Can I use the now 'unlocked' GPS with Blackberry Maps and Google maps?

I downloaded VZNav and installed it and It seemed rather clunky and slow.. I'd be happy to use the other programs with it, and even pay the steep $10 to access something i've already paid for in the phone itself..

Also I do not want to carry around a GPS puck.. I have GPS in the car, but lately have found myself either outside, or not in my car, in need of GPS..

What do you guys think?
    12-03-07 07:48 PM
    Does anyone pay for this service?
    12-04-07 12:14 PM
    as usual w/ verizon, they're trying to sell u something u don't absolutely need or that u can get for free.

the new google mobile map app has a psuedo-GPS that triangulates your position based on cell towers. no $10 needed. of course, if you need pinpoint accuracy, GMM also works with the GPS service.

www . google . com / gmm /
    12-04-07 12:21 PM
    as usual w/ verizon, they're trying to sell u something u don't absolutely need or that u can get for free.

the new google mobile map app has a psuedo-GPS that triangulates your position based on cell towers. no $10 needed. of course, if you need pinpoint accuracy, GMM also works with the GPS service.

www . google . com / gmm /

Thank you for your response! So if I correctly understand you, if i pay for VZNav then Gmaps will recognize my internal GPS? The faux-gps has me off by about a mile.. which in my case is too much
    12-04-07 02:19 PM
    if i pay for VZNav then Gmaps will recognize my internal GPS?
    My 8830 will NOT allow Google Maps to use the GPS chip, and I have paid for and used VZ Navigator .

I would assume the Pearl would be the same.
    12-04-07 06:06 PM
    I decided to try what you are suggesting and signed up for Verizon Navigator. I found that Google Maps and BlackBerry Maps still cannot obtain the internal GPS data.
    You are stuck either paying for (and using) VZ Navigator or carrying a GPS puck. I am going to use the puck and cancel Navigator.
    12-04-07 09:32 PM
    I decided to try what you are suggesting and signed up for Verizon Navigator. I found that Google Maps and BlackBerry Maps still cannot obtain the internal GPS data.
    You are stuck either paying for (and using) VZ Navigator or carrying a GPS puck. I am going to use the puck and cancel Navigator.

Thank you for your reply,

That is so frustrating! While you tried it out at any point did you think it would be worth it? Was the program reasonably good?
    12-05-07 02:08 AM
    I pay for VZ Nav. It's a great program. It will find you exactly, make maps around you or anywhere in the US, local search based on where you are and trip planning. It works as well as any voice nav system out there even searches your address book to create directions. I cannot understand why you need Google or Blackberry maps anymore. This has built in mapping with location and directions all for $10/month. I deleted BB maps, don't need 2 map programs. This is an all in one solution for me.

Gary
    12-05-07 06:24 AM
    VZN works great for me too, though I have considered getting a puck to try out BBMaps and Gmaps for functionality. VZN has been good for me, been using it for several months and I must say, has been worth the $10/month. I have been able to navigate to every address I have put in it, and being in a service position where I do alot of traveling, to me, that says alot. The maps are pretty accurate and up to date, and the GPS locates my to within 50-100 feet! The local search is good too, if you need to find a business in the area your in. For example, I was in Dothan, AL a few days ago and needed to find a local store, as I am unfamiliar with Dothan, I fired up VZN. It found and navigated me across town to the store without a hitch! That one trip saved me time, frustration, and the purchase of a local map.
    12-05-07 07:11 AM
    I like VZ Nav, and find it to work more or less as well as my mother's Tom Tom. The important thing to me, with regards to GPS navigation, is having voice prompts. That way, I don't have to look away from the road, even for the split second it takes to check the screen of my BB. Furthermore, most GPS programs are going to charge a fee to get updates to the maps, so why not pay $10 for a solution that's quite capable and works just as well as a stand-alone unit?
    12-05-07 07:51 AM
    Garypip, rebel526, and Shemmy,

Thank you for your replies! Your reviews really will help me make my final decision. I got rid of BB maps because compared to Gmaps it was pretty horrible. I do like being able to see the satellite on Gmaps though..

The next time i'm near a store I might just add this feature and try it out for a month!

Thanks again!
    12-05-07 08:52 AM
    I have been using VZ Navigator for a couple weeks and like it.
    12-06-07 10:36 PM
    I like it how VZW reps disguise themselves to sell their own bad product to innocent users like us. Very nice VZW, but next time you want me to delete a better program than what you offer then i will literally throw my BB through a VZ store window
    12-06-07 10:46 PM
    I like it how VZW reps disguise themselves to sell their own bad product to innocent users like us. Very nice VZW, but next time you want me to delete a better program than what you offer then i will literally throw my BB through a VZ store window
    Wait go on! That sounded like it was going to be good! Which program did they tell you to delete?
    12-07-07 12:54 AM
    I'm a real person. Just got my Pearl last week (and LOVING it!). I had previously had the RAZR, which had no other GPS options other than vznav. I actually used it semi extensively and honestly it worked pretty well. With that being said, the BB version definitely isn't as good at the moment, especially since it's at least a version behind and can't do the web sync.

Also, Google Maps isn't really a real competitor since it can't do voice navigation. However, Google's maps are way better, you can actually quickly navigate around the screen, it has satellite maps, traffic overlays and so on, which VZNav just doesn't have.

Yes, I think Verizon needs to unlock the GPS, especially since we PAID for it. But in the mean time, I will actually use VZNav, but it would be nice to see some 3rd party GPS software actually work with the internal GPS.

BTW my wife has the AT&T Curve, and it's a beautiful phone. I've played around with google maps on it and it does work pretty well (gets your exact location and follows you around to within a couple of meters). However the data on this phone is VERY SLOW to the point of being extremely painful for me to use. I would rather deal with being locked out of the internal GPS then to have to use AT&T's painfully slow data network.

Oh, and yes, we get great reception at our house, so that's definitely not the issue with the AT&T phone.
    12-16-07 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD