where can i find the option to have the phone automatically lock after 15, 20 etc min of inactivity and then require a password to unlock it? also how do i set this password, where do i find the option to do that? i look under options and cant find it, and when i click on the lock icon on the homescreen it just locks the phone but doesnt ask me to creatr a password or anything to unlock it
    03-03-08 03:02 PM
    options>security>general settings>enable password...

-db

you can set duration there as well.
    03-03-08 03:11 PM
    options>security>general settings>enable password...

-db

you can set duration there as well.

ok i went there and i see the option enable/disable...but i also see number of password attempts listed...i dont see anywhere about how long for timing out b4 it locks the keyboard?

is this where i set the password to lock to unlock the keyboard and tell it when to lock it? im only asking bc i tried running the destop installer to sync w outlook b4 and it started asking me for passwords and telling me i had 10 tries to guess it, so im confused and hoping this wont do that all over again?

i just want to be able to have the phone automatically lock the keypad after 15-20 min and make me enter like a 4 digit code to unlock it?
    03-03-08 03:17 PM
    Is this what you are looking for?
    Look at the auto lock
    geek and proud - BlackBerry Software
    03-03-08 03:20 PM
    security timeout should be it...

if you have set a password for the device this is where you can turn it on or off...

set the time out for 15-20 minutes whichever and when you try to use the phone it will ask for a password...

i have password disabled because it becomes a nuisance after a while..but you may love it...

-db
    03-03-08 03:20 PM
    #1 doesnt the 8130 do that with the security timeout or am i wrong??

-db
    03-03-08 03:21 PM
    what about security timeout. my password is disabled. but right below there's the security timeout my is set for 2 min.
    03-03-08 03:25 PM
    if its disabled the security will not engage..

click enable and you will have to enter your password...

-db
    03-03-08 03:28 PM

-db
    db... I don't know. I've never tried it. I don't use password protection, with my luck I'd either forget it, or someone else would wipe my phone for me. I have my keypad lock set to my side convenance key.
    03-03-08 04:51 PM

-db
    Ok I just tried it.
    Password off, time out set to 1 minute: Nothing happened.
    Password on, time out set to 1 minute: Locks the keypad, and requires a password to unlock.

With the AutoLock from Geek and Proud, it locks the keypad, and doesn't require a password unless you have one set.
    03-03-08 05:04 PM
    got it thanks...

-db
    03-03-08 05:57 PM
    when i disabled my password, and do type it in wrong, why does it still count to the 10 and then wipe the device
    03-03-08 06:30 PM
    is there an advantage to locking the keyboard versus putting the phone in standby mode?
    03-05-08 09:30 PM
    is there an advantage to locking the keyboard versus putting the phone in standby mode?
    Keys locked: Still at full power, only keys don't work. You can see you have messages, missed calls, LED flashes.
    Stand-by: Powered down state conserves battery, keys don't work, but no LED flashing to alert of a missed call or that messages have arrived.

I have my side convenience key set to lock the keyboard. I like locked vs standby.
    03-06-08 04:37 AM
    Yes there is a security timeout. I use the password enable all the time as 1/2 my Contacts are confidential & I can't have anyone poking their noses in my BB.
    03-06-08 10:17 AM
    Can i get help on how to DL this to my curve? Coz the PC doesnt recognize .jad file and so is my curve?
    06-28-08 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD