What is going on here. I saw posts about memory issues being low and such.

I looked at my phone and I started with 50mb and it says free space, 5mb....

I jusut got my phone 2 days ago...

I got sprint, so that has stuff on it; but I put on :

Vllingo,
    A demo of the HTML Email Program
    AIM by Sprint
    PocketExpress

and thats it... any reason why I have NO room.. and yes I deleted the video that they gave me
    07-11-08 07:50 AM
    After a fresh OS installation on my 8830, I only have 10 mb left...and device memory is the same as yours, 48mb.

So yes, it is normal.

There is some ways to delete unused features, such as Voice Activated Dialing, and default themes....
    07-11-08 07:59 AM
    After a fresh OS installation on my 8830, I only have 10 mb left...and device memory is the same as yours, 48mb.

So yes, it is normal.

There is some ways to delete unused features, such as Voice Activated Dialing, and default themes....
    Will this create problems... I mean I see people saying you shouldnt have less than 12!? I mean.. I dont want stuff to start going crazy I deleted yahoo onesearch and im up to 10.. I thought deleting empower email would be good too, but that freed up nothing, so i might reinstall that.

Does Vlingo take up a ton of room? or is 10mb going to fine with the pearl..
    07-11-08 08:01 AM

So yes, it is normal.
    It would be stretching it to say this is normal... and it is very misleading to do so!! Operating your Berry with under 12mb free is not really effiicient, to say the least, and can result in lost call logs and messages!!

Check Options > Status > File Free... you should always aim to have 12Mb or more (that is 12,000,000 bytes!)

To help with this issue, please follow Stoner's guide in my signature!
    07-11-08 08:03 AM
    I always have less than 7mb on mine and everything is fine. I deleted Voice Activated Dialing, the Today and Icons Dimension themes (kept the L and Zen), deleted the default wallpapers...and it works perfectly ! The only thing that does not work is the About page in the Options menu.
    07-11-08 08:04 AM
    It would be stretching it to say this is normal... and it is very misleading to do so!! Operating your Berry with under 12mb free is not really effiicient, to say the least, and can result in lost call logs and messages!!

Check Options > Status > File Free... you should always aim to have 12Mb or more (that is 12,000,000 bytes!)

To help with this issue, please follow Stoner's guide in my signature!

I never lost any e-mails or call logs on my device....

....and also, unfortunately, the best way to free up memory is to do a battery pull. Sometimes I get 5-7mb back by doing this.
    07-11-08 08:06 AM
    I always have less than 7mb on mine and everything is fine. I deleted Voice Activated Dialing, the Today and Icons Dimension themes (kept the L and Zen), deleted the default wallpapers...and it works perfectly ! The only thing that does not work is the About page in the Options menu.
    Well good luck with that

P.S. And the reason the About screen does not work is because you removed VAD! It is a known side-effect...
    07-11-08 08:08 AM
    I never lost any e-mails or call logs on my device....

....and also, unfortunately, the best way to free up memory is to do a battery pull. Sometimes I get 5-7mb back by doing this.
    Believe what you want, I was just sharing some advice!

If you feel it is safe to run under 10Mb, the power to you... and good luck

And if you recover that much memory from a batt pull, then you may wanna look into memory leaks... etc! And you might also want to close programs properly, if not already doing so, to prevent leaks...
    07-11-08 08:10 AM
    Yeah...I think that there is a lot of memory leaks on this device, and on every single OS I tried lol !

As long as the phone and all it's features work, I don't really care about how much memory is left...really.

But thanks for the advice !
    07-11-08 08:18 AM
    I have been uninstalling like mad because I am worried about stuff..

I wanted to leave VLingo and AIM in there, so really alll I will have is the sprint stuff (tv, nav) vLingo and AIM.....

With only those installed I only have 12 mb left..

What gives... this is hardly anything, so why is there no room.
    07-11-08 08:19 AM
    Do pictures take a decent amount of space? I have a couple of them? I mean... how big are the pictures we take mb wise?
    07-11-08 08:20 AM
    Do pictures take a decent amount of space? I have a couple of them? I mean... how big are the pictures we take mb wise?
    Just follow the link to Stoner's Guide in my signature

Believe me... then follow the guide. You will be fine!

Get a microSD card to store pics on... it will help save memory. Even if you do not have a lotta pics, without a microSD part of your memory is reserved for picture use
    07-11-08 08:22 AM
    It depends on the quality settings you choose when taking picture. If you select something like 2 megapixels for your picture, they could be....500kb, maybe ? I don't know how much excatly, it depends on the device... I never had a Blackberry with a Camera on it... but i remember that my old Sony Ericsson was taking 400kb pictures at 2 megapixels with the camera.
    07-11-08 08:24 AM
    Just follow the link to Stoner's Guide in my signature

Believe me... then follow the guide. You will be fine!

Get a microSD card to store pics on... it will help save memory. Even if you do not have a lotta pics, without a microSD part of your memory is reserved for picture use
    I looked, I will try when I get home. I deleted my pictures and went to 16mb.. but I still deleted some of my apps I might reinstall 2 of them now. Because they took hardly any room) However, How can i delete songs (there is 1 song thats almost 1mb that is the sample song the phone gives you) from the phone itself. I cant seem to find the option like I did for the movie and pictures
    07-11-08 08:26 AM
    It depends on the quality settings you choose when taking picture. If you select something like 2 megapixels for your picture, they could be....500kb, maybe ? I don't know how much excatly, it depends on the device... I never had a Blackberry with a Camera on it... but i remember that my old Sony Ericsson was taking 400kb pictures at 2 megapixels with the camera.
    Yeah the pics I took were 400-600kb each, so that freed up like 5 megs for only a couple pics
    07-11-08 08:26 AM
    Yeah the pics I took were 400-600kb each, so that freed up like 5 megs for only a couple pics
    There you go...! You should really buy a microSD card.
    07-11-08 08:29 AM
    You should REALLY follow the Memory Optimization link referenced above and buy a memory card to store your media. Pictures, music, videos etc take up lots of precious free memory.

Just because one person has no problem running on 7mb does not make it true for everyone, there are numerous people here who have lost messages and call logs as soon as they dip under 10mb. You should really take a moor proactive approach to managing your memory.

The battery pull is merely a bandaid over the injury, you should really treat the injury at the source instead!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 08:29 AM
    You should REALLY follow the Memory Optimization link referenced above and buy a memory card to store your media. Pictures, music, videos etc take up lots of precious free memory.

Just because one person has no problem running on 7mb does not make it true for everyone, there are numerous people here who have lost messages and call logs as soon as they dip under 10mb. You should really take a moor proactive approach to managing your memory.

The battery pull is merely a bandaid over the injury, you should really treat the injury at the source instead!!

I understand, But it seem like with hardly anything on the BB it has no room to begin with. I am concerned with following the guide and deleting all this random stuff, A lot of what he lsits are like 40kb things.. I mean.. comeon

I just want to be able to have a couple apps on the phone to help it out. I mean the phone is already kick ***, it just needs some supplementing. :0
    07-11-08 08:38 AM

You have a pearl.. how much memory do you have?
    07-11-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD