look at my files bytes free and the number is the same after the memory cleaning runs. Should I have the setting set as enabled upon holstering and idle?
    I have mine set to run when holstered and when idle. It's a security function that deletes the contents of sensitive data caches: the Address Book Cache; Certificate Search; Certificate Status Manager; Clipboard; Content Protection Cache; Encrypted Messages; Key Store; and PGP Key Search. These caches are so small that you won't be able to detect them in file free.
    10-30-08 02:03 PM
    How useful is running the memory cleaning if it doesn't actually effect the file free memory?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 04:46 PM
    It isn't supposed to free up memory. It deletes personal information from the caches I listed. I don't know that there's any point to that either, since someone would have to gain access to your device to get the info, but RIM is famous for their security and this is one feature of it.

I don't know if the caches are even in the memory that's reported by File Free. They could be in the memory that's blocked by the OS and unseen by the memory reporting tool, which would explain why you don't see any result from running the tool.
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-30-08 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
    10-30-08 04:53 PM
    As Jeff said... It's purpose is a security tool, not a memory free-ing tool. You won't see much if any change in file free.
    10-31-08 06:56 AM
    Why doesn't the memory cleaner stay enabled after a reset or battery pull!
    10-31-08 08:32 AM
    Why doesn't the memory cleaner stay enabled after a reset or battery pull!
    That's a known bug in OS 4.3 and higher. It does stay enabled after a reset or battery pull in OS 4.2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-08 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD