I am SO frustrated with my Blackberry Pearl (8130). I've had it for less than a month and have had more problems with it than any other phone I've ever had. Can anyone help me with these problems?

1. the damn hourglass. I have plenty of memory (I have a media card), but sometimes that hourglass will come up and rotate forever.

2. Last night I was texting and it shut off by itself, just went completely black. The battery was fully charged and it had plenty memory. I tried to turn it on and guess what? HOURGLASS forever. So I did a hard reset and it fianlly turned back on. Trouble is, the RADIO turned off. I didn't realize it until I tried to make a call this morning, but it really worried me that the radio turned off by itself - I could miss calls and not even realize it!

I already "close" all my applications, and do an auto time on/time off every day (I've heard this helps with the memory problem - my call log used to clear itself ALL the time before I did this).

So any suggestions???? I'm ready to throw this thing out the window.
    04-25-08 08:41 AM
    What software have you installed on it, and specifically, have you installed any Blackberry themes? Badly written themes are a big culprit for crappy performance/errors
    04-25-08 08:48 AM
    What software have you installed on it, and specifically, have you installed any Blackberry themes? Badly written themes are a big culprit for crappy performance/errors
    Thanks for your reply!

The only thing I've installed are two games and a checkbook organizer app. I'm using one of the themes that originally came with the phone. I downloaded one, but have since deleted it. What do you think?
    04-25-08 08:56 AM
    OMG!!!!!!! My heart dropped when I read this post's title . Check out the thread for memory management, and if all fails take it back and have it replaced

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-08 08:57 AM
    cdma/gsm berrys have alot more problem than the GSM only berys an have alot of hardware freartures locked own go with a GSM carrier if you havacarrier if you can
    04-25-08 09:25 AM
    If you are within the 30 days, exchange for a new one. I am in love with my Alltel Pearl!!! I did the memory clearing and haven't had a memory leak since. I only had about 3 before that since I got it in December. There are a lot of tips and tricks to make sure you don't get memory leaks but if you are getting the hour glass, I know how annoying it is to wait for it to reboot!

I also do a battery pull every few days to ensure I don't have a leak!

Good Luck, and don't be hatin the Pearl,
    04-25-08 09:30 AM
    Hello Liaudr,

In case you did not realize it, the media card does not add phone memory for the operating system. The media cards only give you a place to keep photos, music, videos, etc. The memory for the phone's operating system is only the built in memory. If you go to Options > status it will show how much memory is available for the operating system (File Free: 15000000 bytes). So in my example, 15000000 bytes = 15 Mega bytes free. As you read through this site, you will find many of the experts here recommend keeping about 10 Mega bytes of free memory for your phone to work best.

I started reading this site when I was still looking for a new phone as a guest (February). I found a lot of great information and have since been addicted to this site ever since. As you read through more and more of this site you will see some of the topics covered several times, but its still worth reading.

Good luck and don't give up on your phone, you will come to love it.
    04-25-08 09:37 AM
    Guess it's some software/theme which you downloaded which is causing it....You may think of wiping it....
    04-25-08 09:45 AM
    delete pics...they take up a ton of space
    04-25-08 09:49 AM
    I would get it replaced right away, I wouldn't want to take the chance on it dying. Good luck!!
    04-25-08 10:00 AM
    I had the same problem with my new 8130, but only after I downloaded a program from Handango...apparently their patch program to allow the download caused the problem. Your phone is in a constant state of rebooting so you can't do anything with it. I could have replaced my phone, but it was late Friday night and I was so worried about it I completely downloaded and re-installed the OS, then had to do several other steps to get all of my functions back...but with the help of two members here I was able to fix it completely by 2 am!. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you can have the store, in my case Verizon, reload it for you. Good Luck and let us know what happens.
    04-25-08 10:14 AM
    Hello Liaudr,

In case you did not realize it, the media card does not add phone memory for the operating system. The media cards only give you a place to keep photos, music, videos, etc. The memory for the phone's operating system is only the built in memory. If you go to Options > status it will show how much memory is available for the operating system (File Free: 15000000 bytes). So in my example, 15000000 bytes = 15 Mega bytes free. As you read through this site, you will find many of the experts here recommend keeping about 10 Mega bytes of free memory for your phone to work best.

I started reading this site when I was still looking for a new phone as a guest (February). I found a lot of great information and have since been addicted to this site ever since. As you read through more and more of this site you will see some of the topics covered several times, but its still worth reading.

Totally agree.

Start by reading here and trying some of the tips and tricks to increase your memory. When you finally learn the ins and outs of the phone I'm positive you'll love it.

I got frustrated with mine too when I first got it but after non stop playing with it for 3 days I finally figured it out and loved it.

Although, I still haven't fully grasped exactly how to to the whole call waiting thing with it. I can switch to the incoming call but haven't quite figured out how to switch back to the first call after ending the second.
    04-25-08 10:19 AM
    Always make sure you back up your phone. When I first got the pearl I didn't back it up and was having the same problem as you. I tried to install a program and it totally wiped out my phone. Just the hour glass would come up then blank screen the hour glass again. Verizon did send me a new one but everything was lost.

04-25-08 10:20 AM
    Take it back, if you've had it less than a month, why mess with it, start fresh with a new one.

04-25-08 11:32 AM
    Another thing is if you have a bad service book that is corrupt. You may want to delete all of them and have them resent.
    04-25-08 11:35 AM
    OMG!!!!!!! My heart dropped when I read this post's title . Check out the thread for memory management, and if all fails take it back and have it replaced

Do you have a link to this thread? I read one here on freeing up space, but I already do everything it suggested. Thanks!
    04-25-08 03:49 PM
    Another thing is if you have a bad service book that is corrupt. You may want to delete all of them and have them resent.
    this probably sounds stupid, but what is a service book?
    04-25-08 03:51 PM
    Like a catalog of everything that was installed on your phone when you received it: messaging service book, wireless calendar service book, browser service book, etc..

Almost forgot.....Welcome to CrackBerry
    04-25-08 04:08 PM
    Hello Liaudr,

I agree!
    04-25-08 04:17 PM
    Just try and stick with it! There is a huge learning curve to get the hang of it!

I too was a tad frustrated at first, but not its an extension of my arm!

Coming from a Q, this is almost as close to sliced bread!

04-25-08 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD