Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find it.

I am wondering if someone can explain to me what the memory cleaning does that is inside of the security options. If enabled it gives me the option to clean the following:
    address book cache
    certificate search
    certificate status mgr
    clipboard
    content protection cache
    key store
    pgp key search

I guess what I really want to know is that if I enable this will it erase any important infor? For example, the address book cache, will this erase any of my contact info?

Thank you,
    11-29-07 01:09 PM
    where did you find the "memory clean" option?
    11-29-07 01:39 PM
    where did you find the "memory clean" option?
    OPTIONS
    SECURITY OPTIONS
    MEMORY CLEANING
    11-29-07 01:42 PM
    i don't see that, does it only come up on the pearl? i have the curve 8320
    130hp likes this.
    11-29-07 01:55 PM
    i have it on my curve (8300) ...

i believe this is due to the flash memory that the BB uses ... sometimes (just as with a computer) flash memory isnt completely cleared when the application that is using it is finished with it so you have "used" memory that is just a waste ... the memory cleaner function helps to releave this ...
    11-29-07 02:06 PM
    I used it on mine today and it did not remove my contacts.
    11-29-07 02:28 PM
    I used it on mine today and it did not remove my contacts.
    its not supposed to ... it only gives you back "wasted" memory ... i believe that (the curve atleast) does this every 5 minutes or so (depending on your settings) automaticly ...
    11-29-07 02:45 PM
    its not supposed to ... it only gives you back "wasted" memory ... i believe that (the curve atleast) does this every 5 minutes or so (depending on your settings) automaticly ...
    Oh I know, I was just letting kakjea know that it will not remove contacts. I saw for the first time this morning and used it. I wasnt afraid as I have my contacts and whatever else, backed up.
    11-29-07 03:19 PM
    So what does it do? If it is enabled it does this every several minutes? It doesn't seem like it's a one-time thing...

HMM
    11-29-07 03:47 PM
    Here is the jist of it: which can also be found here: Blackberry.com

What the memory cleaner does from the RIM knowledgebase:

Details
    Your handheld's memory can contain sensitive information such as passwords, email message bodies, and private keys. To eliminate the risk of that information being compromised, BlackBerry supports a feature called Memory Cleaner. The Memory Cleaner has two main functions:
    1. Secure Garbage Collection
    2. Clearing Caches
    3. Secure Garbage Collection

All Java objects are stored on the handheld in RAM or flash memory. Normally, when a Java object is no longer needed, the memory assigned to that object is released to be overwritten by new data. When Memory Cleaner is enabled, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) overwrites the memory using zeroes before it is released. As a result, there is no way to retrieve the data from the memory chips.

Clearing Caches

Memory Cleaner clears various caches on the handheld including the temporary key store, content protection caches, address book caches, and the handheld clipboard. See the Additional Information section below for the complete list of cleared caches.

When it actually works:

Installation

Memory Cleaner is installed and enabled with the installation of the S/MIME Support Package. Memory Cleaner is installed with BlackBerry Handheld Software version 4.0, but is not enabled until Content Protection is enabled.

Automatic Activation

Memory Cleaner is activated automatically when:

The handheld is synchronized with the desktop.
    The user locks the handheld.
    The handheld locks after a specified amount of idle time.
    The user changes the time or time zone.
    DeltaJoy likes this.
    11-29-07 11:53 PM
    u just cleared everything up for me!!! thank you EtherealLover!!!!
    11-30-07 12:57 AM
    When Memory Cleaner is enabled, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) overwrites the memory using zeroes before it is released. As a result, there is no way to retrieve the data from the memory chips.
    So it doesn't actually clear out the memory, but rather overwrites the data therein with blank data.

Would this be a correct assumption?
    12-19-07 03:12 PM
    Can ı ask something?

actually , i wanna erase phone book , but not phone book that on GSM-CARD , i wanna cancel all of adress & number on Phone Book , but i cant find option that to help me for erase one times all of them ( because there are 600 contacts )

ı have BB 8820...

thanks for help
    01-02-08 10:57 AM
    Use the desktop manager - go to backup, advanced. You will see the databases on the B. Select the address book and clear. If you want to save any before, copy them to the SIM.
    01-02-08 11:38 AM
    So it doesn't actually clear out the memory, but rather overwrites the data therein with blank data.

Would this be a correct assumption?
    Not to sound condescending, but that's what clearing out data means (writing blank data / zeros / etc. etc. etc.)
    01-02-08 03:23 PM
    I just wish it were a default to enabled - if you sync or install something or whatever it revers back to disabled.
    01-02-08 03:54 PM
    Use the desktop manager - go to backup, advanced. You will see the databases on the B. Select the address book and clear. If you want to save any before, copy them to the SIM.
    Thanks A lot...
    01-03-08 07:57 AM
    so to further the questions, does this do the same,more, or less compared to memoryflash which is a paid 3rd party app. whats the differences?
    12-06-09 08:00 PM
    I'm not familiar with MemoryFlash. The Memory Cleaner is a security utility, not a memory utility. Most users have no need for it. Using it will not increase your available app memory by any appreciable amount.

You can use this feature if you install the S/MIME Support Package or PGP� Support Package on your BlackBerry� device. See the S/MIME Support Package User Guide Supplement or the PGP Support Package User Guide Supplement for more information.

Memory Cleaning
    Clean When Holstered: Yes
    Clean When Idle: Yes
    Idle Timeout: 5 min
    Show Icon on Home Screen: No

Registered Cleaners
    Address Book Cache
    Certificate Search
    Certificate Status Manager
    Clipboard
    Content Protection Cache
    Encrypted Messages
    Key Store
    PGP Key Search

From the PGP Support Package User Guide Supplement. The BlackBerry device automatically turns on the feature for secure garbage collection when the PGP Support Package for BlackBerry devices is installed and the private key of the user is on the BlackBerry device. When the feature for secure garbage collection is turned on, the BlackBerry device performs the following actions:
    • overwrites the memory reclaimed by the standard garbage collection process with zeroes
    • periodically runs the memory cleaner application, which tells BlackBerry device applications to clear any caches and make available the memory associated with unused, sensitive application data
    • automatically overwrites the memory that the memory cleaner application makes available when it runs
    The memory cleaner application is designed to delete unreferenced or cached decrypted content from the BlackBerry device, including content from the PGP application, PGP key store, content protection cache, address book cache, PGP key search, and BlackBerry device clipboard.
    You can set the memory cleaning application to run automatically when the
    • user synchronizes the BlackBerry device with the computer
    • user locks the BlackBerry device
    • BlackBerry device locks after a specified amount of idle time
    • user changes the time or time zone on the BlackBerry device
    12-06-09 08:55 PM
    I can chime in on MemoryFlash. That's different than the Memory Cleaner. It does a "Full" garbage collection by calling System.gc(), which provokes the system to do GC when there's anything significant to be done; otherwise the system just passes on the request to avoid wasting time and power unnecessarily.

What MemoryFlash is for is to automatically do GC at convenient times and give you the ability to manually trigger it at convenient times, so that it will happen less at inconvenient times. i.e. If you're about to start playing a game, that's a convenient time to do it, which puts the next one off for as long as possible while you're playing the game. Then the automatic triggers are set for things like when the backlight times out, which is a more convenient time to take a few seconds out than some random moment when you're in the middle of something later.

MemoryFlash doesn't mess with your caches. You may want to keep those.

If you're concerned about having the "Memory Cleaner" run automatically even when 'disabled', you can also get various utilities that make it run at times you select. One of them is LogCut, which is for deleting logs automatically but also has an option to run the Memory Cleaner at intervals you select.
    12-13-09 11:46 PM
    i don't see that, does it only come up on the pearl? i have the curve 8320
    with all due respect, open your eyes. the feature is there on my bb curve 8320
    11-25-10 09:59 AM
    TYVM Ethreallover I tried so many tips even from BB site, and could not remove the p/w protection even tho it said disabled. Then I read the posts here and tried the 'memory clean' a shot in the dark and it worked!! I am so relieved.
    Wonder why this is a problem for so many when security is so important?
    12-31-10 12:03 AM
    Sorry forgot to mention I have a Storm 9530
    12-31-10 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD