I have had my 8130 for almost a year and almost every day I have to do a battery pull. And sometimes I have to do it more than once in a day; it's quite annoying. Is this standard of all Pearl's or should I try and cash in on my warranty? Advice, please.
    07-06-09 08:02 PM
    It depends a lot on what you have loaded on your phone. I have a bold and 8900 and rarely do a battery pull on them unless I am tinkering with them. Are you "needing" to do the battery pull because the bb freezes or gets slow, or...

If you have a lot of apps running and not much filefree memory then you may want to make sure you close your apps as you are done running them. You may alo want to try an app like logmaid to make sure your logs are clean and make sure you are deleteing old email to free up space. 1 battery pull a day is not too odd for a power user though. Let us know why and maybe we can offer up some good advice.

Good luck!

JB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 08:09 PM
    I do battery pulls because my file free memory goes to zero and my text messages get deleted. This happened the very first day I got my phone, I couldn't receive messages other than emails for a few days.
    07-06-09 08:32 PM
    How long have you had the phone? How many texts to you get? lol do you have 3rd party apps running? What os version are you running? You may want to do a backup, wipe your device and load the newest os on the bb and give it a shot.

07-06-09 08:36 PM
    You should not have to do a battery pull. Given what you've stated, it sounds like you need to free up some more memory. That's a special problem on Pearls, since they have to dedicate additional memory to the Suretype database.

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below about 12 000 000 bytes, the phone may start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File Free Memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    07-06-09 08:38 PM
    Once or twice a week.
    07-06-09 08:39 PM
    Jeff is correct you definitely have a memory problem. Hopefully those steps will help. Definitely delete/remove any apps and sample files that are loaded by default.

Great advice Jeff!

JB

07-06-09 09:00 PM
    Also try and clean your internet cache... I clean the cache and history everyday...

07-07-09 02:48 PM
    I do a battery pull every morning, and I frequently empty my history and cache.
    07-07-09 03:17 PM
    I pull about once a week.

Pretty much everything else has been said already.

I normally run around 5-7 000 000 file free and my phones fine. It is a little slower than it used to be but it is barely noticable and with regular maintenance, I rarely have any problems. The reason I say this is I hear all the time you need to have at least 12 000 000 file free and (at least in my case) this is not true.

Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 07-07-09 at 05:31 PM. Reason: my phone is dumb and cant spell noticable.
    07-07-09 04:19 PM
    I agree...I run on 7 or so too and usually not a problem... When it gets slow I do a battery pull...

07-07-09 06:26 PM
    I have run on 5 on my old curve often and it didn't kill it lol, I think the 8mb file free is a bit of an old wifes tale as long as you have a few megs free lol I have actually been down to 3mb and that didn't fo anything but make me concerned lol.

07-07-09 11:09 PM
    I downloaded quick pull and its scheduled to run at 3am and that's been about a week or more ago and I haven't had to do a manual pull myself since then I think. Maybe that will help you? Come to think of it all the lagging has stopped too!
    07-08-09 10:56 AM
    I never had to do a battery pull, but i don't have too many apps installed on my BB, but i will try the quickpull mentioned by bluedragonfly, just in case if i decide to install some stuff, thanks........
    07-09-09 11:59 AM
    The 12 MB file free that I quoted above does seem to be overly conservative for OS 4.5. I am running 8 MB file free at the moment with no problems. OS 4.5 seems to be better at managing memory, and working well with less free memory, than earlier versions. I may update my recommendation for the future.

07-10-09 06:10 AM
    I also have the app "quickpull". Works great. Have it set up to reset at 4:30am every day. So I wake up to a clean BB. Highly recommend it.

07-10-09 06:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD