I also posted this in the General Discussion thread

When I got up this morning, I looked at my BB and all emails, phone calls, and text messages had vanished except the ones I had specifically saved. There were about 600 calls/emails, etc. It's possible that my memory was full, but this morning, I hear messages arriving, but I cannot view them.

I sent myself a test email from my computer about 10 minutes ago and when it finally arrived, I heard the BB "arrival tone" and the email momentarily showed up in the list of messages, and then promptly vanished.

I did call the phone and the phone call showed up at first in the message list, but it has vanished, too.

When I go to "view folders," my list of folders is:
    browser messages
    missed calls
    phone call logs
    SMS inbox
    SMS Outbox
    WAP push messages

All folders are empty except for one in the SMS inbox from May, 2008!

I feel a little crazy at the moment, so I may be overlooking something obvious... any ideas?? Is there some setting that I need to change/change back?

Sorry to sound so incoherent. I feel like I raised the window shade in my bedroom and my whole neighborhood has disappeared!

It's a Pearl 8130/Sprint.

It's as if the main folder (if there is one) has disappeared. I hear the arrival tone, but I can only view saved messages in the main window.
    10-28-08 06:15 AM
    This is due to low memory. Go to Options>Status>File Free. Here you should have at least 12,000,000 free bytes. If not follow the steps in this link to help free up memory: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 06:20 AM
    Thanks for the reply. My sanity is temporarily saved.

I did most of the things suggested in that thread (the things that didn't scare me). My BB is running again and life is good.

Here's my next question: I don't have a memory card, but I plan to go immediately and buy one. What can I move to that card to save memory in my device? I don't download music, videos, photos, or ringtones. I don't use the calendar or task list (I remove those during the above purge.) I use my BB only for email, phone, and browsing a couple of sites on the web. How can I optimize memory by adding the memory card?

Also, when I go to start> programs> Blackberry, there are three options in the final list: Readme, Blackberry Device Manager, and Desktop Manager. I can open Desktop Manager, but when I click on Blackberry Device Manager, nothing happens. Is that a separate program that should open?
    10-28-08 10:18 AM
    Device manager is device drivers, for like usb charging etc. You don't need to access it.

As for your memory card question. I keep nothing in device memory. The memory card is mostly for media. (music pics video). Doesn't sound like you use much of that so a 1 - 2g card will be plenty for you. Just get in the habit of deleting messages you don't need. Do me a favor go to options>status and tell me how much File Free memory you now have.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 10-28-08 at 10:34 AM.
    10-28-08 10:26 AM
    Not sure about the second issue, since I don't own a PC. But the first one I can answer. The only things you can put onto a memory card are pics, music, ringtones, stuff like that. If you don't intend on having any of these on your BB at all, then you'd be better off saving your money.

Hope someone can help you out on the second issue.

10-28-08 10:26 AM
    Right now my free memory is

17,189,303 bytes
    10-28-08 10:47 AM
    You should be good with that memory. Just try to manage a number above or around 12,000,000.

10-28-08 10:49 AM
    Thanks, y'all.
    10-28-08 11:28 AM
    You should be good with that memory. Just try to manage a number above or around 12,000,000.

.....Agreed.
    10-28-08 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD