i was wondering what everyones file free memory was averaging........i currently have only 8 third party apps installed........here is what i try and do almost daily......... i clear all my SMS, MMS, email messages, phone call log and cache browser......then i do a SOFTRESET, which is one of the apps I have and the best number I am getting is around 8.4 million....not sure if that is good or bad.......is doing a battery pull the same as a softreset? thnx for any help
    09-28-08 03:51 AM
    12,000,000 is recommended for files free. If you drop below this number your BB will be looking for ways to increase the available memory, like deleted logs. The BB also might do crazy things. Hope this helps.
    09-28-08 07:24 AM
    F8lpony, 8mb is quite low. Take a look at this thread, I know it has proved useful to a whole load of people. It offers a number of ways of increasing your free memory.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    09-28-08 07:48 AM
    Mine is constantly at 4mb and I don't seem to have any problems, does this mean I'm doing something wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-08 08:13 AM
    It's quite possible that with a low amount of device memory the Blackberry will try and free up memory itself. This may mean that call logs, sms and emails may start to get deleted. Take a look at the forums everyday for the threads that read "help my emails/call logs have dissappeared"

Its really worth taking a look at the thread I posted earlier. I appreciate you may not be experiencing any problems at the moment but best to be prepared.
    Last edited by gritmaster; 09-28-08 at 08:19 AM.
    09-28-08 08:17 AM
    Before I upgraded my OS from .52 to .81, my status would drop to 8 mb easily. A battery pull would bring it back to about 12 mb, and maybe 13 mb if I was lucky. Now that I have upgraded when I do a battery pull I get up to 18 mb.

This upgrade on the OS has been awesome in that regard... of course I keep my sms, email, etc., cleared out every day, and close programs using the menu key. It's just a minor maintainence on my daily "to do" list that is worth the effort to get the performance on my BB.
    09-28-08 08:29 AM
    There are several variables that affect how much free memory you have and when it will become an issue.

Have you completed the Setup Wizard? One of the steps will delete unused language packages, that is a big help.

Second, have you installed a media card? There are a couple of setting that will reduce the amount of reserved memory and free up about 8 Mb.

Third, do you still have your pre-installed sample video, music and pictures? Removing them will free up another big chunk of memory.

I have an 8120, after memory cleaning with CrackMem, It has nearly 25 Mb free.

The link gritmaster posted will guide you through the procedure.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-28-08 at 12:14 PM.
    09-28-08 12:11 PM
    I would do like Reed said, get all the junk you don't need off the device. And make sure you have no videos or pictures on the device memory itself, just the media card. Pics and vids are killer on device memory...
    09-28-08 12:17 PM
    OK so my only beef with the pearl is the memory or .. lack there of. I was having huge issues with it for a long time with it eating my call logs and messages, which was anoying, but it got out of hand when it started running really slow.

So after searching forums on the best bb site ever (crackberry) . I did the following which really helped since I to have a considerable amount of apps installed.

Ok first I deleted Help/Voice acitvated dialing/some stock themes and a few other items like the language. Which is explained how to do in the posted earlier in this thread. But even after all that I was still only up to 8mbs.. sooo..

I upgraded my OS to 4.5 from virgin mobile. (I have verizon) deleted vendor file.. but that helped memory alot I had like 16mbs.. still though it was running really really slow..

(my boss reco a device wipe since there was prob reg files that were set for 4.3)

So I did it.. after snycing contacts and notes and blah blah.. device wiped it.. well I'll tell you i started with 24mbs and after installing all of my 3rd party.. meaning Jive talk / vz navigator (1.4mbs ugh) / google mmaps / live search / google app / face book.

Now three days later i still have 11mbs with a few days of msg and email and call log.. and the device runs SO SO SO much better.. I was getting frustrated and ready to move up to curve.. but didnt want to just in the interest of size.

If you are comfortable removing a few files from the os I highly recomend the upgrade to 4.5 (o i deleted VAD and theme too in 4.5)

just my 2Cents.
    09-28-08 01:20 PM
    One of the nice feature of v4.5xx, they have removed the preinstalled media, that frees up a good chunk of space.

It is normal for the device to use memory, but as long as you are not intruding on the Device Reserved Memory, you are in good shape.

Another nice feature of v4.5xx, Device Reserved Memory can be set to 5 Mb, a huge improvement over the 12 Mb v4.2xx/v4.3xx allows.
    09-28-08 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD