Hi all you guys! I've been browsing this site since getting my Pearl earlier this week, and I'm LOVING this Blackberry! I'm sure someone has asked this question at some point, but the only complaint I have thus far is I'm seeing quite poor results when it comes to my Pearl's battery life. I charged my phone last night til around 10:30pm and then I turned it off until 6:00am. From 6:00am to now (3:30pm) I've sent roughly 75 SMS messages and made one call, and nothing else. The battery was at 55%! I've had to charge it each day since getting it.

I'm used to having the LG Dare prior to this which lasted almost 2 weeks without charging, but still, every day seems a little much. Is it possible I don't have a good battery, or is there something else I can do? My Bluetooth is disabled unless I'm in my car, and I did have the GPS turned on (whether that could be a factor I don't know).

Any help people can give would be greatly appreciated!

-J
    Last edited by J2edHawk261; 05-15-09 at 02:43 PM.
    05-15-09 02:34 PM
    I have to charge mine every day...

Not a huge deal to me...
    05-15-09 03:06 PM
    I charge mine about every day as well..I think i saw a battery booster or something on here. Not sure though...I'm a total newb. lol
    05-15-09 03:43 PM
    05-15-09 03:55 PM
    I think that seems like a little excessive battery drain to me...with minimal use (one or 2 short calls and maybe 10 bbm messages and a little brief browsing) in an area with strong signal, I use about 20% battery life in an 18 hour powered-on day)

Probably the first thing I'd look at is what applications you have running in the background. You will always have homescreen, browser, messages, bbm and phone running. However, some other apps running in the background can have a significant impact. If you have applications you aren't using, close them with the close option in the menu or the back arrow key, rather than sending them to the background with the red end-call key. I know in my case leaving the camera running in the background inadvertently has killed my battery in less than 10 hours. Other apps that might be culprits are things that periodically poll for data, like Ubertwitter - try lengthening the interval to reduce the number of polls.

Also, if you are in an area with weaker coverage, this will have a negative impact as well.

I don't think 45% battery burn in a day is horrible, but I think it might be made better...

good luck
    05-15-09 04:04 PM
    I've noticed the strength of signal affects my battery. I can fully charge it at home, got to work for 8-10 hours (average about 20-30 text messages and a couple of calls) and only use 5-10%, and that is at full signal strength. At home where I only get 2-3 signal bars, I can leave it on overnight and it goes through about 20-30%.
    05-19-09 01:44 AM
    I put my BB on the charger every night when I go to bed. O ne thing that will help is having a holster or case that turns off the backlight. I've noticed a dramatic difference in the life of my battery because I almost always have it holstered.
    05-19-09 02:03 AM
    I have my backlight set to turn off after 10 secs, which I'm sure helps as much as having the holster does, but it's weird how it seems to be majoritally dead (20-25% battery) after around 14-16 hours of use. (6:00am til around 10pm daily) Will the extended life 1250 battery really make that much of a difference?
    05-21-09 07:00 AM
    OP. You could have a defective battery. It happened to me on my pearl.
    I went to Verizon, explained the situation, and got a replacement on the spot that was much better.

Give it a shot!
    05-21-09 07:05 AM
    I charge mine nightly aswell. I go from 6am till 10PM and normally have 20% battery or sometimes as low as 5% depending on what I do threw the day

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 07:06 AM
    Ok yea I might give that a shot then! I'm hesitant to go back into the Verizon store though...I've had nothing but trouble with them since I switched my plan over when I got this Blackberry!
    05-21-09 07:43 AM
    You can always call 611 from your cell phone or 1-800-922-0204 from a land line and talk to the techs and they can mail you one.
    05-21-09 07:44 AM
    I tend to charge mine everyday just because I can't stand for my phone to die..typically i text alot and make a few phone calls tho. I just assumed that since it does more than my old phone it takes more battery life..
    06-02-09 08:37 AM
    I have not had really any problems with my battery life too bad knock on wood. I talk on my phone alot and surf the net too I mean alot!!! But I have another battery on standby if needed I had another phone that was horrible on the battery and that is my Samsung Delve that I have and it is unactivated now cause I have my BB Pearl I am sticking with BB. So yeah the Battery life could be better on the Pearl from what I am seeing from alot of people but the battery seems to be fine compared to the phone I was using.
    06-02-09 10:50 AM
    Make sure you are exiting out of your programs not just backing out hit the left menu key hit exit not the right back button. I charge mine nightly and am planning to get the extended life battery this weekend to help with having to charge every night. I use mine more than my computer so my battery is in the red with about 5% at the end of the day. I start at 5am and put it on charge by 11pm.
    06-04-09 07:40 AM
    I am having this problem too (new BB user here), and I assumed it was either endemic to the Pearl or that I had a bad battery on the used handset I bought on eBay. How do I check to see what apps I might have running in the background & properly exit them?

06-05-09 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD