Hello all! I signed up on 12/19 with Cellular South. Got a Pearl 8130 on their data plan or whatever and got just the unlimited text and talk for mysonand got him a free flip phone. I quickly became addicted to my BB.

Last night I dropped it in some water. Of course, I didn't have insurance. I've put it in rice and it powers up and can even receive calls but none of my buttons work. My trackball scrolls but doesn't "push". Is there any hope? And if not, does anyone think maybe I can upgrade my son's line to the same data plan and get him a Pearl and just swap lines with him? I really *need* a BB now...
    01-04-09 10:11 AM
    Try leaving it in the rice for a few days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 10:15 AM
    The best bet is to let it dry more. Usually it takes a few days before its fully dried, powering up before that can damage the device further. Also try a different battery (after continuing to dry) and see if that helps. If you can upgrade, you should be able to do an ESN swap without any troubles.
    Sorry to hear about this. Placing your BB in rice was the best thing to do but as we all know, water and electronics don't mix. You could take the BB completely apart and place it in a bag of rice? Hopefully you can upgrade and get a new BB.

Although it's hard to tell the old one goodbye, a new one is always welcome.

BTW - Welcome to CB!
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. Best thing to do I would think is call your provider and be honest with the rep. Ask them the questions you asked here and see what happens. GOOD LUCK.. I usually put it in rice as you did and take it apart and use a hairdryer. On the low setting and I dont oner heat the device. It worked for me.

GOOD LUCK
    Hello all! I signed up on 12/19 with Cellular South. Got a Pearl 8130 on their data plan or whatever and got just the unlimited text and talk for mysonand got him a free flip phone. I quickly became addicted to my BB.

Last night I dropped it in some water. Of course, I didn't have insurance. I've put it in rice and it powers up and can even receive calls but none of my buttons work. My trackball scrolls but doesn't "push". Is there any hope? And if not, does anyone think maybe I can upgrade my son's line to the same data plan and get him a Pearl and just swap lines with him? I really *need* a BB now...
    Try the above solutions for the phone, as for upgrading your sons plan & getting a Pearl, and swapping lines, this would only work if he was due for an upgrade, and seeing you got his at the same time as yours, I am gonna take a guess and say that it's not due. You could do as suggested, and call them and see if there is anything they can do for you.

May I also suggest, getting insurance, while on some of my previous phones I have not, I have in recent years always gotten insurance, especially on a phone as high end as a BB, yes, it is another additional fee each month, but, just as in your case, you never know...
    01-04-09 10:48 AM
    My wife laundered her Moto RAZR - I put it over one of the house heat ducts over night and in the morning it worked fine.
    02-07-09 12:17 PM
    Take the back off and look down the hole by the SIM card. There is a small. plastic square there. If this is white, take it back and ask for a replacement phone. If it is red then the phone has been in contact with water and they won't replace it.

You could always try and see if yo make it out of the store with a new phone but if the liquid detector has changed color then your prob'ly won't
    02-07-09 12:30 PM
    Are you sure that you do not have the insurance? Most places that I have dealt with sign you up automaticaly with the insurance.
    02-07-09 01:59 PM
    Hmm... I have a pearl core that has a busted track ball... lemme see if I can find it.. maybe you can make use of it!

I saw an add.. some carrier is offering the pearl for $19.95 with contract of course...

Pete's right, I can speak from experience. They don't take it back if the square is red..
    02-07-09 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD