i have a bb pearl 8130 and am with verizon, i spent roughly the last 3 hours deleting apps off my bb and erasing call logs and browser caches. i have a 5GB memory card and all my pictures are stored on it. i have no music on my phone and the only 3rd party apps i have is vz navigator and facebook... anything else i add im afraid will kill my memory. i just deleted a few games to get me to the magic number of file free 12,106,876 out of 50,462,720 file total. i dont have a pc or labtop and this is my first bb, im just tired of losing all my call logs sms and mms and emails. i bought a bb to be able to use it for work and play and i cant add apps or games cause the memory is low, what more can i do to prevent my sms and mms from being deleted
    01-19-09 11:47 AM
    1st thing to note is you'll never get close to 50 as most of that is used up by the OS and by suretype. That being said, I would try getting rid of facebook, it's been notorious for killing memory and jamming up e-mail receipt.

What's your setting for keeping e-mails? Maybe drop that down a little too.

If it's any consolation I run somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 on my Pearl on a daily basis...

If you have the stomach for it, you can do a search for CrackMem and CrackUtil (sweet programs created by Pete6, one of the mods here) and try those to tweak some more files...
    01-19-09 12:29 PM
    Thanks

yeah i knew i wouldnt come anywhere near that 50 but i couldnt find an average memory for blackberrys so i was unsure about how much memory i could get up to.

thanks for the help im definitely gunna check out those programs
    01-19-09 01:13 PM
    Did you set your Reserved picture memory to 0, instead of 2 or 5mb? That clears up a lot if you have a memory card to save pictures on
    01-19-09 02:03 PM
    My question is: is 13-14mb free about normal? I did a memory clean, cleared the browser cache, and got nothing more. Did a battery pull and now I'm at 17. I have d/l v.89 but just haven't yet convinced myself to try doing an upgrade.
    01-19-09 02:09 PM
    When I updated my pearl I got a lot more memory. All of the preloaded wallpapers are gone on the newer os and that seemed to really help.
    01-19-09 02:41 PM
    When I updated my pearl I got a lot more memory. All of the preloaded wallpapers are gone on the newer os and that seemed to really help.
    which version are you running? my vzw 8130 has v.77 now.
    01-19-09 02:46 PM
    The upgrades do not have the memory wasting sample pictures or videos, that frees about 5 Mb of memory.

The OP does not have a computer for the upgrade, so it has to be done from the device itself.

There is a program, MaxMem, that installs on your Pearl. It will remove the samples then you can remove it from memory.

It is linked near the top of the first post:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

01-19-09 04:24 PM
    i don't have sample pics or vids, and i removed the help app, that was about as useful as the manual that came with phone. right now i have 17 mb free but that was after i did a memory clean, browser cache clean and a battery pull.
    01-19-09 09:00 PM
    my understanding is that the memory number you're looking at is like the equivalent of RAM, and things like pictures, applications, etc. use the equivalent to your hard drive (so deleting pictures will not increase that number). Every time you remove an app, it restarts your phone, which is like a battery pull and it will free up any "RAM" you have being used (that's why it goes up right after, but will go down any time you delete something but haven't restarted).

If you do a daily battery pull, it will keep your "RAM" as empty as possible and keep that "magic number" to about where you want it to be. (Granted, this all came from a verizon tech support guy, so I don't know how truly accurate it all is.)
    01-20-09 02:25 PM
    Clearing out the pictures WILL help with memory. 17 is actually pretty good - better than me. Facebook is a memory killer.

My suggestion would be to see if you can use a friends computer to update your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 02:31 PM
    Well, then I think I'll stick with v.77 for now. I seem to be running smoothly, and no sense in fixing something that "ain't broke".
    01-20-09 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD